VG248QE Lightboost introduces severe ghosting

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Lotus

VG248QE Lightboost introduces severe ghosting

Post by Lotus » 04 Nov 2014, 22:51

I bought an Asus VG248QE a few weeks ago, and at first everything was beautiful. Installed the ToastyX strobelight application (the easy version) and put the regular running one in my startup folder. Everything worked perfectly. Today I brought my rig to a friends place, and so had to redo the stuff because I unplugged my monitor (duh), and now every time I turn strobing on I get this god awful ghosting effect. Double image, ick. I have no idea what's going on and why it isn't working as beautifully as before. Can someone help? Has this happened to anyone else where lightboost makes things worse?

Falkentyne

Re: VG248QE Lightboost introduces severe ghosting

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Nov 2014, 22:57

What's the framerate? Your lightboost will only be smooth if you are getting 100 fps at 100 hz or 120 fps at 120 hz.
And if you're using 120hz in internet explorer, you won't get a smooth picture in the testufo page, you'll get a double image with it going at 60 or 67 FPS.

Did you run strobelight at your friend's place? Because when you unplug the monitor, it has to be reinitialized. Does it say 3d mode on the OSD? What refresh rate is it?

Lotus

Post by Lotus » 04 Nov 2014, 23:01

120hz using firefox. As I said, it worked perfectly beforehand, and then now it has abruptly started ghosting. I have no idea why. Yes, I did re-initialize it. My monitor does say 3D mode when I open the menu. Everything looks like it should work like it did before, but now it just looks like shit with that stupid ghosting effect.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Nov 2014, 00:07

Try running reset-all in the custom resolution utility, then (should also be on toasty'x page), use the "restart" zip file so you don't have to restart the computer, unplug and replug in the monitor and then run strobelight again. Also double check the cable connection as well.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » 05 Nov 2014, 00:36

I did the following in the order presented: I ran reset-all, reset my computer, unplugged my monitor's power, ran strobelight-setup again, reset my computer, strobelight launched on startup like normal and initialized the display, and still I get double image ghosting with strobelight on. With it off, there is no double image ghosting, but there is blurring. The Tracefree setting on my monitor has been turned off, and put to 80, and everything in between with no effect. I'm at a loss. I splurged on this monitor and it was working fantastically until today and this pisses me off. The entire point of this monitor was to avoid this kind of awful motion artifacts, and now it's unavoidable.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Nov 2014, 00:50

Are you using an Nvidia card or an AMD card? If this is an Nvidia card,
Are you 100% COMPLETELY SURE that you do NOT have 3d GLASSES (stereo) mode enabled in the Nvidia control panel?
You said you're getting a double image. I have two VG248QE's and I know that this simply does not happen in strobed mode.
Make sure you don't have it set to stereo mode. Stereo mode literally halves the FPS (120->60 for each eye, afaik) and creates a double image...it's for shutter glasses.

Other than that, the only possible thing you can do is to uninstall the videocard driver, run "DDU" (Display driver uninstaller) which should be on a guru3d forum link, then reinstall the driver. if that doesn't help, RMA the monitor.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » 05 Nov 2014, 01:00

I'm using an AMD R9 270. I do not own any NVidia products at the moment, and have never tried to do any kind of 3D. I'm going to try one more time to completely reset everything to stock, and then go from there.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 05 Nov 2014, 01:11

I have seen double image issues on Radeon before, but that was usually caused by something like, using FlipQueueSize (DX9 and older games only) to 32 instead of 33 (Oblivion has a jerky cursor unless you set this to 31); Path of Exile gives a double image with FlipQueueSize of 32, and VERY high frame time latencies, instead of the default (33), and also some strange issues with certain hardware plugged in. I remember, a VERY long time ago (I think when I had a 7970 or a 6970), the FRAPS FPS counter showing "120 fps" while on the screen it was clearly blatantly 60 fps or lower. And there was a --massive-- double image effect, and I was using a CRT during that time.

I don't remember what caused it or what fixed it, but it was annoying. It was like the frame rate was being artificially cut in half.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » 05 Nov 2014, 01:14

I'm an idiot. I didn't remember to eliminate variables. Firefox must have updated or something that introduced the problem, or maybe a driver update that causes a weirdly specific conflict. I have no idea. It works fine in Chrome, and I'm guessing it works fine in-game. Something must have happened with Firefox leading to the double image problem with strobelight. Even in firefox with strobelight off, I do not have a double image problem. Only with strobelight on in firefox do I see it. I have no clue how or why, but the problem I've been experiencing is limited to firefox only.

edit: okay, it happens a little bit in Chrome, but not nearly as much. What's odd is that the second image is several pixels away from the leading image. This is just weird.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Nov 2014, 01:10

Browser issues can also interfere with TestUFO -- see http://www.testufo.com/browser.html
120fps is not always reliable in web browsers -- it should be, but a lot of browser vendors keep introducing bugs.

When web browsers break, tell them!
Report a FireFox bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
Report a Chrome bug: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/entry

For multiple-images during strobing in TestUFO, it's:
Double-image means half-framerate (Hz/2).
Triple-image means third-framerate (Hz/3).
Quadruple-image means quarter-framerate (Hz/4).
So it looks like your FireFox is updating at 60fps (regardless of what it is saying as fps or Hz in TestUFO).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!