G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Kyouki

G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Post by Kyouki » 08 Jan 2024, 12:26

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... g-monitor/
What is G-SYNC Pulsar?
It is a new progression on the G-SYNC technologies, delivering the best combination of motion clarity and tear-free, stutter-free gaming. It marks a significant breakthrough utilizing two advanced technologies, Adaptive Overdrive and Pulse Modulation, to reduce ghosting and provide 4x effective motion clarity.

When will new monitors be available that support G-SYNC Pulsar?

Can G-SYNC Pulsar be implemented on every display panel in the future?
No. G-SYNC Pulsar requires matching panel character with tuning, but because it leverages LCD panel technology, we are planning broader G-SYNC Pulsar support in the future.
G-SYNC Pulsar is the next evolution of Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology, not only delivering a stutter-free experience and buttery smooth motion, but also a new gold standard for visual clarity and fidelity through the invention of variable frequency strobing. This boosts effective motion clarity to over 1000Hz on the debut ASUS ROG Swift PG27 Series G-SYNC gaming monitor, launching later this year.
:o very nice! best of both worlds.
Last edited by Kyouki on 08 Jan 2024, 13:05, edited 4 times in total.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

jorimt

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: BFI for VRR.

Post by jorimt » 08 Jan 2024, 12:47

Interesting; effectively an Nvidia hardware-level version of ELMB-sync.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Kyouki

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: BFI for VRR.

Post by Kyouki » 08 Jan 2024, 13:03

jorimt wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 12:47
Interesting; effectively an Nvidia hardware-level version of ELMB-sync.
Yeah very exciting stuff. Updated the thread a bit with more info I found online.

Haste

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Post by Haste » 08 Jan 2024, 13:40

Interesting. This could potentially in the future make me go back to bfi.

Hard to say without checking for yourself though. Because there is a lot of variation of how people perceive flicker.
I happen to notice 120hz BFI easily while many people don't.

And beyond flicker, BFI also make frame time spikes stand out more, reduce the feeling of smoothness in general and transform the look of ghosting/coronas in very harsh crosstalk.

But if all these things get addressed eventually, then it will become more and more like free extra motion clarity with minimal to no downside. And that would make it much more appealing to me.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

liquidshadowfox

Re: G-SYNC Pulsar: Blur Reduction or Black Frame Injection in cojunction with Variable Refresh Rate or Adaptive Sync

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Jan 2024, 17:06

I'm both excited they are doing it and disappointed when the PG27AQN doesn't get a firmware update for it because the hardware is missing.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 08 Jan 2024, 17:21

liquidshadowfox wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 17:06
I'm both excited they are doing it and disappointed when the PG27AQN doesn't get a firmware update for it because the hardware is missing.
I am actually genuinely really curious to why ULMB2 and this new Pulsar tech is so restrictive. Is it really needed? Or can it be done and they just don't want existing models to thrive and reduce potential ewaste?

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Jan 2024, 17:34

Kyouki wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 17:21
liquidshadowfox wrote:
I am actually genuinely really curious to why ULMB2 and this new Pulsar tech is so restrictive. Is it really needed? Or can it be done and they just don't want existing models to thrive and reduce potential ewaste?
Honestly I don't think we will know for sure, I mean they DID add ULMB 2 to the asus PG27AQN and no one thought it was getting ULMB at all. Also I'd argue that hardware might be there since it supports the dynamic per pixel overdrive AND it can strobe, the question is would it be able to use PWM fill like ELMB sync does to allow for flicker free VRR + Strobing at the expense of crosstalk? or are they doing something proprietary that requires new hardware to be built into the next gen Gsync module. I saw a little bit of red fringing on the example photos with Gsync pulsar so I have hope that they will also update the PG27AQN to support this feature but I'm not holding my breath and will probably start saving up my money starting now because that's all I've ever wanted, a decent VRR + Strobe monitor.

akrios

Post by akrios » 08 Jan 2024, 21:37

Hoping this will make its way to the PG27AQN. You would think with ULMB2 support another update could enable it. The funny wording of ASUS PG27 series is a bit worrying but also makes me wonder if the AQN is included in that lol.

Was BFI mentioned anywhere? I see backlight strobing in the article but not BFI.

bumbeen

Post by bumbeen » 09 Jan 2024, 01:41

Kyouki wrote:
liquidshadowfox wrote:
ULMB "2" is only a 2 because they wanted to sell the monitors before they were feature complete. They had no strobing at all at first because the firmware wasn't ready yet. The per pixel row variable overdrive is new, but that's simply a requirement of the higher refresh rate because the panel still isn't quite fast enough. It's a mitigation of a limitation of the panel more than it is a function add to ULMB.(and it still doesn't even work, there's loads of crosstalk)

I guess I'll sell my pg27aqn because I find it highly unlikely they'll make any firmware update to it. Despite the fact I got communication directly from Asus that they were going to be shipping another ULMB2 firmware update for the PG27AQN in Nov/Dec 2023 which hasn't materialized.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 09 Jan 2024, 02:41

bumbeen wrote:
09 Jan 2024, 01:41
Kyouki wrote:
liquidshadowfox wrote:
ULMB "2" is only a 2 because they wanted to sell the monitors before they were feature complete. They had no strobing at all at first because the firmware wasn't ready yet. The per pixel row variable overdrive is new, but that's simply a requirement of the higher refresh rate because the panel still isn't quite fast enough. It's a mitigation of a limitation of the panel more than it is a function add to ULMB.(and it still doesn't even work, there's loads of crosstalk)

I guess I'll sell my pg27aqn because I find it highly unlikely they'll make any firmware update to it. Despite the fact I got communication directly from Asus that they were going to be shipping another ULMB2 firmware update for the PG27AQN in Nov/Dec 2023 which hasn't materialized.
That's kind of sad...