Lightboost on OS X [yes, it works!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
drcreek

Re: Lightboost on OS X [yes, it works!]

Post by drcreek » 01 Mar 2014, 06:26

I'm having a spot of bother with this one. Can't seem to correct it. I've tried using the Color Profiler tool. but that only has something to adjust the white balance?

Do you or anybody else know of a tool to adjust it?

It really is a total colour shift. White is green and grey is purple.

But I can't seem to find any settings to adjust this anywhere in settings.

Here is how it looks...

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4GY8gBYGibF9Q

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 12:02

Wow, that's funky looking colors. Much worse than Windows LightBoost colors.

It's likely using the wrong color profile. Search for "Color calibration" on iTunes (App Store), and see if you find color adjustment utilities there.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

drcreek

Post by drcreek » 06 Mar 2014, 09:08

I've looked around and can't find anything.

Only a few professional tools but they all require a €200 thing you clip on the screen to measure the colours.

Nothing simple. Apple have very tight control over stuff like that I think.

They don't even let AMD write the drivers for it, they take AMD's and write their own.

I'm starting to think it will only work in Windows unless there is another way to adjust the hue/rgb settings manually.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2014, 11:16

That's too bad there is no simple tool -- I know that several 24" 1ms panels (VG248QE, XL2411T) has had an unusually tinted LightBoost compared to other LightBoost monitors. If you try the same thing on an ASUS VG278H, it looks a whole lot better.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2014, 15:37

UPDATE: ToastyX made an excellent suggestion:
ToastyX wrote:Your best bet is to use a color profile. Here's one you can try: http://www.toastyx.net/vg248qe-lightboost.icm

Put it in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays, then select it in System Preferences -> Displays -> Color.

drcreek

Post by drcreek » 07 Mar 2014, 11:15

I've had a go with that.

It helps.

The whites are now basically pretty white, a little blue, but white.

However the blacks are now a stark magenta?

I vaguely remember having this purple issue when plugging my old Macbook in to my TV? And that was a problem with the wrong colour profile. RGB-High/RGB-LOW something like that. Does that sound like something? I had to change a setting on the TV though to fix it.

And the Mac thinks this is a TV, not a Monitor.

And my options for the resolution is "1080p", not "1920 x 1080" like a monitor should be, but more like TV. I'm starting to think it's something to do with that.

Any ideas how I would make the Mac think this is a proper monitor and not a TV?
Attachments
Skärmavbild 2014-03-07 kl. 17.13.14.png
Skärmavbild 2014-03-07 kl. 17.13.14.png (85.03 KiB) Viewed 7070 times

drcreek

Post by drcreek » 09 Mar 2014, 12:54

If anybody has anything on this, please let me know, but I'm gong to put it on the back burner for now.

I've been reading that in the new beta of OS X 10.9.3 there is a fix for getting 60Hz on some 4K displays and signs of a new 4K display from Apple themselves, I'm guessing this might require them to update the drivers, hopefully it might change things for me too, but I'm pretty stoked with just 144hz non-lightboost to be honest. It's way smoother than 60hz and OS X renders everything at full speed wonderfully. Lightboost would just be the cherry at this point.

I'm getting a lot less headaches and when I've tried light boost for windows games. It does tend to give me motion sickness. So maybe I'm better off without it in OS X.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Mar 2014, 23:17

drcreek wrote:If anybody has anything on this, please let me know, but I'm gong to put it on the back burner for now.

I have a new suggestion -- Have you considered newer strobe backlight technologies (newer than LightBoost) such as BENQ Blur Reduction, found in XL2411Z, XL2420Z, and XL2720Z? It allows you to get the "LightBoost"-style effect by pressing a button on the monitor, without the color problems?

The new Version 2 firmwares have come out, and Strobe Utility is out, so I'm starting to like BENQ monitors better than LightBoost monitors. (Both are TN monitors and have similar color quality, for those who are used to TN, however, BENQ Blur Reduction is much more user friendly). Just make sure you obtain a monitor with Version 2 firmware pre-installed. You can alse use Blur Busters Strobe Utility, to adjust some settings.

drcreek

Post by drcreek » 20 Mar 2014, 05:10

I've already paid for two of these ASUS screens and they're working great except for Lightboost colours on OSX.

Loving them for LIghtboost Gaming in Windows and they're smooth enough for working with graphics on Mac with non-lightboost 144Mhz.

I might upgrade when some nice 27" BENQs have it in a year or so. So I can go back to 1440p.

But thanks, I'll keep you posted if the 10.9.3 update does anything.

drcreek

Post by drcreek » 16 May 2014, 04:34

Yup. 10.9.3 did it.

Added the line mode from the linux instructions.

Reboot. Set it in display settings.

Boom. Looks great. Had to tweak the colours with Apple's built in tools. But with about 10 mins of squinting and adjusting sliders. I'm in a good place.

If you compare this to the previous attempt, the difference is amazing. The screen is quite dim now. But I think I'll get use to it. OS X ha this nice ability to tweak the contrast before it goes to the monitors so I can have it quote low and boost it in software to help the pink problems even further.

UFO tests coming up almost perfect. Safari has a bit of jitter. But I can tell it's mostly just a javascript thing. And Chrome doesn't support all the GPU requirements on OS X.

But for me I can feel that the screen is "Calmer" to my eyes. Which is my main goal.

at 60Hz it almost feels like every frame was screaming at me and at 144hz it was a little better. But still "Angry". This feels like a more mellow way to show me a moving image. I'm so pleased with it.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A1JtdOXmJf4fqq