Acer GN246HL Step-by-Step Lightboost Install?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
rjtheinsane

Acer GN246HL Step-by-Step Lightboost Install?

Post by rjtheinsane » 01 Dec 2014, 20:58

Due to this cybermonday's sale of the monitor, could we perhaps make a simple step-by-step tutorial concerning lightboost and GN246HL (considering it's inability to perform with ToastyX).

tesqui

Re: Acer GN246HL Step-by-Step Lightboost Install?

Post by tesqui » 02 Dec 2014, 02:00

I just got my GN246HL and it works 100% with light boost by following the third howto from the top. That is the "Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #3: ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility " tutorial.

Just follow that exact. Also be sure to add a non-lightboost refresh rate like 144hz. So that you can turn it off by switching to 144hz. More info about that is on step 4.

rjtheinsane

Post by rjtheinsane » 02 Dec 2014, 06:21

Thanks man! I'll be sure to try that out when I get mine, ships today :D

rjtheinsane

Post by rjtheinsane » 02 Dec 2014, 06:29

Now that I've looked at that method, I may have a small issue. Im going to be getting an AMD card in the next few weeks but am currently using a GT630 as a placeholder. How would I go about this issue?

Auros

Post by Auros » 10 Dec 2014, 18:22

I have the same issue. It seems like having the GN246HL and an AMD card is the worst possible combination, since you either need a ToastyX compatible monitor or an Nvidia card to get Lightboost to work.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Dec 2014, 08:33

That's correct. The GN246HL isn't exactly the easier monitor to enable LightBoost on.

You really don't want that model if you want LightBoost on AMD.

If you want easy "pushbutton LightBoost" on your next monitor, that works with any graphics cards (or even consoles such as XBox360), the BENQ Z-Series is the easiest since you don't need software except for a one-time adjustment that is memorized even if you unplug the monitor and plug in a different device. Same for EIZO's Turbo240, and probably LG's MOTION240 (their equivalent, though their strobed monitors does not seem to be sold in North America), both of those work with NVIDIA and AMD. ULMB found in GSYNC monitors is also pushbutton too -- but is NVIDIA specific. For easy LightBoost options, see Official List of 120Hz+ Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Darthballs31

Post by Darthballs31 » 16 Dec 2014, 15:11

Hi,

So I have recently purchased the Acer GN246HL, and I have tried doing the HOWTO #3 lightboost hack. Everything runs fine, but once I reach the install wizard, I do not get a black screen, or a laggy mouse. Also, when I try to test to see if it is on, the OSD for the 3D portion is still locked, and I do not notice any differences when performing the image test.

Am I doing something wrong here?
When looking at the threads on this monitor, and various youtube videos, there are some variation to it. One user has posted in the thread with the use Nvidia 3d check box on, while others don't.
Also, I've read that this works fine with a secondary monitor (I use an old 17 inch dell) on the FAQ, but some users say it only works with the secondary monitor disabled.

Thanks again for the help.

Darthballs31

Post by Darthballs31 » 23 Dec 2014, 03:21

Darthballs31 wrote:Hi,

So I have recently purchased the Acer GN246HL, and I have tried doing the HOWTO #3 lightboost hack. Everything runs fine, but once I reach the install wizard, I do not get a black screen, or a laggy mouse. Also, when I try to test to see if it is on, the OSD for the 3D portion is still locked, and I do not notice any differences when performing the image test.

Am I doing something wrong here?
When looking at the threads on this monitor, and various youtube videos, there are some variation to it. One user has posted in the thread with the use Nvidia 3d check box on, while others don't.
Also, I've read that this works fine with a secondary monitor (I use an old 17 inch dell) on the FAQ, but some users say it only works with the secondary monitor disabled.

Thanks again for the help.
Update: I was able to get the monitor running lightboost hack. However, I am not sure if it is because I turned the screen itself to 120 hertz (via screen resolution), or something else, but after getting it to work. The power button on the bottom right will turn green rather than blue.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 23 Dec 2014, 03:41

Green is what you want. that's the "color" of Nvidia's logo. The Benq Z series also turns green when you enable lightboost. Well done!
Blue is standard operation.
Orange is either power save mode or factory menu/burn in mode.