ULMB vs Lightboost

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Hoal

ULMB vs Lightboost

Post by Hoal » 05 Oct 2014, 14:47

Hi,

what is the advantage of ULMB over Lightboost or what is the difference between them?

Thanks!

Black Octagon

ULMB vs Lightboost

Post by Black Octagon » 05 Oct 2014, 16:34

Well for starters, ULMB is a technology specifically designed for motion blur reduction.

LB technology was designed for 3d basically, but can be used for blur reduction via a (not officially supported) hack.

Both work thanks to a rapid backlight that can turn on and off brightly for very short intervals. Beyond that, there may indeed be other subtle differences. I'm sure others will list these if true

I assume that ULMB is better by virtue of bring newer and tweaked for motion blur reduction

Falkentyne

Re: ULMB vs Lightboost

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Oct 2014, 19:37

On the 24" monitors, lightboost (at least with Asus tracefree handling it) has lower ghosting and better movement image quality than ULMB. On all of the 27" monitors, the ghosting is worse (whether in lightboost, benq blur reduction or otherwise) than the 24" screens.
I don't know if anyone has compared lightboost vs ULMB on the swift, though. Lightboost always degrades the color and contrast ratios, while ULMB does NOT.