Triple Surround LightBoost works! (WHQL 332.21 drivers)

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Triple Surround LightBoost works! (WHQL 332.21 drivers)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 17:36

Blur Busters posted a Hardware Modification LightBoost HOWTO for those people who wanted surround LightBoost. But that's often too hard. There's now a solution that doesn't require a hardware modification!

jderbs of Overclock.net has given me permission to crosspost his thread about getting surround LightBoost working:
jderbs wrote:I JUST GOT SURROUND+LB TO WORK ON 332.21 WHQL DRIVERS

I originally just wanted to get LB on my center monitor only because I've started playing a lot of CS:GO. When I did the following steps it was magically enabled on all of my monitors when surround was enabled.

Here's what I did (make sure your nvidia ctrl panel is set to Active All Displays, not surround)

1) Forget the strobelight program, it's useless in this application. You have to have CRU.exe. If you can figure it out with strobelight, cool.
2) Use CRU.exe to manually edit ALL of your monitors' Product IDs to ACI27F8
3) Leave all of the default resolutions there for your monitors and add this to only your main monitor's resolutions manually
4) Close down CRU and restart your computer
5) Open CRU and ensure that all of your monitors have the new product ID and the new resolution is on your main monitor
6) Use Windows to set all of your monitors to 60hz
7) Open Nvidia control panel and start the configuration for surround. If you followed this properly the ****ty nvidia drivers should be tricked into thinking everything is fine with the monitors and you haven't messed with their IDs. I think that's how nvidia is trying to shut us down.
8) Run through the surround setup
9) Set your "surround" to 120hz
10) Boom - Lightboost surround on all of your monitors

This was driving me crazy. If it doesn't work for some of you, I might have to add steps to add custom resolutions to the nvidia control panel as well.

EDIT:

After further testing I can't get around this being undone once you reboot or shutdown your pc. You don't need to do the entire process again, but you have to disable surround and then re-enable it. A pain in the butt for now. If anyone can figure out a quick workaround that'd be awesome.
Yes, that means you can't use Strobelight, and need to use another application, but this is a solution.

There are pitfalls with this approach, but I know some people have paid four figures ($$$$) and are frustrated, so this is a great solution for those people who want to get LightBoost working during triple surround!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!