Crosstalk more a problem than Ghosting itself ? [ DyAc Strobing Crosstalk Issue ]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Angel Soler

Re: Crosstalk more a problem than Ghosting itself ? [ DyAc Strobing Crosstalk Issue ]

Post by Angel Soler » 11 Apr 2023, 02:13

Hello everyone.

I have read everything you have written and I want to intervene and give my opinion because I have felt very identified with the Chief's words.

With my comment I do not want to sow controversy or misunderstandings, I just want to give my opinion because I feel very grateful to have discovered this forum and I have learned a lot from Chief. I feel very grateful and for this reason I want to intervene.
I also use a translator, so I apologize in advance in case any of my contributions are misinterpreted.

I'm 47 (very close in age to Chief) and I completely agree with everything Chief says.
I have been a video game player since I was 8 years old. For me it is more than a hobby, it is a way of life.
I grew up with CRTs. I know exactly what Chief means by double imaging games at 30fps on 60hz TVs. It was the most common thing in the world hahahaha.

When the first LCDs started, I panicked. It was unbearable. I hate blur. It gives me a headache, anxiety.
It prevents me from enjoying what I like most in the world, which are video games.
And I also hate lag.
Lag and blur are the cancer of video games.
I am a competitive player (very competitive) especially in fighting games. But I am also a fan of the great adventures (Zelda) and I like that they look with the softness in the image that they should have.

I say all this so that you can see that I am a person who knows what I am talking about.

Well, for me, having discovered this forum, and specifically having met Chief and his teachings, has been the best thing that could have happened to me as a player of a lifetime. I NEED the strobing. Without this technology, we would NEVER be able to enjoy all the legacy we have from the last 60 years. What's more, all console games go to 60 (now, with play 5 and series x we ​​are starting to see some at 120) and without strobing it is impossible to see these games as smoothly as they should be.

I've tested literally hundreds of monitors, and haven't seen anything that even comes close to the XG2431. Only the XL2411P, which even having a little more crosstalk than the XG2431, seems to me to be a fantastic monitor due to its balance between lag and image clarity. I'm talking about all this related to video consoles and 60hz games.

Now I am going to buy a powerful PC (I am going to spend 4000 euros, so I deduce that it will be powerful hahahaha) and I will use it with the XG2431. And there will be games (elden ring) that I will put at 60hz, because they are designed to go at 60hz. And if it weren't for the strobing, I would never be able to see the elden ring as smoothly as I will.
I will use the CRU and the QFT, and I will improve even more the lag and the crosstalk. And I'm going to do all this THANKS to BLURBUSTER and CHIEF.

For me it has been a blessing and a cure to have discovered Blur Buster. And Chief, MR. Mark Rejhon, is the world's leading expert on this matter. And I know very well what I'm talking about.

Thanks for reading me.
Have a nice day everyone

Angel Soler

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Crosstalk more a problem than Ghosting itself ? [ DyAc Strobing Crosstalk Issue ]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2023, 02:29

Thank you for your chime in!
And this is why Blur Busters exists.

Because the "Blur Busters" name attracts many people; we now have thousands of fans like you who gets head-splitting headaches from motion blur. Some just merely hate motion blur, others actually get health problems with motion blur. It's a tiny niche, of course.

Others are people are somewhere in between.
Everybody has different reasons for killing motion blur;
- Simulating a CRT better for retro purposes; or
- Getting clearer motion in a specific game; or
- Aim stabilizing effects (does not benefits everyone); or
- Improving human reaction time in a specific arena-style/scrolling-style game that requires eye-tracking (non-crosshairs) techniques.
- Solving a medical issue (massive headaches from display motion blur); if you're motion blur sensitive instead of flicker sensitive.

Mucho respect for whatever reason you want to eliminate motion blur for.
Motion blur is good if you like it (e.g. Hollywood Filmmaker Mode), but undesired if you hate it (e.g. virtual reality).
But you gotta understand why strobing is benefical to some, and not to others.

We are strong believers in strobing as a Right Tool For Right Job, but it is definitely not a tool for all jobs. We have been talking since 2018 about making strobing obsolete, too -- in the various articles posted at www.blurbusters.com/area51 -- however, not everything can be solved by brute framerate-based motion blur reduction.
Angel Soler wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 02:13
Thanks for reading me.
Have a nice day everyone

Angel Soler
Cheers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Anonymous316387

Post by Anonymous316387 » 11 Apr 2023, 07:31

[Moderation Note -- forum post removed due to rule violations. Possible language barriers, combined with possible cultural differences may have caused a bigger forum escalation than intended. Let's move on. This isn't Twitter or Facebook. Chill.]

