VG248QE 144hz not working since lightboost hack HELP!!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
BB SinisteR

VG248QE 144hz not working since lightboost hack HELP!!

Post by BB SinisteR » 10 Sep 2014, 11:59

Hi,
I JUST bought a VG248QE, was toying around with it all day, finally did the lightboost hack to try it out, i did like it for sure.
But due to colors/dimmness, not something i want to keep on, so i uninstalled it.
I was using the strobelight-setup/strobelight.exe method.
Since uninstalling and rebooting, my 144hz refresh mode no longer works, it is listed, and i can choose it, but i get the same effect as like when you have a 60hz monitor and you try to overclock it to like 75hz or something that is not supported, it is all staticy and fuzzy. Image

http://s29.postimg.org/jbx9yuiqf/WP_20140910_001.jpg

BB SinisteR

Re: VG248QE 144hz not working since lightboost hack HELP!!

Post by BB SinisteR » 10 Sep 2014, 15:20

Hello, Anyone?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Sep 2014, 16:05

BB SinisteR wrote:Hi,
I JUST bought a VG248QE, was toying around with it all day, finally did the lightboost hack to try it out, i did like it for sure.
But due to colors/dimmness, not something i want to keep on, so i uninstalled it.
I was using the strobelight-setup/strobelight.exe method.
Since uninstalling and rebooting, my 144hz refresh mode no longer works, it is listed, and i can choose it, but i get the same effect as like when you have a 60hz monitor and you try to overclock it to like 75hz or something that is not supported, it is all staticy and fuzzy. Image

http://s29.postimg.org/jbx9yuiqf/WP_20140910_001.jpg
Are you using "LCD reduced" for 144 hz?
You can add a 144 hz 1920x1080 res manually in CRU.exe. Just add it as "LCD reduced' and reboot.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Sep 2014, 19:16

Another way AFAIK is to uninstall your GPU drivers and then install them again. In the nvidia installer, you should probably check the "clean install" checkbox.

I say this because whenever I install new nvidia drivers, my CRU modes are all lost and all modes reset to their defaults.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

BB SinisteR

Post by BB SinisteR » 10 Sep 2014, 20:24

Yeah, i never used CRU. What i did end up doing that worked, was uninstall the monitor driver, then installed the one from the disk, and also defaulted all profile/color etc. for some reason after i installed strobelight, since i didn't install a non-strobed refreshrate of 144hz in the options for strobelight (because i was new and thought it was adding new refresh rate options and leaving the already supported ones)i had to create a custom 144hz refresh rate/resolution afterwards thru nvidia control panel, i think it had the wrong timings, or wasn't exact on it's creation of the 144hz frequency, i don't know , but none the less. I got it figured out for now, until i reinstall the strobelight hack, lol. Thank you, Thank You for your answers guys!!!

BB SinisteR

Post by BB SinisteR » 10 Sep 2014, 20:26

Also, i don't know what ''LCD Reduced" is, or where i can find that option...
So for future reference, what is LCD Reduced option all about??

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Sep 2014, 20:32

BB SinisteR wrote:Also, i don't know what ''LCD Reduced" is, or where i can find that option...
So for future reference, what is LCD Reduced option all about??
It's also available in the nvidia control panel when you create custom modes.

"Reduced" refers to the blanking interval of the timings for a mode. The blanking interval is the time the electron beam of a CRT needs to get from the bottom-right of the screen back to the top-left. LCD monitors don't have an electron beam, so the mode can set the blanking interval to be very small (this is what "LCD reduced" refers to.) This results in the mode using a smaller pixel clock, or allowing for higher refresh rates with the same pixel clock (since if you wait less time for the blanking, you can start scanning out the next frame sooner, which translates to a higher refresh rate.)

If you are not overclocking your monitor, then you don't really need to bother with this :)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

BB SinisteR

Post by BB SinisteR » 10 Sep 2014, 20:46

Ok, thank you for the information.
I'm the kind of person who will overclock something, just because it can be done, for the experience/knowledge of it.
But i must say, with a 144hz display....what's really left? lol, even now, i believe anything past 120hz with mo-blur reduction is just a number, as far as this monitor goes, and me perceiving any benefit.

On a side note, when i went to the nvidia control panel, to check the custom resolutions area.
I don't see a reduced lcd option anywhere.
The only 2 options are...
1-"Show 8-bit and 16-bit resolutions"
2-"Enable Resolutions not exposed by Display''

One last question, i have made a few custom resolutions, that i have since deleted, because for some reason
the nvidia control panel likes to default resolutions i make to 16-bit, even when creating them i set to 32-bit.
Anyone know why this is? ever run into similar issues? Just a programing bug??