1000hz mouse [Wireless?]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Ahigh

Re: 1000hz mouse [Wireless?]

Post by Ahigh » 30 Jan 2014, 20:10

G500S and G700S are the only mice IMO. The Razers work too. Logitech is better.

Prefer wired, won't do wireless even when they do all the extra effort, it's wired for me.

G500S and worry about wireless if that's not good enough IMO.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 31 Jan 2014, 01:21

Ahigh wrote:G500S and G700S are the only mice IMO. The Razers work too. Logitech is better.

Prefer wired, won't do wireless even when they do all the extra effort, it's wired for me.

I'd save a few bucks and go for the G400s. Optical sensors are more accurate than laser even though they're cheaper. You won't get quite as many features generally but do you really need them?

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 31 Jan 2014, 01:52

nimbulan wrote:
Ahigh wrote:G500S and G700S are the only mice IMO. The Razers work too. Logitech is better.

I'd save a few bucks and go for the G400s. Optical sensors are more accurate than laser even though they're cheaper. You won't get quite as many features generally but do you really need them?
Actually they fixed all the acceleration issues in the Avago S9808 laser sensor which is used in the Logitech G500s and G700s. So they track just as perfectly as optical sensors and are also are capable of higher DPI.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 31 Jan 2014, 02:21

sharknice wrote:
nimbulan wrote:

Actually they fixed all the acceleration issues in the Avago S9808 laser sensor which is used in the Logitech G500s and G700s. So they track just as perfectly as optical sensors and are also are capable of higher DPI.
I did a lot of research before buying a G400s and was never able to find any proof of this, just a lot of anecdotal evidence both for and against. I really wish there were more resources available for mouse testing, but the most recent (and possibly only) thorough gaming mouse comparison is almost 7 years old now. Acceleration isn't the only issue though, there's also malfunction speed. Laser sensors tend to lose accuracy at a lower physical mouse speed than optical sensors do, though I don't believe this has been measured with the specific sensor the G500s uses. DPI really shouldn't an issue since the G400s' max of 4000 is already ludicrously sensitive for the vast majority of users. I just don't see any benefit to spending the extra money on a G500s unless you really like the button layout or the dual mode scroll wheel.

mello

Post by mello » 31 Jan 2014, 04:30

Soon, i will be making a transition from 120fps @ 60Hz (fps capped, VSYNC OFF) because of new monitor (XL2420TE). I decided to not to wait for XL2720Z or G-SYNC because from what i have read here, the best thing for me would be 120fps @ 120Hz mode (fps uncapped, in game it would be 200-300fps, LightBoost at either 10% or 50%, VSYNC OFF). Now, i wasn't aware that a mouse can be a weak link here. Currently i am using an old mx518, and if it would improve gaming experience, i could switch to something new like G500s. But how much of an improvement that would be ?

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 31 Jan 2014, 11:29

nimbulan wrote:
sharknice wrote:
nimbulan wrote:

I did a lot of research before buying a G400s and was never able to find any proof of this, just a lot of anecdotal evidence both for and against. I really wish there were more resources available for mouse testing, but the most recent (and possibly only) thorough gaming mouse comparison is almost 7 years old now. Acceleration isn't the only issue though, there's also malfunction speed. Laser sensors tend to lose accuracy at a lower physical mouse speed than optical sensors do, though I don't believe this has been measured with the specific sensor the G500s uses. DPI really shouldn't an issue since the G400s' max of 4000 is already ludicrously sensitive for the vast majority of users. I just don't see any benefit to spending the extra money on a G500s unless you really like the button layout or the dual mode scroll wheel.
I think I know the article you're talking about where he set up the spinning mat under the mouse and tested them out. It would be nice if reviewers did similar tests for new mice. The fact that the mat was spinning instead of moving straight makes me wonder if that test was as accurate as it could have been though. I think something that can move a surface straight, or move the mouse straight would be a better test.

This is the review where I saw the S9808 doesn't have acceleration. He implies that from the tests he did he couldn't find any acceleration, he didn't test every single DPI setting but he is convinced it is fixed.
I also tested for acceleration with a G700s and couldn't find any, but that was just by hand moving as slow as I possibly could and as fast as I could and getting the same result.

