Strobing micro stutters, whats your experience?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
magdy

Strobing micro stutters, whats your experience?

Post by magdy » 25 Mar 2023, 09:28

I was wondering what the experience will be playing with strobing playing abit above my monitor's refresh rate like at 220fps uncapped on a 144hz monitor
Will it be annoying?
My question is if i want to have a consistently smooth bfi experience + low inputlag
what is the better option here since im confused:
Low lag vsync tricks(wonder if its dated )
Frame capping via game engine
Yolo uncapped 250-200 fps? (chief said its lowest latency but i dont think 200fps is overkill)

If u know of better options pls let me know :D

knypol

Re: Strobing micro stutters, whats your experience?

Post by knypol » 26 Mar 2023, 07:02

If U don't mind screen tearing (which in BFI mode is horrible) then find maximum fps u can get in-game without exceeding about 90% of Your gpu usage. Lowest input lag u get via in-game limiter.

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 26 Mar 2023, 18:30

Depends on many things. You have 144Hz monitor, so I'll write about this case only, as having 240Hz, 360 or higher can be different.

First of all, depends on the game. Then on the framerate. Then the settings.
If you want the absolute lowest input lag, you may not be able to achieve it while having perfect motion quality. You'd need to have the frames synced so 144fps at 144Hz. You'd also need a mouse capable of running at 8000Hz USB polling rate, then a game supporting this USB polling rate for mouse control. In this case, you'd get considerably better motion quality in the setup wchich would have significantly worse latency (input lag)

If you don't have all the things, the mouse, the game, the framerate stable enough etc. then I guess you won't lose that much if you just play without v-sync.
For me, as long as framerate in CS:GO stays above 200 (and I unlock it to 480fps via a command in the game's console) it's good enough. In competetive game, I don't really need the best motion clarity. I mean, I'd aim at that if I can, but it's not a game breaker like in single player games. The tearing coming with v-sync not being enabled, is not that bad. At least in CS:GO. It's absolutely horrible at 60Hz, but everything is horrible at 60Hz, even without any tearing, so anyway :D

As to which method would be best, NV framerate limits via Rivatuner etc. - I don't have much experience in pursuing the lowest latency in mouse controlled, competetive gaming, so I won't be able to help you with this. But while motion quality is a very niche topic, where it's not easy to find any good info besides this forum and Blurbusters page, the latency and settings for specific game+GPU combination, should be a rather mainstream stuff. Duckduckgo it, or Bing it. (I don't like Google ;))

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2023, 08:55

While framerate=Hz is better for strobing, brute framerate compensates.

Strobed 480fps at 120Hz will have half the stutter-vibration amplitude (size of jitter) as strobed 240fps 120Hz.

It's a mathematical function between two frequencies, and the brute oversampling of framerate far above Hz has benefits:
- Lower latency (freshest frame delivered)
- Ability to keep using VSYNC OFF if you prefer (esports preference)
- Less jittering (due to brute framerate above Hz).

But you should also at least /test/ this against things like RTSS Scanline Sync. It's a tearingless VSYNC OFF technology that can play jitterlessly at framerate=Hz. Your mileage may vary -- it depends on your priorities (aim stabilization, Rainbox Six style arena gaming, ability to see things during panning DOTA2 maps, etc).

The magnitude of benefits vary in differeng games, and sometimes framerate=Hz produces better competitive scores for certain use cases; e.g. if you need perfect-jitter-free strobing like www.testufo.com/map in a crosshairsless game.

For CS:GO strobing, you'll probably want to just use brute framerate above Hz. The more framerate excess above Hz during strobed VSYNC OFF, the less the jittering is visible, because the roundoff errors are smaller between gametime:photontime.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2023, 08:59

RonsonPL wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 18:30
If you want the absolute lowest input lag, you may not be able to achieve it while having perfect motion quality.
That's correct. Pros/cons.

That's why in SOME games, you may have faster human reaction time without jitters. Adding more input lag to the system to reduce human lag if the jitters are bad enough to slow down your human reaction time -- remember the human reaction time is part of the lag chain.

For example, for CS:GO, the benefits are marginal enough that just using brute-framerate VSYNC OFF may be best. For panning-identification and camoflage-identification-critical events during fast pannings, framerate=Hz may be best. The lowest-lag strobed "framerate=Hz" technology (if you don't have strobed VRR that you can in-game framerate cap) will usually be RTSS Scanline Sync, since it's a software implementation of tearingless VSYNC OFF as a ultra low lag VSYNC ON clone, but only works well if your GPU utilization is under 50%.

One compromise is to brute-force the jitters by using massive excess of framerate above Hz. The more the merrier, as every doubling of framerate above Hz, will halve the jitter-ampitude (halve the millisecond timing divergence between gametime:photontime).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!