ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM - Overshoot fix for OD 100, 280Hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Pterarxos

ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM - Overshoot fix for OD 100, 280Hz

Post by Pterarxos » 15 Apr 2024, 12:03

Greetings,

I may have accidentally found a way to fix the severe overshoot this monitor suffers from, when using OD 100 and 280HZ.
I have this monitor for almost 4 years now and since I first bought it I am quite happy with it, although it's not the best by a long shot in terms of motion clarity and ghosting. I'm mostly playing competitive shooters and in search of the best possible settings for motion clarity I have tried everything possible setup, OD-60-80, the secret OD 120 mode, ELMB, ELMB-sync, different Gsync settings. Nothing really satisfied me but I got used to it eventually.

Anyway, this monitor has horrific overshoot with OD set to 100 even on max refresh rate. Being an older IPS panel it's pretty much expected. But it really is a pity because it really delivers the best motion clarity on that mode. Yesterday I was messing with its settings again and found out that for some reason most of the horrific overshoot on OD 100 and 280hz goes away and makes this OD setting actually usable in competitive games when you do the following (at least on firmware MCM103)

1) If the monitor is off and cold, turn it on, put it on 100 OD, Racing Mode, Adaptive Sync OFF and max refresh rate (280Hz), let it heat up for 10 minutes while in game.
2) Turn on ELMB-Sync and turn it off again while in-game.
3) Enjoy significantly less overshoot and the best motion clarity this monitor can offer.

Let me know if this actually worked for you or if its just me.