About a XL2720Z Review [and XL2720Z strobe timing bug]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
lol37

Re: About a XL2720Z Review

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 11:06

that's a pretty dumb error coming from BenQ, hope to have a later added feature !
upon translating your posts, i was wondering if the "blurtrail" test works well with Windows 8/8.1, since it hasn't Aero on it.
I'm pending on that to fully translate the post

i added a remark about you and your work on my last post and said how poor implicated reviewers on that site are

Oh yeah, did you study French before ? i saw you sending one french sentence in a french website !
Last edited by lol37 on 28 Jan 2014, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 11:15

lol37 wrote:Oh yeah, did you study French before ? i saw you sending one french sentence in a french website !
Alas, I am not good at French; I mainly focussed on English because it was hard due to my deafness (my ancient hearing impairment FAQ from 1995-2000).
lol37 wrote:i was wondering if the "blurtrail" test works well with Windows 8/8.1, since it hasn't Aero on it.
I'm pending on that to fully translate the post
Windows 8/8.1 works great with TestUFO by factory default.
I'm using Windows 8.1 now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 12:05

something catched me up, they say there's crosstalk on both right and left side even with the 1ms panel in 3D mode and are about to contact BenQ, thats the firmware bug !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 12:07

lol37 wrote:something catched me up, they say there's crosstalk on both right and left side even with the 1ms panel in 3D mode and are about to contact BenQ, thats the firmware bug !
Strobe-timing-bug-based crosstalk creates "horizontal bands" of ghosting -- so left edge and right edge is equally ghosty, but top edge versus bottom edge would have "different amounts of ghosting"

All strobed monitors have a slight amount of crosstalk at top/bottom edges. This is normal, and unavoidable. However, the XL2720Z has it particularly intense (complete double-image effect) which makes it unusable to many of us compared to LightBoost.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 12:10

i see.
The head of that website replied back about you, just let you be acknowledged

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: About a XL2720Z Review [and XL2720Z strobe timing bug]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 12:23

This is the strobe flash mis-timing problem that better explains how it can interfere with gaming, photographed in detail:

(For full screen photo, View This Photo in Full Screen Mode)

This is a photograph of http://www.testufo.com/photo#photo=alien-invasion.png (Photo->Alien Invasion, as well as Height->Full Screen ... camera exposure taken same refresh cycle length). The artifact is exactly the same as seen by human eye; and it clearly interferes with motion clarity during games. You can also try other photos at http://www.testufo.com/photo in full screen mode, the problem is the same. It shows up the most during panning/strafing/turning in games, were you get lot of ghosting along a full-screen-width horizontal band just below the screen center.

Please feel free to copy this post over there, to help explain this better.

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 12:43

you said an horizontal band right ?
i can't notice any of the picture you gave, maybe i'm just blind

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 12:46

lol37 wrote:you said an horizontal band right ?
i can't notice any of the picture you gave, maybe i'm just blind
I mean "band" = "zone"
It means horizontal zone of ghosting (double-image effect, which I now call "strobe crosstalk").

View the complete whole-screen photo in full screen mode, and observe that the double-image effect is for the full horizontal zone range area all the way from left edge to the right edge.
No double image effect at top (complete horizontal zone all the way left-to-right)
Lots of double image effect below center (complete horizontal zone all the way left-to-right)

Makes better sense?

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 12:49

i got it, i thought it was a thin band !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 12:59

Thanks for helping out!
The photo you just posted is too small, you can't see the problem.
You need to post link to both bigger photos

Code: Select all

http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/xl2720z-strobe-crosstalk.jpg

Code: Select all

http://www.blurbusters.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/xl2720z-strobe-crosstalk-described.jpg