Headaches of the Asus PG27AQN from an Asus XG27AQMR owner

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
liquidshadowfox

Re: Headaches of the Asus PG27AQN from an Asus XG27AQMR owner

Post by liquidshadowfox » 24 Oct 2023, 00:41

Is there a way to consistently set the full screen hz? For example when in NVCP I set league of legends to fixed refresh, it automatically sets Vsync to "3D application" and preferred refresh rate to "application controlled" which for some reason in league it defaults to 240 hz (which I want) but sometimes it'll switch it to 360 hz (which isn't good because I can't maintain that kind of refresh. So I don't know if there's a program or something I can use to set the refresh on a per game profile.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 25 Oct 2023, 13:48

Still having a weird issue where I set "Fixed refresh" on a per game basis it automatically sets vsync to "3D application controlled" but no matter what I do with the in game settings, Vsync doesn't turn on. Still have to use scan line sync from riva for it.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 Oct 2023, 15:51

liquidshadowfox wrote:
24 Oct 2023, 00:41
Is there a way to consistently set the full screen hz?
Beyond setting "Preferred refresh rate" to "Highest available" in the NVCP, not that I know of; it's game-dependent.
liquidshadowfox wrote:
25 Oct 2023, 13:48
Still having a weird issue where I set "Fixed refresh" on a per game basis it automatically sets vsync to "3D application controlled" but no matter what I do with the in game settings, Vsync doesn't turn on. Still have to use scan line sync from riva for it.
In my experience, switching from G-SYNC to Fixed refresh mode always resets my NVCP V-SYNC setting. Why V-SYNC isn't working at all in your case, I don't know.

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to ask about this subject, since I've never personally expected any of these auto and/or per app settings to work 100% of the time (or at all), so I manually set everything anyway; in my view, you're spending way more time and effort trying to get these automated methods to work consistently instead of just adjusting them manually as needed.

If you want to see any real improvements to these functionalities, you'd ultimately need to petition monitor, GPU, and OS manufacturers/developers to coordinate on more seamless and reliable processes at the UX-level, which is probably a stretch (to put it lightly).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 18 Nov 2023, 08:11

I found that using https://github.com/kwizatz88/GsyncSwitch is better than accessing the slow nvcp. Going to hop on visual studio next week to see if I can modify this to apply Gsync on/off + pick specific refresh in one shot rather than having to flicker the screen on and off twice (with two separate ticks). I think what nvidia control panel needs for monitor refresh tech is a "keep last used" for the nvcp switching profiles to work smoother and prioritize Fixed refresh if there are multiple games open with different settings.
For example: If I am in the desktop and it's in Gsync mode but I open a game profile that's using ULMB 2 or fixed refresh setting, not only should it switch to it BUT keep it in that setting when I alt tab back while the app is running. Because if not, in my experience it has led to some really uncomfortable screen turning on and off continuously until you either A) alt tab back into game or B) close out the game. Hopefully I can use the nvcp api to make a software solution to make this happen more seamlessly... yes I know I can use the OSD but I hate hardware controls and I'm very lazy lol XD