Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Postby 7bhsq » 24 Sep 2017, 02:12

I got this working on the PG258Q with the +5 VT trick on 144Hz. It's really only usable on games that don't stream data during gameplay though because those stutters are extremely distracting. It looks great though, with only minor fluctuations in brightness on games that run smoothly once everything is loaded.
7bhsq

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 24 Sep 2017, 15:29

Glad it works easily and well on the ASUS PG258Q!

On my PG278Q (144Hz version, not the newer 165Hz versions), the +5 trick only enables LightBoost (fixed-Hz), and not simultaneous ULMB+GSYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby Vanu » 01 Oct 2017, 11:05

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I also have the Dell SG2716DG and I also succesfully got ULMB + G-Sync to work. Hower, I only used a +1 on the VT in CRU.
Using +5 VT would reset the screen to "Normal" in the OSD. But I also read RealNC said thats normal and it would work in games anyway.

It seems that +1 VT does the trick as well, since I could enable G-Sync and ULMB at the same time on the desktop as well. (OSD also kept showing ULBM was on and the screen stayed dimmed.)

Am I just fooling myself? Because I cant check if g-sync is working properly since I don't have a display native FPS counter.
Vanu

Postby RealNC » 01 Oct 2017, 12:05

If the microstutter of FPS < Hz is gone, g-sync works. Also, you can test by using an FPS cap. If you set the cap to, say, 60FPS, then you'd get immense flicker. Very easy to tell.

If changing the FPS does not affect flicker, then g-sync is not working.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 01 Oct 2017, 12:20

You can see if it is working properly if the flicker is variable and the ULMB microstuttering disappears during framerate fluctuations (as long as framerate stays really high).

Also, it is my understanding that you can also use NVInspector to force-enable a "GSYNC indicator" and or frame rate counter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby RealNC » 02 Oct 2017, 04:08

Oh, forgot about the indicator.

No need for inspector for that. You can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia control panel. It's in one of the menus at the top of the window.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Postby click4dylan » Yesterday, 20:06

Confirmed does NOT work on Acer XB240H. Adding +5 puts the monitor into lightboost only mode with no ULMB available, and attempting to enable gsync just makes the monitor say no signal
click4dylan

Previous

Return to Eliminating Motion Blur — LightBoost / ULMB / ELMB / DyAc