Brighter strobed displays?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Oofloom

Brighter strobed displays?

Post by Oofloom » 27 Oct 2014, 21:10

Any hope of seeing brighter strobing displays soon? I figure 500 cd/m2 is about the minimum spec to make 1ms strobes bright enough.

Falkentyne

Re: Brighter strobed displays?

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Oct 2014, 09:24

Theyre already as bright as they are going to get.
You can make them brighter by raising the persistence.
Keep in mind that for example, you could potentially burn out (or cause eye damage) the backlight LEDs by having too much current going in. Have you seen the current monitors at 100% brightness? they are literally blinding. Yet you have to run 100% brightness to get a decent bright level in strobed mode. Also I don't know if the Swift does this, but the other monitors (Asus and Benq Z) increase the current even more when strobing is activated.

blargg

Post by blargg » 28 Oct 2014, 14:01

The everyday (non-strobed until I modded it) Acer monitor I have has an LED strip capable of around 320mA pulsed, 10ms max duration, 10% max duty, yet is only driven at 100mA normally, even on 100% brightness (which is blinding). This pulsed capability would allow significantly more brightness for strobing than stock. The LED driver has a max of 180mA, so that's the limitation (which is simple enough to exceed using four external MOSFETs on the driver board).

I take it they already do this in some as you mention, and I believe that more brightness could be achieved with more LEDs along the light strips. I think that normally they don't do this because at 100% normal (non-pulsed) duty, this would generate too much heat. But for low duty cycle, they aren't generating maximum heat (more like the amount of heat generated by a normal-density strip at the same equivalent brightness). So I think that there's plenty of room for more brightness in strobed mode if there's demand, without having to switch to say a matrix of LEDs behind the LCD rather than strips at the edge.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Oct 2014, 11:21

Falkentyne wrote:Theyre already as bright as they are going to get.
Actually...

The main issue is most strobed monitors use LCD panels and backlights not originally designed for strobing. Strobe backlight monitor makers utilize these mass-produced TN panels via overdrive & strobe trickery.

But more than 10x strobe brightness has been successfully used in the laboratory. It's technologically doable.

Also, even the FG2421 achieves twice the strobe brightness of the TN monitors.

Real world example: Go to IKEA and buy a 100watt replacement LED bulb, or buy a CREE LED bulb from Home Depot. They are also installing LED streetlamps near here, and they are starting to design LED stadium lighting! And LED projectors exist now; getting much brighter over time. Realistically, there's no limit to how much brightness of LED can be squeezed into a panel, except sheer economics, cost and complexity. If you wanted overkill, you could focus a large light source through a prism focussed through an edgelight.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Oct 2014, 11:25

blargg wrote:So I think that there's plenty of room for more brightness in strobed mode if there's demand, without having to switch to say a matrix of LEDs behind the LCD rather than strips at the edge.
Today, edgelights are much more efficient than backlights. The optics actually end up counterintuitively (to most people) simpler. LED are often pont-source emitters. You have to diffuse them.

Backlight: Converting a matrix of light-iluminating dots into even light.
Parabolas and lens focussers to focus light forward. Then re-diffusing. Efficiency losses.

Edgelight: Converting a bar of dots into even light
You only need to focus and diffuse in one dimension rather than fill the gaps between both.
Special fresnel-style & diffuser sheets do the job.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 04 Mar 2015, 00:37

Any news on this front?