Questions regarding adjusting Benq XL2430T

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
dauv

Questions regarding adjusting Benq XL2430T

Post by dauv » 15 Sep 2014, 05:36

Hi Blurbusters

I've been wanting to upgrade to a +120HZ monitor for quite a while, but last week I decided to give in and order the new Benq XL2430T.

I read the Lightboost HOWTO guide & FAQ, but I still have a couple of questions, hope some of you can help me out:

1. I realise that BENQ Blur Reduction tool doesns't support XL2430T atm, will it be supported in the future or should I use another app for lightboosting this monitor?
2. Why is Lightboost recommended at 120hz and not 144hz? I assume higher is not always better, but is there anyone who can explain why this is?
3. Can't seem to find any ICC color profiles, is the XL2420z profile my best bet at this moment (till a profile is released for this model)?

I'm primarily using this monitor to play CS:GO and League of Legends, and would like to min-max it as much as possible.

PS: I tried to find an adjustment thread regarding this model, but couldn't seem to find one, so I'm sorry if there is a thread already.

Haste

Re: Questions regarding adjusting Benq XL2430T

Post by Haste » 15 Sep 2014, 05:59

Hello there.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Mark plans to release a strobe utility for the Benq XL2430T "soon".
Chief Blur Buster wrote:The XL2430T is similiar to the XL2420Z, but supports the new BENQ Blur Reduction.

(A new version of Strobe Utility will be released soon to support the XL2430T).
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1368
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

dauv

Post by dauv » 15 Sep 2014, 10:47

Thanks! I'll wait with patience then :-)

TerminatorUK

Post by TerminatorUK » 18 Sep 2014, 08:32

Hi Dauv,

I'm very interested in this buying this monitor but cannot find any reviews anywhere!

What is your experience with the monitor generally - is it good, do you like, colours ok, responsive it etc..

I emailed BenQ the following questions to find out some additional information:

- Although the specifications state that the display supports 16.7 millions colours, is this using a 8-bit LUT or 6-bit + dithering (as was used on the BenQ XL2420Z)
- Does this model ship with a firmware that allows for 3rd-party applications to modify the Blur Reduction backlight behaviour (such as the Blur Busters tool)
- Are you able to provide any details on what is different with the BenQ Blur Reduction 2 (e.g. does it have less impact on the brightness, improved the situation with crosstalk etc...)
- Very importantly - does the monitor continue the very-low input lag of between 1.5ms-2.5ms (N.B. this is different from the pixel response time); this aspect is critical to my purchase decision

Not sure if you can answer any of the above at all?

There is also the LG 24GM77 lurking around that is released on OCuK (in the UK) which is £70 cheaper - I'm trying to justify the additional cost :)

Many thanks in advance for any additional information!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2014, 17:40

1. I believe the XL2430T uses BENQ Blur Reduction II, the sequel to BENQ Blur Reduction. Which means it already has the equivalent of "Blur Busters Strobe Utility" built into the monitor menus. So you don't need to use either utility. So no need for the ToastyX Strobelight or the Blur Busters Strobe Utility, with the 2430T, as far as I understand.

2. 144Hz does not allow enough time between refreshes on current LCDs, for cross-talk-free blur reduction. Strobe backlights (which LightBoost and BENQ Blur Reduction are) require a long blanking interval (longer pause between refreshes) to allow LCD pixel transitions to complete after the previous refresh, but BEFORE the next refresh begins. This is to allow fully clear refreshes for a strobe backlight to flash. For the science on how strobe backlights work to eliminate LCD motion blur and allow CRT-quality motion on LCDs nowadays, see High Speed Video Of LightBoost. This is why a lower refresh rate with strobe backlights can have clearer and better quality motion.

3. Using a profile from another similiar-spec display can help. For example, XL2420Z and XL2411Z profiles are generally interchangeable (with minor tweaks), and probably with XL2430T, but the default calibration of the panel may change, and you may need to readjust.

The XL2430T is very new, so there's very few threads on that model (yet).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 21 Sep 2014, 14:07

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I believe the XL2430T uses BENQ Blur Reduction II, the sequel to BENQ Blur Reduction.
What's new in BENQ Blur Reduction II?

dauv

Post by dauv » 22 Sep 2014, 12:56

TerminatorUK wrote:Hi Dauv,

I'm very interested in this buying this monitor but cannot find any reviews anywhere!

What is your experience with the monitor generally - is it good, do you like, colours ok, responsive it etc..!
Hi TerminatorUK

My old monitor was a 26" Samsung with 60hz, so take my "review" with a grain of salt.

I think it's a really good monitor, and I could instantly feel the incredible difference coming from a 60hz monitor. Everything is running super smooth and resposnive when I'm playing CS:GO and I'm loving it ;). The black equalizer setting makes it a lot easier to spot enemies in dark areas aswell.
Only "negative" thing I got to say about it is that the colours where a bit messed up when I first got it, but after adjusting it a bit, they are completly fine now. It's definitely a great monitor, but also very expensive, I sometime consider if I should just have picked up the XL2420z instead, but in the end I decided to go with this one.

1112e

Post by 1112e » 13 Nov 2014, 21:16

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i just got this monitor and have a question.

So Playing the binding of isaac: rebirth, i notice quite a bit amount of motion blur. Could this be because i'm running in 60hz ( only have a laptop with hdmi for another few days)?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 16 Nov 2014, 04:44

You may have to enter the service menu to enable single strobe.
Holding down the menu button (until the led's flash once) while powering on the monitor is usually how you enter the service menu; you know you did it correctly if the eye care logo does NOT appear.

The monitor double strobes at 75 hz and below unless you force single strobe from the service menu, and using vertical total tweaks that are far away from the normal default of 1125-1149, causes it to use the 60hz backlight pulse widths instead of higher hz pulse widths (even at 100-120hz) (that's why the osd will report 60hz if you are using VT tweaks to lower the crosstalk, and also why the display mode aspect setting will not work correctly with any VT tweaks), so strobe phase and strobe duty (persistence) changes won't work unless you enable single strobe first (not sure if they will work at 144hz if you are NOT using single strobe, though).

daveyfunk

Post by daveyfunk » 27 Nov 2014, 18:53

Hello. I apologise for my ignorance here (new to the site and crap with technology) but am I right in understanding that blur reduction doesn't work at 144hz? Through my understanding, the blur reduction turns on strobe backlighting and this can't sync up quick enough at 144hz? Is that right? I've seen various different sites saying different things to solve motion blur and ghosting and so I'm a little confused.