When can we expect more BlurBuster 2.0 Monitors?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Supermodel_Evelynn

When can we expect more BlurBuster 2.0 Monitors?

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 09:22

I am so excited for the future of monitors thanks to Blur Busters

I am praying for the perfect monitor which sadly doesn't exist and likely never will but one can always dream.

Fast IPS with Freesync + Backlight Strobing enabled same time, Glossy Screen Coating like the ones found in OLED TV, AND 1000 nits overclocked LED backlight like BenQ Dyac which can ultimately produce strobing at 250 nits since being on 25% of the time will give perfect CRT motion clarity

AND maybe it can include DYAC 2 technology which as I understand eliminates cross talk on the entire screen and doesn't need any tinkering with Large Vertical Totals etc it just works out of the box

So I guess what I am saying is the perfect monitor IS the upcoming BenQ Dyac 2 I think releasing Q1 2024

Unfortunately these DYAC 2 does NOT cater to 60 HZ retro gamers or those into games like Elden Ring, Street Fighter 6 and upcoming Tekken 8.

BenQ seems set on catering only to Valorant and CS GO players which I find pretty sad there is no 60hz strobing support in fact their strobing right now only reaches 120hz lowest.

The crazy thing is BenQ has the technology to create the perfect monitor but they probably don't think the market is there.

I know Blur Busters believe the future is 1000hz monitors but games like Remnant 2 can barely run at 60 FPS on a RTX 4080 AND Fighting Games like street fighter etc will always be locked to 60 FPS due to game logic.

So I am NOT excited for 1000hz monitors at all, in fact 240HZ OLED is so good that even enthusiast CRT nerds couldn't find an issue to complain if you can run the game at 240 FPS in act Rtings has rated a number of OLED screen a perfect 10 out of 10 for motion blur handling.

What I really want to see is Backlight Strobing that supports VRR + 60HZ + Full Screen clarity without having to use Large Vertical Totals and nothing lower than 250 Nits.

Can you imagine the clarity of the XG2431 on Ultra PureXP mode but instead of 32 nits its actually a acceptable 250 nits? or heaven sake 360 nits like some Dyac BenQ? could you imagine if the XG2431 was capable of that? OMG

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: When can we expect more BlurBuster 2.0 Monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2024, 13:28

Keep tuned.

I'm trying to make "something" happen, but there may still be some compromises. It's no big-budget stuff.

Factory large-VTs was a part of NVIDIA LightBoost and ULMB, so it's most certainly possible, but it requires vendor agreement. I was simply lucky that ViewSonic let met let users DIY it, rather than locking out large-VTs like some certain monitor models did.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2024, 13:30

Also alternate option too:
Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 09:22
BenQ seems set on catering only to Valorant and CS GO players which I find pretty sad there is no 60hz strobing support in fact their strobing right now only reaches 120hz lowest.
You can also add software BFI to black out every other strobe, and get 60Hz BFI.

120Hz hardware strobe + software BFI = defacto 60Hz hardware strobe. View www.testufo.com/blackframes on a 120Hz strobe, and you'll see defacto 60Hz strobe.

It will halve brightness of the BenQ DyAc+ but it can be done. 300 nits halves to 150 nits, for example.

RetroArch emulator supports it.

____

Or you can use Retrotink 4K (commisioned link) video processor as a BFI injector in the middle between computer/console and monitor. As your "60Hz hardware strobe for 120Hz strobe monitors" BFI frame injector. Bear in mind, you have some bandwidth limitations (preventing easy 1080p60 in, 1080p240 out without some hacks, since it was originally designed for low-resolution console resolutions of retro community). But you can do 1080p60 in, 1080p120+BFI out, and works on any modern BenQ/Zowie XL series.

One advice, keep "LCD Saver" setting turned on, when doing software BFI on LCDs from a Retrotink 4K.

I don't know if it solves your problem, but the hardware+software trick is a strobe range extender trick with equipment you can buy today.

I'm not 100% sure what your needs are, but I can confirm Retrotink 4K has a generous refund policy. It's in high demand so they're willing to take back a still brand-new undamaged unit to restock it for sale to someone else. Consider the cost of shipping a return for a full refund (if Retrotink 4K does not meet your needs), however, if you're far from where Retrotink 4K is shipped from.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 19:58

So I can safely tell you what I want now

https://www.testufo.com/blackframes#cou ... llscreen=1

^ This link you posted 60 FPS plus black frame insertion when my monitor is set to 120HZ looks near perfect. WOW

If I can get Street Fighter 6 to have that BFI feature would be Amazing.

So the Retroink thingy can do it?

You also mentioned there is something called Software BFI? WOW

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 20:08

ooooookkkkkk

I just downloaded something called Desktop BFI from github I opened it nothing came up just a software in the taskbar and the whole screen went to half brightness and 60hz from 120hz

I now have Freesync and insanely good back light strobing I am talking BETTER than what came with my XG2431 on normal mode with more brightness.

OMG how is this even possible? how on earth?

My monitor is set to 120hz and I am pretty certain with this software enabled its running at 60hz BFI which is exactly what I want

I can tell because Cammy's Abs in Street Fighter 6 is clear as day when she is walking, without BFI it is completely blurry.

Is there another software where I could make the BFI even harsher like dimmer and hence less blur?

Right now its incredibly good

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 20:13

so I somehow managed to burn my LCD screen by using this software

https://github.com/squeaksci/desktopbfi ... tag/v1.0.2

when I enabled it the image from this forum has somehow burned into my LCD screen

Nicklah

Post by Nicklah » 16 Jan 2024, 20:21

Since a 240hz oled can put a black frame in every second frame and get 120hz bfi (presumably this is basically just software bfi being implemented by asus into the monitor) can't they make 3/4 frames black and get 60hz bfi with a 75% brightness loss with exactly the same outcome? I also was wondering if the software bfi problems that lcd have with needing to do it at odd integer multiples of 60hz applies to oleds too? will 120hz software bfi lead to faster burn in?

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 16 Jan 2024, 23:48

So I have a question anyway to increase the intensity of this amazing BFI Desktop app? it looks really good even tho it causes image retention.

I know the screen will get dimmer but was curious to see how clean and CRT Like this thing can get, if not is there anyother software I could use like Desktop BFI?

I want to use it in my fighting games only like street fighter 6

the link the user has the source code public but I have no idea how to alter that and then compile it for a more aggressive strobe