UFO motion test not reading 120hz

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
XxSquints

UFO motion test not reading 120hz

Post by XxSquints » 16 Jan 2014, 14:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Edited Update:
See HOWTO: Fix "TestUFO Stuck at 60Hz" FAQ
When using the UFO motion test it wont read 120pfs/120hz on my asus vg248qe 144hz monitor. It did it the first time I did it, but now on 60fps/60hz. Anyone know why?

sharknice

Re: UFO motion test not reading 120hz

Post by sharknice » 16 Jan 2014, 14:28

I'm using a multimonitor setup and it used to go to 120hz in Chrome but now it only goes up to 60hz. It only works in Firefox for me now. I'm not sure if there was an update to the blink rendering engine that broke it or what the deal is.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 14:59

sharknice wrote:I'm using a multimonitor setup and it used to go to 120hz in Chrome but now it only goes up to 60hz. It only works in Firefox for me now. I'm not sure if there was an update to the blink rendering engine that broke it or what the deal is.
Try turning on AERO mode. It usually fixes the 60Hz problem.

See www.testufo.com/browser.html for system requirements.
Make sure there is no window (even other apps) sitting on the other monitors, especially the 60Hz monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 16 Jan 2014, 16:51

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
sharknice wrote:I'm using a multimonitor setup and it used to go to 120hz in Chrome but now it only goes up to 60hz. It only works in Firefox for me now. I'm not sure if there was an update to the blink rendering engine that broke it or what the deal is.
Try turning on AERO mode. It usually fixes the 60Hz problem.

See http://www.testufo.com/browser.html for system requirements.
Make sure there is no window (even other apps) sitting on the other monitors, especially the 60Hz monitor.
I got it working now.
If I turn on High Performance instead of a Balanced in the power options it works. Otherwise it never syncs no matter what I do.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 17:17

sharknice wrote:If I turn on High Performance instead of a Balanced in the power options it works. Otherwise it never syncs no matter what I do.
You're using a laptop, or a desktop?
If using a desktop, I will amend the instructions to also mention that one needs High Performance Mode for TestUFO.

Indeed, High Performance is best for games, anyway -- anything else will often slow down or add inaccuracies (e.g. stutters) to games.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

XxSquints

Post by XxSquints » 16 Jan 2014, 17:27

I am using Firefox. System requirements are good, but where are you switching to performance mode?

sharknice

Re: UFO motion test not reading 120hz [fixed]

Post by sharknice » 16 Jan 2014, 17:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
sharknice wrote:If I turn on High Performance instead of a Balanced in the power options it works. Otherwise it never syncs no matter what I do.
You're using a laptop, or a desktop?
If using a desktop, I will amend the instructions to also mention that one needs High Performance Mode for TestUFO.

Indeed, High Performance is best for games, anyway -- anything else will often slow down or add inaccuracies (e.g. stutters) to games.
Desktop and Windows 8. I think what is causing it is the processor throttling. If you have this disabled in your motherboard you won't see the issue.
If you type "Power Options" in the start screen it is under settings. Then in the advanced power settings ->Processor Power Management - Minimum Processor State. I have that enabled for the Balanced power option setting. The blink rendering engine is probably more power conscious than Firefox's.

XxSquints

Re: UFO motion test not reading 120hz [fixed]

Post by XxSquints » 17 Jan 2014, 17:52

So Firefox browser is good, and switched to performance. UFO test still wont read 120.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

[fixed] UFO motion test not reading 120hz

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 18:16

XxSquints wrote:So Firefox browser is good, and switched to performance. UFO test still wont read 120.
Which version of Windows?
And do you have Aero enabled (Classic won't work)?
Also, Chrome usually works better than FireFox.
  • Windows, Mac, or iOS. Unfortunately most Linux/Android browsers do not use VSYNC yet.
  • Supported browser. Run directly. VMWARE and Parallels will not reliably support VSYNC.
  • GPU acceleration enabled in browser. For Chrome, everything enabled in chrome://gpu
  • If using a laptop, use "Performance Mode" for faster performance. Close other apps/tabs.
  • Single-monitor is usually more reliable. Temporarily disable multi-monitor if needed.
  • For Microsoft Windows 7 (or Vista), keep Aero enabled for better VSYNC performance.

XxSquints

Re: [fixed] UFO motion test not reading 120hz

Post by XxSquints » 17 Jan 2014, 23:34

Windows 7 pro, and I don't have aero but I have it set on basic. I will try chrome and see how that works, I read Firefox 25 is having memory leakage.