Large Vertical Total in Linux?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
TacoToad

Large Vertical Total in Linux?

Post by TacoToad » 23 Aug 2023, 20:07

I have a ViewSonic XG2431 that I intend to use for 60hz strobing in retro games/emulators. I read through this guide: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=70232 and set up a crosstalk-free 60hz strobing experience in a Windows system, and I'm impressed with the results. The issue is, I don't daily drive Windows and would prefer to use this with a Linux based operating system. I haven't found a good tool for configuring custom resolutions in Linux. I'm aware of the xrandr command in the terminal, but I'm not sure how to use it to increase the size of the vertical total, or if it's even possible. I am currently dual booting Arch Linux and VanillaOS (Ubuntu based) and I currently use x11 on both, but plan to switch to Wayland after a few more bugs get fixed (the method of creating a custom resolution might be different between x11 and Wayland). I don't know if this is the right place to ask, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Large Vertical Total in Linux?

Post by RealNC » 24 Aug 2023, 10:05

You can use a modeline calculator on Linux, but I find it's easier to export your CRU EDID override to a txt file, and then instruct your Linux GPU driver to use that.

With the nvidia binary driver, you need to add this line to your "Screen" section of your xorg config:

Code: Select all

Option "CustomEDID" "GPU-0.DFP-0:/path/to/edid.txt"
Documented here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... d-on-linux

I don't know if something like this exists on AMD or Intel as well. If not you need to look into finding a custom modeline calculator and add modelines to your xorg config.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TacoToad

Post by TacoToad » 24 Aug 2023, 20:48

Thank you for the reply.

It isn't working for me and I'm not sure why.
I exported my custom XG2431 from CRU as .txt, I put it that file in a folder in my home directory, /home/nvidia/edid.txt
I put that custom EDID line into my xorg config pointing to the file:

Code: Select all

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {AllowGSYNCCompatible=On}"
# Removed Option "metamodes" "DP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {AllowGSYNCCompatible=On}, DP-4: nvidia-auto->
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-6"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {AllowGSYNCCompatible=On}, DP-4: 2560x1440_>
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    Option         "Coolbits" "24"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "GPU-0.DP-0:/home/nvidia/edid.txt"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
I rebooted, and it doesn't seem to be working. Do I have the wrong resolution selected? I made a custom 120hz and 60hz mode, but neither of them have reduced crosstalk compared to default. Is this happening because I have multiple monitors?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Aug 2023, 16:18

TacoToad wrote:
24 Aug 2023, 20:48
It isn't working for me and I'm not sure why.
Make sure the correct display port is specified. You specified DP-0, but according to your "metamodes" option, you have your display actually connected to DP-2, and in the same line it says DP-4? Do you have multiple monitors?

To figure out to which port the display is connected, just look at the UI of nvidia-settings. Here for example with only one monitor connected, it says "DP-0 - (ViewSonic XG2703-GS)":

Screenshot_20230826_002132.png
Screenshot_20230826_002132.png (84.93 KiB) Viewed 6329 times
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TacoToad

Post by TacoToad » 25 Aug 2023, 22:41

I do have multiple monitors. XG2431 is DP-0.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Aug 2023, 04:22

TacoToad wrote:
25 Aug 2023, 22:41
I do have multiple monitors. XG2431 is DP-0.
Try exporting in CRU as bin file instead of txt. The documentation provided in the above page might be wrong. It's been a while since I've done this, but looking at the driver documentation mentions bin instead of txt:

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Lin ... tions.html