ULMB 2 effectiveness when not hitting 360fps?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Snapzilla

ULMB 2 effectiveness when not hitting 360fps?

Post by Snapzilla » 07 Aug 2023, 10:27

I picked up an Acer XB273UF and it got me thinking, does ULMB2 work (or work well) when you can't sustain 360fps in your gaming? Say you're averaging 200fps or even 150?

I poked around the forum and failed to find an answer, apologies if this has been covered already.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ULMB 2 effectiveness when not hitting 360fps?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Aug 2023, 04:10

Snapzilla wrote:
07 Aug 2023, 10:27
I picked up an Acer XB273UF and it got me thinking, does ULMB2 work (or work well) when you can't sustain 360fps in your gaming? Say you're averaging 200fps or even 150?
I poked around the forum and failed to find an answer, apologies if this has been covered already.
It works fine if you prefer low latency (esports, competitive, etc).

But if you're quality-priority, remember framerate=Hz is better quality.

So the lower frame rate during max, the more duplicate images you will get. (This is not strobe crosstalk -- it is extra above-and-beyond strobe crosstalk).

The main fix is to intentionally lower the ULMB refresh rate to be closer to your refresh rate territory, if you are quality-priority over latency-priority.

120fps=120Hz strobing is better quality than 200fps-at-360fps strobing, so sometimes there's a handiness to lowering refresh rate to get your needed stroberate=refreshrate=framerate if you're quality-priority over latency-priority.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 08 Aug 2023, 08:28

If you're sensitive to tearing like me then it's terrible compared to running 360hz g-sync.

Snapzilla

Post by Snapzilla » 10 Aug 2023, 09:27

Good feedback and info, thank you!

I hate tearing, but it seems less obvious (or I'm less prone to noticing) when the fps is 200+. That being said I've been using both modes off and on and have a hard time telling the difference in various games I play; the motion clarity is pretty good in both settings but i think I am sticking to gsync to prevent tearing and get the best quality I can as I'm not driving this at 360hz locked fps.