bugs caused by lightboost hack

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
shuffle

bugs caused by lightboost hack

Post by shuffle » 20 Sep 2014, 08:41

hey

like the title says the hack is not safe to use, it will ruin your monitor.. if you have a good panel you are OK but if your panel is like mine you will soon have to buy a new one.

let me explain.

the hack works with less brightness then the original monitor and tends to show the horizontal lines that you usual dont see with normal brightness.. after some weeks using the hack my momitor starts flickring when i used 144hrz cause the lightboost fucked my panel.

right now my pixel clock cant go any higher then 230mhz (100hz) all because of the hack, i cant explain any better but i remember the first day i used lightboost, on the top of my screen i could see some horizontal lines on dark areas and right now when i use 144/120 all i see is that.

dont use it, is good but it will damage your monitor cause it will mess with your brigtness levels.

cmr_shaven

Re: stop using the lightboost hack

Post by cmr_shaven » 20 Sep 2014, 15:56

hello shuffle,

did you by any change installed the new drivers for nvidia (344.11)?

because i got the same problem. it appears after installing these drivers. after going back to the previous installed driver (340.52) the problem existed.

i uninstalled strobelight and deleted the entry in the autostart menu.

i had to clean the drivers with display drivers uninstall for a fresh install of new drivers. at this time i got the 337.88 in the pipeline. i also diddnt install geforce exp. and the nvidia hd audio for testing.

after that i had no more issues. i can now change to 144hz without problems. and strobelight works also as intende with 120hz.

but i want to install the new drivers for nvidia and it must be an issue with strobelight or the monitor is ruined indeed.

i dont know. hope to hear more from you folks.

have a nice day!

edit: shit happens! i thought your post is new.... diddnt saw it was from august...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: bugs caused by lightboost hack

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Sep 2014, 17:30

LightBoost is built-in part of 3D Vision. It is a feature that is designed to function, and does not damage the monitor.

The horizontal lines is simply a panel quirk and also shows up in 3D Vision mode (wearing shutter glasses). It is normal for LightBoost to be dimmer than non-LightBoost. It is no different when using LightBoost for 2D mode. That part is normal, and a behavior of a panel running at its maximum limits of its specs. Quality of LCD panels always degrade at higher refresh rate (e.g. 144Hz has worse colors than 60Hz, and LightBoost has worse colors) but that is a normal function of these LCDs and does not damage them.

The dotclock problem is caused by a driver issue.

All the 'problems' instantly disappear if you're using the correct drivers & you turn off LightBoost. The monitor is not damaged.

I have edited the topic title, to reflect a more accurate title.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

cmr_shaven

Post by cmr_shaven » 21 Sep 2014, 02:40

thank you very much for your reply.
i thought so, it is a driver issue indeed.
with the correct drivers everythings worked out.

have a nice day!

shuffle

Post by shuffle » 21 Sep 2014, 06:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:LightBoost is built-in part of 3D Vision. It is a feature that is designed to function, and does not damage the monitor.

The horizontal lines is simply a panel quirk and also shows up in 3D Vision mode (wearing shutter glasses). It is normal for LightBoost to be dimmer than non-LightBoost. It is no different when using LightBoost for 2D mode. That part is normal, and a behavior of a panel running at its maximum limits of its specs. Quality of LCD panels always degrade at higher refresh rate (e.g. 144Hz has worse colors than 60Hz, and LightBoost has worse colors) but that is a normal function of these LCDs and does not damage them.

The dotclock problem is caused by a driver issue.

All the 'problems' instantly disappear if you're using the correct drivers & you turn off LightBoost. The monitor is not damaged.

I have edited the topic title, to reflect a more accurate title.
i know you have better knowlodge on this but i let me prove you it was the hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-0XWs ... wbaTiZWb_Q

look at this video

1- the monitor is at 60hz and i got no problems
2- changed to 120hz and i got that white screen with artifacts
3- change it back to 60hz and adjust the brigtness to low levels and has you can see the monitor glithes.

this happen cause the monitor satyed for to long with the hack enable and with low brigtness which lead to artifacts.

my solution was to put it at 100hz with the brightness on nvidia panel on 100% cause the brightness from the monitor is not enought to cover the back light.

i still can use 120/144 but i need to set the gamma to 2.50 (nvidia) and darker colours doesnt work.

also the glithes doesnt show on screenshots and all of this is without the hack

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2014, 16:56

shuffle, If you are right, then it is time to claim the monitor warranty. It's certainly not supposed to do that (if you've already reset the monitor via unplug-then-replug, and also gotten the correct drivers). If it normally did that on all LightBoost monitors, then simply using 3D Vision damages the monitor. Virtually everybody else's monitor goes back to normal when you exit 3D Vision mode / exit LightBoost mode. If yours did not (even after unplugging then replugging monitor, and resetting drivers to a known good driver), then something is defective.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shuffle

Post by shuffle » 22 Sep 2014, 12:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:shuffle, If you are right, then it is time to claim the monitor warranty. It's certainly not supposed to do that (if you've already reset the monitor via unplug-then-replug, and also gotten the correct drivers). If it normally did that on all LightBoost monitors, then simply using 3D Vision damages the monitor. Virtually everybody else's monitor goes back to normal when you exit 3D Vision mode / exit LightBoost mode. If yours did not (even after unplugging then replugging monitor, and resetting drivers to a known good driver), then something is defective.

i dont think i have warranty, its been 2 years alrdy.

the problem is only with the brigtness.. i wish someone could tell me the exact reason. it started like interference at 144hz then suddenly i couldnt use 144hz anymore then 120hz and it stoped at 100.

i never seen any lines with normal mode but with LB i could see on darker areas some lines.. maybe benq sucks and they send faulty panels, maybe is that but my next will not be benq for sure cause they cant even answer the email i sent..

dont buy benq and if you are unlcky with the panel this aswome hack may ruin your monitor.

BB SinisteR

Post by BB SinisteR » 27 Oct 2014, 14:11

Then you are saying lightboost will ruin your monitor.
All the hack does is turn a feature from 3d mode on in 2d mode.
So if the hack is ''ruining panels'' then those panels were defective
and would 3d mode would have ''killed'' the monitor too. The hack
just enables a built-in feature of the monitor, nothing more, completely safe.