About a XL2720Z Review [and XL2720Z strobe timing bug]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
lol37

Re: About a XL2720Z Review [and XL2720Z strobe timing bug]

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 13:05

i posted the first one, there's no point sending the second one, it is smaller
maybe you forgot to click on the picture to make it full displayed?
edit : nevermind, you have to manually drag&drop the picture on your address bar to see it fully, because of the comments screen size limit

i want to talk back about the strobing brightness, what does make manufacturers retaining themselves about voltage boost ? monitor damage ?
about the BenQ MBR, would be possible to do the same lightboost voltage boost trick ? best of both worlds, brighter strobing and adjustable strobe length!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 16:02

lol37 wrote:i want to talk back about the strobing brightness, what does make manufacturers retaining themselves about voltage boost ? monitor damage ?
(1) Cost.
(2) And LED lifetime.

The LED lifetime can be affected by the voltage boost.
A small boost is insignificant -- it would still last a lot longer than CCFL backlights.
A huge boost may, however, impact life significantly, and manufacturers don't like hearing about that.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 16:08

what would be the difference against black-and-white based CRT phosphor and a white LED backlit LCD monitor in lifespan,
the light filtering makes voltage increase supply as a need so that's why LED lifespan is shorter ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphor#White_LEDs they both use phosphor but aren't the same compound so... i don't know what to think
i guess CRT white phosphor has a too long decay time for a correct strobing visual

i cant wait for OLED combining both CRT like image quality and motion-blur free without bright loss !
Last edited by lol37 on 28 Jan 2014, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 16:24

White LED phosphor decay is about ~0.1 to 0.2 milliseconds, according to my photodiode oscilloscope test.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lol37

Post by lol37 » 28 Jan 2014, 16:29

for thoses who don't really care about a shortening backlight life, we could so easily mod some circuitry to get an huge boost and forget the dim effect
will the BenQ MBR be moddable in the same way that the lightboost is ? i'm talking about the current boost, at the expense of lifespan indeed
it will unavoidbly void warranty, can the LED backlight let be replaced once worn out ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Jan 2014, 23:34

Make sure to mention on lesnumeriques, that strobe crosstalk issue is mainly noticeable when playing at over 100 frames per second (most noticeable at 120fps @ 120Hz).

It is not noticeable when playing at low frame rates (e.g. 50fps, 70fps), but becomes very noticeable at 120fps.

lol37

Post by lol37 » 29 Jan 2014, 03:24

it's done, thanks.