G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2018, 02:06

Pendulum demo is also low framerate, e.g. 50fps.

On 240Hz GSYNC, the sweet spot ULMB strobe range is ~75Hz-144Hz but can be extended to roughly ~75Hz-155Hz with the ULMB 155Hz hack combined with ULMB+VRR.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Luckbad

Post by Luckbad » 17 Dec 2018, 14:10

Yep! I use the MSI Oculux NXG251R in-game with ULMB and G-Sync on. It looked amazing except when the framerate dropped momentarily (which BF5 tends to do regardless of settings), at which point it made it seem like I blinked. I vaguely recall something about tweaking black frame times or something on the forums here so I'll take a look at some point and try to optimize it.

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 10 Jan 2019, 01:38

just stumbled upon this thread and have not read through all pages but wonder what is the consensus or verdict here, g-sync and ulmb/strobed works good together and what is the steps?

if it does work well why is there not a big deal made about this and a "official" blurbusters guide, etc ? because everywhere u look on the web and in monitor reviews from "pro" monitor websites etc they all say gsync/VRR and strobing is non-compatible with eachother at the moment, doesnt work, etc...

anyone has a review/test of 117 fps/120 hz gsync+ulmb / 141 fps/144 hz gsync+ulmb / 177 fps /180 hz gsync+ulmb or even 237 fps/240hz gsync+ulmb ?

feels like if does indeed work well then it should be a big deal no? thanks for any help !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jan 2019, 02:18

It is an unofficial/undocumented hack.

Read through the thread. Big cons (erratic flicker) with a few pros, and very fiddly. It can be pretty good when tweaked well. You really want your 0.1% frametimes to not exceed 1/75sec. Which is extremely hard. And use RTSS framecappong, not ingame capping, due to high capping accuracy needed. And I posted that the biggest VRR range already in this page of thread.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mds83

Post by mds83 » 10 Jan 2019, 13:13

Are there pros and cons in lowering the refresh rate for this hack? Like going from 120hz to 85hz?

alexander1986

Post by alexander1986 » 10 Jan 2019, 18:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:It is an unofficial/undocumented hack.

Read through the thread. Big cons (erratic flicker) with a few pros, and very fiddly. It can be pretty good when tweaked well. You really want your 0.1% frametimes to not exceed 1/75sec. Which is extremely hard. And use RTSS framecappong, not ingame capping, due to high capping accuracy needed. And I posted that the biggest VRR range already in this page of thread.

hm but I remember reading even on this site that ingame capping at the engine level is the most accurate aswell as the lowest delay in most cases unless the engine/game sucks basically ? RTSS has atleast 1 frame delay and enginelevel capping can be no delay at all, or is this also not any longer the case? depends on game?

thanks !

mds83

Post by mds83 » 18 Jan 2019, 16:28

I'm not 100% positive, but I think this hack now no longer works with the latest nvidia drivers. I tried +1 to +5 VT and none of them worked. Is it working for anybody else?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jan 2019, 18:18

alexander1986 wrote:hm but I remember reading even on this site that ingame capping at the engine level is the most accurate aswell as the lowest delay in most cases unless the engine/game sucks basically ? RTSS has atleast 1 frame delay and enginelevel capping can be no delay at all, or is this also not any longer the case? depends on game?
For GSYNC+ULMB, you need an accurate cap.

Erratic caps (even if lower lag) will flicker too painfully, so you want the more-accurate cap even if it's a bit higher lag.
mds83 wrote:I'm not 100% positive, but I think this hack now no longer works with the latest nvidia drivers. I tried +1 to +5 VT and none of them worked. Is it working for anybody else?
That'd be a damn shame. Some of us like the unofficial ULMB+GSYNC hack. We also need it for the ULMB 60 Hz hack and the ULMB 155Hz hack too.

Hopefully it's just a bug.

I do have a few NVIDIA contacts that I can relay to.

mds83

Post by mds83 » 07 Feb 2019, 08:20

Working again with the latest driver. :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Feb 2019, 16:03

mds83 wrote:Working again with the latest driver. :D
Great!
Which driver version?

I told a contact at NVIDIA who relayed it to their driver department, so that probably helped.