I agree about the DPI, an optical sensor is probably high enough already for most people.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2014, 13:23

mello wrote:Soon, i will be making a transition from 120fps @ 60Hz (fps capped, VSYNC OFF) because of new monitor (XL2420TE). I decided to not to wait for XL2720Z or G-SYNC because from what i have read here, the best thing for me would be 120fps @ 120Hz mode (fps uncapped, in game it would be 200-300fps, LightBoost at either 10% or 50%, VSYNC OFF). Now, i wasn't aware that a mouse can be a weak link here. Currently i am using an old mx518, and if it would improve gaming experience, i could switch to something new like G500s. But how much of an improvement that would be ?
The MX518 is still superior to cheap mice, so it may not be that massive of a weak link, but you will probably get a noticeable upgrade by switching to a recent Razer DeathAdder mouse or similar, especially if you follow sharknices' tips. (There's a new mouse-related Blur Busters article being posted soon).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 31 Jan 2014, 14:53

sharknice wrote:This is the review where I saw the S9808 doesn't have acceleration. He implies that from the tests he did he couldn't find any acceleration, he didn't test every single DPI setting but he is convinced it is fixed.
I also tested for acceleration with a G700s and couldn't find any, but that was just by hand moving as slow as I possibly could and as fast as I could and getting the same result.
Let's get rid of that massive quote box here... I read through that review quite a few times back in December. Oddly enough it's one of the things that convinced me to get the G400s since despite what he says, the test drawings he did looks like he's struggling to stay accurate using the two laser mice vs the optical. It is good to hear that Avago may have finally cured the acceleration problem with laser sensors, though. It only took 8 or 9 years since the first laser sensor was introduced. On a related note, prior to this mouse I had been using the first laser mouse, the Logitech MX1000, since 2005. It served me well though upgrading to a new mouse was like night and day.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
mello wrote:Soon, i will be making a transition from 120fps @ 60Hz (fps capped, VSYNC OFF) because of new monitor (XL2420TE). I decided to not to wait for XL2720Z or G-SYNC because from what i have read here, the best thing for me would be 120fps @ 120Hz mode (fps uncapped, in game it would be 200-300fps, LightBoost at either 10% or 50%, VSYNC OFF). Now, i wasn't aware that a mouse can be a weak link here. Currently i am using an old mx518, and if it would improve gaming experience, i could switch to something new like G500s. But how much of an improvement that would be ?
The MX518 is still superior to cheap mice, so it may not be that massive of a weak link, but you will probably get a noticeable upgrade by switching to a recent Razer DeathAdder mouse or similar, especially if you follow sharknices' tips. (There's a new mouse-related Blur Busters article being posted soon).
The MX518 was one of the, if not the best mouse at the time. I doubt optical sensors have changed much since then so you shouldn't need to worry about accuracy or malfunction speed. The only issue with it is the native 125 Hz polling rate which would require USB overclocking to overcome. I suspect there would be very little difference between it and a new mouse after overclocking.

Mang

Post by Mang » 04 Feb 2014, 04:53

I didn't read the entire thread, but here's a quick word of advice from personal experience.

If you are running Windows 7 or even Windows XP (I'm not 100% sure if Windows 8 does this or not), then your mouse is automatically limited to 125Hz. Some mice are able to override this with drivers but I'm pretty sure not many do (even good quality gaming mice).

http://www.overclock.net/t/596276/chang ... z-or-lower

The difference was absolutely night and day. I just made the change a few months ago. Rest assured, I will NEVER go back to the default 125Hz that Windows limits it at. Accuracy is 1000x better too as movement with the mouse seems more smooth/"fluid". I have an original Razer Diamondback and even with the 1000Hz fix, it's still only capable of ~704Hz Peak, ~700Hz average. Still, the difference is absolutely astounding.

I don't have much knowledge of wireless mice so I can't help you there, but I hope the other info helps out!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 04 Feb 2014, 13:34

Mang wrote:If you are running Windows 7 or even Windows XP (I'm not 100% sure if Windows 8 does this or not), then your mouse is automatically limited to 125Hz. Some mice are able to override this with drivers but I'm pretty sure not many do (even good quality gaming mice).
My Logitech G400s worked out of the box at 1000 Hz (fully tested) on Windows 7 so I'd expect that other Logitech mice would as well. I didn't think this was still a problem past Windows XP?