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 11 Apr 2023, 11:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Apr 2023, 21:00
For example, in a game such as CS:GO, most esports players use item (B). Most esports players stare stationary most of the time at the crosshairs in the middle of the screen. You're mostly immune to display motion blur when you're only doing item (B) in a video game, and strobing is useless to most esports players.
Does this mean that the best monitor for CS currently on the market is 240Hz OLED?.. beating even the XL2566K?
Was wondering why is BenQ always useing CS:GO as an example to show how good DyAc+ is?

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 11 Apr 2023, 11:57

<!--{@Anonymous316387}-->, your innability to comprehend is not his fault.. and also yeah, I think there's a certain level of language barrier here as well.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2023, 12:29

There are a lot of useful discussions, but this thread will be put out to pasture, metaphorically speaking.

I’ve said my piece, reread as many times as you wish.

Thread closed to save everyone’s time (not just mine).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Apr 2023, 20:50

Traveler wrote: Does this mean that the best monitor for CS currently on the market is 240Hz OLED?.. beating even the XL2566K?
Was wondering why is BenQ always useing CS:GO as an example to show how good DyAc+ is?
One last reply (me only), because this is a good question with an “it depends” answer.

XL2566K versus OLED depends on the use case.

Strobing (if you like strobing) on XL2566K is superior to any 240Hz OLED without similar-capability BFI/strobing.

If you want non-strobed, OLED has vastly better motion quality per Hz, so 240Hz OLED is clearer than a 360Hz IPS LCD. Now, E-TN and extra frame rate can help, so 360fps E-TN and 240 Hz OLED looks roughly similar in motion resolution thanks to OLED having faster GtG.

However, XL2566K has lower lag than a 240Hz OLED so if lag is more important than motion quality, then the choice is more obvious, get the XL2566K If both are super important then it depends, you will have to try both. The OLED can be clearer than an unstrobed XL2566K (DyAc=OFF) in some situations (e.g. lower frame rates within OLED range, e.g. 220fps on OLED is clearer than 220fps on XL2566K).

But if you can blast those frames, 360fps, then you can get the edge back, and still have your low lag cake and eat it too. The XL2566K is currently the world's clearest 360Hz LCD.

Now, that being said, "better" depends on your priorities. If you are SUPER sensitive to strobe crosstalk AND you don't want to tweak strobe with at least 25-50% refresh rate headroom (e.g. 240Hz on a 360Hz XL2566K), it is not "better". You can have much clearer 100Hz XL2566K DyAc+ with zero crosstalk, than a 240Hz OLED, as an example, if your numero uno goal is motion blur, above everything else including lag & refresh rate. Refresh rate does not always equal motion quality, because of this.

On the other hand, if your priorites are complex and multifaceted ("reasonable amount of lag" + "relatively strobe motion quality" + "some amount of aim stabilization"), then you simply run your XL2566K at 360Hz VSYNC OFF or run your XG2431 at 240Hz VSYNC OFF, with all the strobing enabled. Both monitors have best-effort factory calibration at their maximum Hz.

Remember, input lag measurements does not include the human:

In some games, your human reaction time improvements can improve more than the lag increase. Then the strobe lag ends up becoming worth it. But only for some gamers, and only in some games, and only for some gaming tactics.

So, if you needed less motion blur than a 240Hz OLED, it's still difficult to beat LCD strobing. However, the advantage varies by game. CS:GO is not the best possible example of a game for strobing, but there is still benefit -- BenQ still advertises DyAc+ and some esports players do leave it on, but it is a personal preference.

There are many different gaming tactics for CS:GO, and some gaming tactics do not benefit from strobing, while other gaming tactics can (for some people).

For certain game play tactics in certain games, your human reaction time can decrease more than the input lag increase of strobing (e.g. eye tracking fast moving objects in a crosshairsless game that exercises your eye movements more often than a stationary-stare at same pixels on the same display such as a crosshair).

This will not be common in CS:GO but will be more common in other specific games that strobing benefits more. Seeing TestUFO-style smooth scrolling in games is an impressive thing to behold, if you're a fan of motion blur reduction.