Asus G750JS + Asus VG248QE [LightBoost difficult on laptops]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Pige0n

Asus G750JS + Asus VG248QE [LightBoost difficult on laptops]

Post by Pige0n » 24 Aug 2014, 06:38

Hey.

After trying to activate lightboost using the ToastyX tool and hitting a brick wall (No supported monitors found), I've come here to ask for help.

Is there any way I can still enable lightboost?

Chris.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus G750JS + Asus VG248QE

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Aug 2014, 21:39

ASUS G750JS is a laptop, right?

LightBoost do NOT easily work on NVIDIA Optimus laptops (Intel-NVIDIA GPU switching, commonly found on laptops).

It may work if you do:
1. Initialize LightBoost on a separate computer, from a desktop.
2. Don't unplug the monitor from power. Once LightBoost is unlocked in the monitor, it can be turned on/off at will.
3. THEN use Intel's Custom Resolution to create a 1080p mode with a Vertical Total of 1147 or 1149. (You must create the custom resolution via the Intel software)
4. You will now have LightBoost.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Pige0n

Re: Asus G750JS + Asus VG248QE

Post by Pige0n » 25 Aug 2014, 07:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:ASUS G750JS is a laptop, right?

LightBoost do NOT easily work on NVIDIA Optimus laptops (Intel-NVIDIA GPU switching, commonly found on laptops).

It may work if you do:
1. Initialize LightBoost on a separate computer, from a desktop.
2. Don't unplug the monitor from power. Once LightBoost is unlocked in the monitor, it can be turned on/off at will.
3. THEN use Intel's Custom Resolution to create a 1080p mode with a Vertical Total of 1147 or 1149. (You must create the custom resolution via the Intel software)
4. You will now have LightBoost.
Aye. Thank you for the fast and informative reply.

Yes, the Asus G750JS is a laptop with switchable graphics. I've got a couple of questions for you though.

In the intel graphics control panel and windows settings there is no 120hz option. Only 60-100 and 144hz.

Here's two screenshots of the intel custom resolution app. How would I go at
>>creating a 1080p mode with a Vertical Total of 1147 or 1149?

First screenshot text field says: Front-porch, Back porch, Sync-width, Active, Sync-polarity, Scan frequency, Sum. 2nd column: Pixelclock, Color depth.
Second screenshot text field says: Width, Height, Update frequency, Color depth, Underscan percentage,

I successfully enabled LightBoost on my desktop which is connected to the monitor via Dvi (laptop is connected through DP-Mini DP), but the option for LightBoost is only available on the desktop.

Tl;dr: How do I add 1080p mode with a vertical total of 1147/1149?

EDIT: I found this. Are the numbers here correct?

EDIT: I've finally got LightBoost working using your method, thank you very much.

There's just one more issue. I play CSGO with a different resolution from the native resolution. At 1280x960 in game. When I enter full screen mode LightBoost isn't activated. It only works on 1920x1080p.

Is it possible to run the game fullscreen at 1280x960 with LightBoost enabled?

Thanks, Chief. Really do appreciate and admire your dedication.

Chris

Pige0n

Re: Asus G750JS + Asus VG248QE [LightBoost difficult on lapt

Post by Pige0n » 26 Aug 2014, 06:34

Bump