DDC/CI Software Backlight Strobing?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
James Freeman

DDC/CI Software Backlight Strobing?

Post by James Freeman » 11 Jan 2014, 09:10

I have found a neat soft that can change the monitor backlight.
http://screenwhite.com/screenbright/

Is it possible to using this ddc/ci method and some custom software to strobe the backlight in accordance with the display refresh rate?

For example:
I watch 24fps movies on my 72Hz monitor.
I want the back light to flash 3 time each movie frame (just like cinema), so a 72hz strobing would be ideal.
1/72 = 13.88ms, so even a slow strobing (>2ms) will be fine.
Can a software+DDC/CI do that?

My current monitor is not LightBoost capable, but its a w-led & ddc/ci.

EDIT:
Nevermind, just realized that the brightness control controls the pwm of the voltage and in no way we can fully turn it off.
Last edited by James Freeman on 12 Jan 2014, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: DDC/CI Software Backlight Strobing?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 11 Jan 2014, 10:22

you are a goddamn genius!

ToastyX

Post by ToastyX » 12 Jan 2014, 21:54

No, DDC is too slow to do that.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2014, 22:58

ToastyX wrote:No, DDC is too slow to do that.
I agree.

Plus:

(1) You need high precision (<1ms, preferably <0.2ms) for timing the strobes, relative to VSYNC.
(2) You need ultrahigh precision (<10 microsecond) for strobe length.
(3) You must repeat all the above correctly every single time (e.g. 120 times a second)

Strobe length consistency is more important than strobe timing consistency (depending on how large the blanking interval is).

It's easy to see random flicker in a poor-quality strobe backlight that varies 1%-2% in strobe length. That means 10-20 microsecond variances in a 1ms strobe backlight. Every 10 microsecond error creates a flicker of 1% brighter/dimmer, so you MUST have extremely high precision in your backlight/edgelight electronics. (10 microsecond is a full 1% of 1 millisecond, which is why you can visually see brightness differences).

DDC/CI cannot be used as a means of introducing motion blur reduction backlighting, as there's several milliseconds of latency, and too much jitter on a serial (I2C) bus.

Also, I created this page: Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight. Blur Busters started in 2012 originally as http://www.scanningbacklight.com when I experimented with an Arduino scanning backlight, before the discovery of LightBoost.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Jan 2014, 07:43

Also, you would need hard real-time requirements on the OS side to do it with software. Neither Windows, nor Mac nor Linux can do that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Neo

Post by Neo » 14 Jan 2014, 23:09

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Strobe length consistency is more important than strobe timing consistency (depending on how large the blanking interval is).
Chief, is there an opportunity for variable strobe length and timing, as long as more important factors such as average light output are maintained? This is obviously relevant for variable frame rates but also for potential subframe rendering techniques such as smooth frame insertion, to increase light output, and avoiding flicker and double-imaging for low frame rate sources.