The future of strobing display tech

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
sIZ#t3XCX$t3*%b1^M0B

The future of strobing display tech

Post by sIZ#t3XCX$t3*%b1^M0B » 02 Feb 2015, 03:09

I have only just recently found this site and was stunned with all the information that I had been looking for but didn't quite know it. For the longest time I was wondering if I was just imagining motion clarity when I used CRT based displays. Never REALLY bothered to look into it until I stumbled into this place.

So, frankly, as much as I would LOVE to see this kind of motion clarity for myself, until it's been seriously standardized and really worked out, I don't think I'll be buying any kind of new monitor. So my question to everyone is, how do you think this will pan out? I mean, it seems like we either need insanely beastly machines that pump out 120 fps no matter what we throw at them, or we'll be stuck with potentially weird flicker problems and eye fatigue from the lower frame rate and therefore matched monitor refresh.

I guess I should state that I'm operating under the assumption that this has to coincide with VRR tech too. So, do you think that if you have the monitor hitting a minimum of 120hz and throwing in a few more strobes when there are out of sync frames ready that that would be peachy or what?

I've read a lot of the articles from the site, but not so much from the forms. I did a quick search and didn't see this kind of discussion immediately, so forgive me if there's something like this somewhere else. Maybe direct me to it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: The future of strobing display tech

Post by RealNC » 02 Feb 2015, 04:27

Strobing is constant. It doesn't adapt to how many frames the GPU is sending to the monitor. If the monitor is in 120Hz mode, it is strobing the backlight 120 times per second regardless of how much FPS you get from the game/application.

There's monitors that can strobe at 85Hz. That should be comparable to an 85Hz CRT (except for the bad luminosity of LCD backlights, of course.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 02 Feb 2015, 09:30

Well... VRR and strobing isnt going to be combined. If that ever happens - resolution and refresh rate will become obsolete concepts before that.

Motion on 60hz OLED looks way different (better) than motion on 60hz LCD.
Id say you could get close to CRT/lightboost motion clarity with a flicker free 200-300hz OLED. Pulling this out of my ass tho.
And you can combine it with VRR, as its flicker free (strobing IS flicker by nature).

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 02 Feb 2015, 13:26

And in principle, flicker free OLED at 300+Hz is technically possible...just yet to become commercially interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flood

Post by flood » 02 Feb 2015, 15:35

3ms persistence is nowhere near crt clarity

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 02 Feb 2015, 17:35

flood wrote:3ms persistence is nowhere near crt clarity
Correct...but who here said it was, flood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flood

Post by flood » 02 Feb 2015, 18:10

Edmond wrote: Id say you could get close to CRT/lightboost motion clarity with a flicker free 200-300hz OLED. Pulling this out of my ass tho.

sIZ#t3XCX$t3*%b1^M0B

Post by sIZ#t3XCX$t3*%b1^M0B » 03 Feb 2015, 01:04

3ms persistence on something that's running at sub 300fps is still going to produce exactly equivalent sub 300hz longer persistence eye-tracking motion blur, isn't it? I mean, the displayed image is still there, persistently, during each screen refresh and is therefore not changing until it changes with the next frame, right? So that's why I can't seem to escape the notion, fundamentally, of VRR and low persistence images. If those are mixed, I can't imagine that you wouldn't have to do some kind of strobe matching to get optimal motion clarity.

As far as changing display tech so fundamentally that resolution and refresh rate aren't factors, I don't know how that's even possible. Without producing physical objects that actually move through space, your only option is to simulate that by creating individual images and streaming them. So if displays don't change, is it that we'd have to just have insane machines that can produce those images at a sufficient rate?

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 03 Feb 2015, 04:36

Ill take a 300hz flicker free OLED over any flickerfest lightboost panel any day of the week.

Also, you say 3ms persistance.... cuz you assume the motion will be at 1000 pixels per second?
What if the motion is at 300 pixels per second? (say GTA, not quake)... THEN my 300hz OLED will have EXACTLY CRT motion clarity @ 1ms persistance.

Or if i go crazy with my mouse, i can make any of your lightboost monitors blur up to those 3ms persistance....

Also, whats with the obsession with getting to that absolute CRT quality? You enjoy flicker/stutter/tearing THAT MUCH?

Wave your hand in front of your eyes... notice the natural blur?
A 100% blurless screen would look cool ye, but definitely not vital and not natural. Id say its much more valuable to get flicker free OLED as high as you can in refresh rate. And DP1.3 allows 500hz @ 1080p (OLED obviously doesnt care)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2015, 12:01

Edmond wrote:Wave your hand in front of your eyes... notice the natural blur?
There is no blur if you follow your hand's movement with your eyes. On an LCD, there is blur even if you do follow movement with your eyes.

A 100% blur-free monitor would not look unnatural. It would look just as blurry as your eyes normally perceive movement. Any blur introduced by the monitor just adds to that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.