ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 20:06

nimbulan wrote:I found I get the least color distortion if rather than having it perpendicular to my line of vision as you'd expect, I tilt it downwards a little bit. Looking directly on you get some color distortion at the top of the panel (and it gets really bad if you try to use it in portrait mode.)
Hmm. This might be a panel-to-panel variance, or a different viewing distance I do (arm's length). My unit does look better when viewing perpendicular. It might be specific to preview units.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 27 Jan 2014, 20:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
nimbulan wrote:I found I get the least color distortion if rather than having it perpendicular to my line of vision as you'd expect, I tilt it downwards a little bit. Looking directly on you get some color distortion at the top of the panel (and it gets really bad if you try to use it in portrait mode.)
Hmm. This might be a panel-to-panel variance, or a different viewing distance I do (arm's length). My unit does look better when viewing perpendicular. It might be specific to preview units.
I suppose that could be. I get a similar effect with all TN panels I've used, but the exact angle it occurs at could vary panel to panel.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 03 Feb 2014, 17:00

I turn lightboost on sometimes during gaming on my vg248qe. Otherwise the color looks really bad and its saying a lot from someone who find the color on my vg248qe to be beautiful normally, i wish i could use ULMB instead, but i do appreciate the extra clarity a lot.

Brama

Post by Brama » 04 Feb 2014, 04:38

I have been using lightboost at 10% since I discovered how to enable this function.
I don't like very high brightness and I calibrated the monitor to 80 lux with LB at 10%.
I use it in games, movies, and desktop and I am very satisfied. It seems really to use a CRT.

Mang

Post by Mang » 04 Feb 2014, 04:44

I use Lightboost 10%. Haven't even tried the other brightness settings as 10% works great for me and the motion clarity is unbelievable. Circle strafing in CSS is sweet with Lightboost.

shadman

Post by shadman » 04 Feb 2014, 08:09

Convinced another friend of mine to get a new monitor, and he is rocking the Asus VG248QE (had some issues with it at first, all resolved now) and after a few days with it he is using Lightboost 10% 24/7 now. He doesn't seem to think the colors are too washed out (It looked alot better than my other friends BenQ XL2420T (I think that is the one he has)), but only really notices with another display side-by-side to compare.

1peplove1

Post by 1peplove1 » 04 Feb 2014, 19:05

I am using a BenQ XL2420T and Strobelight by ToastyX @ 10%. Playing battlefield you can literally get the jump on others in fire fights , with strobing on flying a jet you can see things from the cockpit that would otherwise be unseeable. I have tried on/off and different percentages. I adjusted nvidia control panel settings to get the right color, brightness, gamma settings as well. I still feel that 10% is pretty dim and tried playing with 50% and 100% always found myself going back to 10% and finally just settling there and now after a few weeks my eyes have adjusted to the dimness and actually prefer it to higher brightness settings. Took awhile to adjust to the dimness especially during daylight. If I play with higher settings I just dont like the trade off of smoothness to what little brightness you get.

gib

Post by gib » 04 Feb 2014, 19:52

I also used lightboost at 10% until installing the gsync mod a few days ago.

I do miss that flexibility to adjust on the fly. I'm sure over time I'd get used to ULMB being at this fixed rate, but with this kind of tech, who doesn't like having a choice?

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 05 Feb 2014, 03:38

gib wrote:I also used lightboost at 10% until installing the gsync mod a few days ago.

I do miss that flexibility to adjust on the fly. I'm sure over time I'd get used to ULMB being at this fixed rate, but with this kind of tech, who doesn't like having a choice?
Yeah same for me, but the hardware button on the monitor is really nice though. I blew some minds at a LAN this weekend using testufo moving map and switching ULMB on and off with the button.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 06 Feb 2014, 04:31

Anyone else gets a nvidia kernel crash when strobelight is running for too long?
Sometimes im gaming without lightboost but with the strobelight exe running and game crashes because of nvidia kernell . . .