Video with tracking camera shows lightboost in action

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Bulbo

Video with tracking camera shows lightboost in action

Post by Bulbo » 26 Jan 2015, 12:33

I've recorded a video from my Asus VG248QE with active lightboost, 144Hz and 60Hz.

In the first part I dragged a text window over the screen and moved the camera synchronously to it.
You can perfectly see the huge difference between 60Hz and 144Hz and the strobed version.
In the second part I used a Battlefield screenshot.

phpBB [video]

Enjoy!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Video with tracking camera shows lightboost in action

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jan 2015, 13:14

Excellent video!

Yes, this is a manual version of a pursuit camera.
This is an excellent way to video the effects of motion blur reduction.

Enabling the pursuit camera pattern on www.testufo.com/ghosting and www.testufo.com/photo is also another cool way to photographically capture (or video capture) motion blur and/or the lack thereof.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 26 Jan 2015, 16:11

GREAT stuff! I almost wish you had dragged the window 2-3x faster, as I do in real life. Nonetheless, great stuff. I wish we had mini-clips like this in monitor reviews...PixPerAn photos are useful but not as representative of actual motion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 26 Jan 2015, 22:56

fantastic, gonna share this with anyone who wants a quick easy to understand demo!

thijs

Post by thijs » 27 Jan 2015, 20:28

very educational yes , will show it to a few people too

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » 02 Feb 2015, 22:21

So it's not a pursuit camera, but if you have an iPhone 6 or 6+ with 240fps video recording, you can step through it and see each individual frame fade in and out.

I haven't tried it with a strobing screen, but it might be fast enough to give you a general idea of what's going on.

Bulbo

Post by Bulbo » 03 Feb 2015, 09:16

The camera sits on a box that is connected to the mouse and the mouse sensitivity is adjusted so the speed of the camera movement is almost the same as the window on the screen.

I did not use a high speed camera as it shows only how the frames are getting light and dark by the strobing. All You can see is how the pixels look in that moment. But that does not give an impression how it looks when You look at it with Your eyes.

Using a longer exposure time kind of simulates the inertia of the eyes and reflects the effect very well.
I was surprised myself how well the video matches the real picture.