Odyssey G4 Is really that bad? HELP!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ilnazareno

Odyssey G4 Is really that bad? HELP!

Post by ilnazareno » 04 Mar 2024, 08:27

Hello Blurbuster community, I've been following your forum for quite some time now (even though I've been registered for a long time), and I'm here to write because I believe I've finally figured out what my problem is. I think no one better than you can help me with what I'm asking. First of all, I apologize in advance if my post is in the wrong section, but honestly, until I "exactly" understand what my problem is, I think it's best to keep it in this category...

I am a competitive Fortnite player. I played for 3 years on my old PC, Ryzen 5 2600, RX 580, with a Samsung 144Hz monitor. Over the years, I upgraded my PC, first with a Ryzen 7 3700X and an RTX 2060... During this period, I abandoned the game for a good 2 years, and in the meantime, I sold my old monitor and switched to an Odyssey G4, Ryzen 7 5800X (now upgraded to Ryzen 7 5800 X 3D) and an RTX 4060... I recently started playing Fortnite again, and I absolutely have no FPS problems; they stay above 700 in creative and 300 in public matches...

So, where's the problem? The problem lies in the fact that when I go "fast" on my screen, you really can't see anything clearly. It seems like everything is stuttering, like everything I do is at 60Hz. My screen isn't smooth; it's "choppy," as I've heard said here on the forum.

I've tried everything possible: reinstalling Windows, tweaking the Nvidia control panel (I upgraded my hardware thinking the problem was my hardware specifications), but none of this has helped until I started wondering, could it be my monitor causing the issue? So, I tried all possible combinations of the monitor's "response time," but none of them helped either. Moreover, this problem SEEMS to occur only on Fortnite, while other games run smoothly as butter... Again, it's a Samsung Odyssey G4 240Hz... I've tried both FreeSync on and off, both DisplayPort and HDMI...

At this point (quite sure there are no "fixes"), would it be better for me to change the monitor? What do you think of this monitor? I wanted to get something better, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Odyssey G4 Is really that bad? HELP!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2024, 21:48

ilnazareno wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 08:27
So, where's the problem? The problem lies in the fact that when I go "fast" on my screen, you really can't see anything clearly. It seems like everything is stuttering, like everything I do is at 60Hz. My screen isn't smooth; it's "choppy," as I've heard said here on the forum.
Do you mean erratic choppy?
There's lots of causes, but a failed upgradefeel can sometimes be traced to the computer mouse.
A common culprit is mouse mis-optimization.

Choppy Test: Compare Keyboard Strafing with Mouseturns

Try strafing left/right with keyboard in Fortnite. And comparing it to a slow mouseturn.
Is Fortnite smooth if you strafe left/right, but choppy with mouse slowturns?
If that happens your mouse DPI might be too low for your new refresh rate configuration.

Have you upgraded to a >1000Hz mouse?
Try using high-DPI, high-pollrate, low-sensitivity.
Don't use 400-800dpi anymore (unless you play old CS:GO1 original Source Engine).
400-800 DPI is sabotage for refresh rate race, it was good for esports on a 15-year-old engine, but it is very jittery.

Even 1000Hz-vs-8000Hz mouse makes a visible difference (human visible -- see this!), but 2000Hz pollrate is kind of the sweet spot to avoid overloading the system.

Fix Your Mouse Slowtracks To Be As Smooth As Strafing / As Smooth As TestUFO

1600-3200dpi no longer means turbo Windows cursors anymore, if you properly configure it.
- High DPI (Blur Busters recommend 1600dpi minimum to avoid refresh rate race sabotage)
- High pollrate (No less than 1000Hz, but don't go too high that it overloads the system. 2000 can be a sweet spot)
- Low in-game sensitivity (edit your .cfg file if needed)
- Low Control Panel sensitivity (to slow down your mouse pointer without reducing DPI)
- Disable "Enhance Pointer Precision" setting (it ruins muscle memory)

Goal: 1600-3200dpi silk smooth performance, with the mouse flickfeel / mouse cursorfeel of 400dpi-800dpi
Win-win.

This will make slow mouseturns as smooth as strafing. This will make slow mouseturns silky TestUFO smooth. Easier to slowtrack, like snipers or spraying overhead flying objects, etc.

This can interfere with old non-rawinput games (World of Warcraft) and >800dpi has sometimes (not always) created problematic behaviors in older engines such as CS:GO. But the world has moved to CS2, and now you can safely standardize on 1600-3200dpi with the same flickfeel of 400dpi nowadays.

Remember: 0.25 inch of mouse movement at 400dpi = only 100 mouselook frames per second = grainy = low grainy mouseturn framerate because of low DPI. 400 dots per inch over 0.25 inch is only 100 positions per second = refresh rate race sabotage for slowturns (e.g. aiming at a flying airplane above you in Fortnite = jittery).

Tweak mouse / buy a new mouse / see if it works.

Also, at these high pollrates, don't overload your USB ports, if your mouse pointer is still choppy even in Windows. Put your keyboard on its dedicated USB Root Hub chip, and your mouse on a dedicated USB Root Hub chip, and no other USB appliances plugged into the same USB Root Hubs. Use workarounds if needed (e.g. PCIe USB card).

