Best ULMB Monitor?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
shockwave818

Best ULMB Monitor?

Post by shockwave818 » 29 Aug 2014, 21:13

I just got an ROG Swift.

I play CS GO heavily, and I've determined that I like ULMB over Gsync. Therefore, I don't need the Swift!

What's the best 27" ULMB monitor on the market currently?

mello

Re: Best ULMB Monitor?

Post by mello » 30 Aug 2014, 03:55

To have ULMB you will still need to have G-Sync. Currently, the best G-Sync monitor that is available on the market is ROG Swift. Excluding G-Sync usage, the main advantages over other G-Sync monitors is 2560x1440 resolution combined with 8-bit panel. If you do not care much about color reproduction and higher resolution, and you can live with 1080p, then you have some options:

Acer XB270HA 27" http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... &catid=948

or if you can live with 24" monitor:

AOC G2460PG 24" http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... &catid=948

.... or wait for:

BENQ XL2720G 27" / Philips 272G5DYEB 27"

Here is a short list of G-Sync monitors - http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-o ... -monitors/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Sep 2014, 08:31

shockwave818 wrote:I just got an ROG Swift.

I play CS GO heavily, and I've determined that I like ULMB over Gsync. Therefore, I don't need the Swift!

What's the best 27" ULMB monitor on the market currently?
The best strobed monitor is the ROG, since it is the only strobed 1440p monitor on the market.

All other options require downgrading to 1080p.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 14 Sep 2014, 14:45

I just wana say that this thing: http://gaming.eizo.com/products/foris_fg2421/

Has an actually good contrast ratio - 5000:1 vs the usual 1000:1 that you see on EVERYTHING else.
Yes, thats that VA 1080p panel. And does that frame insertion thing to cut down blur.

I personally dont see why anyone would buy anything that doesnt have gsync now. But one of my friends recently bought this, knowing well what gsync is. So... ye. (if it was a 21:9 VA, blur reducing monitor, then i would buy it instantly myself, fuck gsync... but whatever)

Ur probably still better off with one of the 144hz gsync monitors tho... if you dont have an expensive videocard setup or dont just play old games.

paired

Post by paired » 15 Sep 2014, 12:45

mello wrote:Currently, the best G-Sync monitor that is available on the market is ROG Swift.
Couple things I picked up from this article: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asu ... pg278q.htm

1. ULMB is only available when running the screen at 85, 100 and 120Hz modes.
2. ULMB does not work when you are using G-sync, it's one or the other.

Are we likely to see future products support both ULMB + G-sync at 144hz, or is there some technical limitation?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:The best strobed monitor is the ROG, since it is the only strobed 1440p monitor on the market.
Not to mention the 8-bit color depth. Is there any review which compares the color of this 8-bit TN panel versus IPS color? All I've found mention is comparison of viewing angles.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 16 Sep 2014, 13:07

^ Did you see TFTCentral's review?

Sent from dumphone (pls. excuse typos and dumbness)

flood

Post by flood » 16 Sep 2014, 19:35

paired wrote:Are we likely to see future products support both ULMB + G-sync at 144hz, or is there some technical limitation?
there isn't a technical limitation, but it's apparently tricky enough that no one has implemented it yet. the fundamental difficulty is that, with variable refresh rate, the strobe length for each frame must scale with the length of the frame. otherwise the brightness would change significantly as framerate changes. this could potentially cause flickering when framerate is unstable. another difficulty is that the color isn't the same for different strobe lengths, due to lcd panel's non-zero pixel transition time.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 18 Sep 2014, 03:42

flood wrote:
paired wrote:Are we likely to see future products support both ULMB + G-sync at 144hz, or is there some technical limitation?
there isn't a technical limitation, but it's apparently tricky enough that no one has implemented it yet. the fundamental difficulty is that, with variable refresh rate, the strobe length for each frame must scale with the length of the frame. otherwise the brightness would change significantly as framerate changes. this could potentially cause flickering when framerate is unstable. another difficulty is that the color isn't the same for different strobe lengths, due to lcd panel's non-zero pixel transition time.
High refresh oled apparently looks way better, with less blur and stuff, than a high refresh LCD...
Maybe a 200hz oled would be enough to have like 2ms pixel persistance? Which is almost as good as CRT.

Id rather they focus on that. Because any form of strobing or lightboost adds flicker. And flicker is bad for your eyes whether you see it or not. And if you want variable refresh rates you need to have a flicker free screen.
Also, nvidia said in some interview that gsync could go all the way down to 1 fps if the screen was good enough to not corrupt a long lasting picture. Maybe then gsync can hold a picture until the next picture is available - if the fps ever drops below 1.

So, a screen on which framerate = hz 100% of the time, that is flicker free, is a 200hz max or smth OLED in my opinion is the perfect screen. And the real way we are going to (and should) mix variable refresh rates with low pixel persistance.

flood

Post by flood » 18 Sep 2014, 05:30

200hz is 5ms if not strobed.............

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 19 Sep 2014, 04:38

flood wrote:200hz is 5ms if not strobed.............
Feel free to correct me!
But i keep hearing that its not the same case with OLED, as it is with LCD.

Either way 5ms is pretty good. I would not trade away gsync to get those last few ms of persistance cut away. I dont think many would be able to tell the difference between 5ms and 2 ms tbh. Certainly not worth it to sacrifice gsync for that. IMFO.

And i dont really see any other way we can get low persistance, variable refresh rate, flicker free displays this century or maybe the next even.