G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by RealNC » 07 May 2018, 04:04

Vipu wrote:I followed those steps but cant get it to work, without CRU.
Try with CRU. Follow the 9 steps described two posts below the linked one.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vipu

Post by Vipu » 07 May 2018, 04:30

RealNC wrote:
Vipu wrote:I followed those steps but cant get it to work, without CRU.
Try with CRU. Follow the 9 steps described two posts below the linked one.
Ok I got it to work with +1 VT
Didnt take long to test and see this is not so good sadly, the flicker is just too much even if fps changes just 1fps.
Hopefully someday its possible to have gsync and ulmb at the same time without so much flicker because damn the few seconds it was normal it was so clear and smooth.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 May 2018, 05:04

Vipu wrote:Ok I got it to work with +1 VT
It's been a while since I last tried it. You're right. It doesn't work with +5 anymore, but does with +1. I edited my post.
Vipu wrote:Didnt take long to test and see this is not so good sadly, the flicker is just too much even if fps changes just 1fps.
Hopefully someday its possible to have gsync and ulmb at the same time without so much flicker because damn the few seconds it was normal it was so clear and smooth.
Yep. It needs rock-stable frame times. RTSS is pretty much required to have a chance of it looking remotely useful. In-game limiters don't work too well.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kheri

Post by Kheri » 12 Oct 2018, 17:00

I'm not sure what allows G-Sync and ULMB to be on at the same time. Firmware options?

Is there any chance the Acer Predator Z1 (Z301C Tbmiphzx) can utilize G-Sync and ULMB at the same time? (It's an ultrawide that can run 120hz ULMB). And since I'm talking about it now, how much of a problem can a VA panel panel (smearing, blur), I've only seen reviews Predator Z35; I imagine they'd be similar. Perhaps black-to-grey response times don't matter much. Pretty sure the ghosting and smearing will be too much.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2018, 14:57

Kheri wrote:I'm not sure what allows G-Sync and ULMB to be on at the same time. Firmware options?
A firmware quirk or bug or intentional easter egg that only gets triggered via a Custom Modified Resolution as the obscure "trigger".

You know, getting your hands dirty with Custom Resolution Utilities -- and modifying the video signal in a beind-the-scenes way, such as Porches, Sync, and Vertical Totals.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 03 Dec 2018, 05:38

Just to update, I managed to get it working again on drivers 416.94 and Windows 10 1607. But I wanted to bring light to something that I find personally to be a far better solution than hacking g-sync to work with ULMB. Rivatuner Scanline Sync. Basically you get the benefits of super low input lag with v-sync off, no hard framedrops to half refresh when you can't make full, and no tearing visible nearly all the time. When combined with ULMB, it makes for a really nice alternative to full persistence g-sync gaming.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 04 Dec 2018, 04:32

Not saying Rivatuner Scanline Sync is bad or anything. It's just different. The point of G-Sync+ULMB is getting low input lag, getting almost zero motion blur, never getting tearing, and never getting repeated frames (above 40fps) and their associated judder. At the cost of variable brightness and variable flickering.

With that Rivatuner thing (which I should try, to reduce input lag when playing in 3D Vision, because it's essentially like 60Hz), anything lower than fps=Hz will still be imperfect.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

mds83

Post by mds83 » 04 Dec 2018, 09:45

The variable brightness is what annoys me the most about this hack, not the flicker. Especially around 60fps and below -- the screen gets noticeably darker. So for console ports that are usually 60fps locked I have no choice to just use gsync only and deal with the blur/meh.

However, at 120fps I don't see any noticeable brightness dips.

Villani

Post by Villani » 13 Dec 2018, 09:10

I'm currently new to browsing this forum, managed to enable both ulmb and gsync at the same time and it looks amazing in the games I play!
But one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to make the settings carry over on restart? Every time I restart my pc after having it turned off over night the settings don't work anymore - or the games have insane flickering, forcing me to re-apply everything from the start.
Is there a way to fix this :c

Also is it good to cap fps with this mod? I've been running v-sync + 118fps cap on inspector... does it hurt input lag a lot or are these settings fine?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Dec 2018, 23:23

Villani wrote:Also is it good to cap fps with this mod? I've been running v-sync + 118fps cap on inspector... does it hurt input lag a lot or are these settings fine?
Depends.

VSYNC ON adds more lag but can look perfectly identical to fixed-Hz ULMB (no erratic flicker) everytime the framerate stays fully flat out.

However, the use of RTSS can be very beneficial to reduce ULMB input lag, by capping about 3fps below refresh rate. RTSS is extremely accurate, so flat-out can look really good.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!