There can be other causese of choppiness, but make sure you fix your mouse weak link

Obviously there are other causes of "choppy" but make sure your mouse is not the weak link!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 08 Mar 2024, 08:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:48
ilnazareno wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 08:27
Do you mean erratic choppy?
There's lots of causes, but a failed upgradefeel can sometimes be traced to the computer mouse.
A common culprit is mouse mis-optimization.

Choppy Test: Compare Keyboard Strafing with Mouseturns

Try strafing left/right with keyboard in Fortnite. And comparing it to a slow mouseturn.
Is Fortnite smooth if you strafe left/right, but choppy with mouse slowturns?
If that happens your mouse DPI might be too low for your new refresh rate configuration.

Have you upgraded to a >1000Hz mouse?
Try using high-DPI, high-pollrate, low-sensitivity.
Don't use 400-800dpi anymore (unless you play old CS:GO1 original Source Engine).
400-800 DPI is sabotage for refresh rate race, it was good for esports on a 15-year-old engine, but it is very jittery.

Even 1000Hz-vs-8000Hz mouse makes a visible difference (human visible -- see this!), but 2000Hz pollrate is kind of the sweet spot to avoid overloading the system.

Fix Your Mouse Slowtracks To Be As Smooth As Strafing / As Smooth As TestUFO

1600-3200dpi no longer means turbo Windows cursors anymore, if you properly configure it.
- High DPI (Blur Busters recommend 1600dpi minimum to avoid refresh rate race sabotage)
- High pollrate (No less than 1000Hz, but don't go too high that it overloads the system. 2000 can be a sweet spot)
- Low in-game sensitivity (edit your .cfg file if needed)
- Low Control Panel sensitivity (to slow down your mouse pointer without reducing DPI)
- Disable "Enhance Pointer Precision" setting (it ruins muscle memory)

Goal: 1600-3200dpi silk smooth performance, with the mouse flickfeel / mouse cursorfeel of 400dpi-800dpi
Win-win.

This will make slow mouseturns as smooth as strafing. This will make slow mouseturns silky TestUFO smooth. Easier to slowtrack, like snipers or spraying overhead flying objects, etc.

This can interfere with old non-rawinput games (World of Warcraft) and >800dpi has sometimes (not always) created problematic behaviors in older engines such as CS:GO. But the world has moved to CS2, and now you can safely standardize on 1600-3200dpi with the same flickfeel of 400dpi nowadays.

Remember: 0.25 inch of mouse movement at 400dpi = only 100 mouselook frames per second = grainy = low grainy mouseturn framerate because of low DPI. 400 dots per inch over 0.25 inch is only 100 positions per second = refresh rate race sabotage for slowturns (e.g. aiming at a flying airplane above you in Fortnite = jittery).

Tweak mouse / buy a new mouse / see if it works.

Also, at these high pollrates, don't overload your USB ports, if your mouse pointer is still choppy even in Windows. Put your keyboard on its dedicated USB Root Hub chip, and your mouse on a dedicated USB Root Hub chip, and no other USB appliances plugged into the same USB Root Hubs. Use workarounds if needed (e.g. PCIe USB card).

There can be other causese of choppiness, but make sure you fix your mouse weak link

Obviously there are other causes of "choppy" but make sure your mouse is not the weak link!
Wow, Chief you are a legend. All this time I was using 1000 DPI, now tried 1600 minimum per your recommendation and holy cow it actually made things smoother. Thanks a lot!

ilnazareno

Post by ilnazareno » 09 Mar 2024, 20:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:48
[...]
Thank you for your response, but as I already wrote above, I have tried many things. In fact, I have connected my USB to the main ports for the chipset and set the DPI above 1600. The game has become slightly smoother, but the problem remains that visually, I can't follow what I'm doing. I can only understand it because I know the game by heart and often shoot "intuitively" without actually knowing where the enemy is... It's not about motion blur or ghosting either... Vsync/Freesync is a terrible experience when it comes to competitiveness, so I ask again, could it really be the monitor that's so bad?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2024, 21:24

Ah, thanks for the extra data!

Fortnite usually works best with VSYNC OFF unless you can have massive refresh rate (e.g. 480Hz+). For esports VRR, you would need massive framerate range to keep framerates inside VRR range, as VRR can be a terrible experience in esports if your uncapped framerates keeps fluctuating in/out of your VRR range.

It is quite possible that the non-VRR latency of this 240Hz panel might be higher than expected. Some 240Hz displays have higher latency than other 240Hz displays, so you may wish to consider ultralow-latency 240Hz display options.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ilnazareno

Post by ilnazareno » 10 Mar 2024, 08:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 21:24
Ah, thanks for the extra data!

Fortnite usually works best with VSYNC OFF unless you can have massive refresh rate (e.g. 480Hz+). For esports VRR, you would need massive framerate range to keep framerates inside VRR range, as VRR can be a terrible experience in esports if your uncapped framerates keeps fluctuating in/out of your VRR range.

It is quite possible that the non-VRR latency of this 240Hz panel might be higher than expected. Some 240Hz displays have higher latency than other 240Hz displays, so you may wish to consider ultralow-latency 240Hz display options.
Thank you very much, I'm thinking of selling my monitor to buy a better one... Is it normal, however, that streaming on TikTok/Twitch further worsens the panel's performance? Because when I start a stream, I can't see anything anymore... I'm pretty sure it's not a PC performance issue since I see more streamers with the same or even worse specs than mine managing to play and stream without problems... A monitor I often see being used is the TUF Gaming 280Hz... What do you think about this monitor/panel?