G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
enterprise24

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by enterprise24 » 22 Dec 2017, 10:25

OK After I try with RTSS limit fps to 118 for 4 days I feel that monitor flicker more frequently despite no stuttering. I always monitor fps and frametime graph on OSD and both are linear !!! So I just try uncap fps and the issue was gone. Also back to my 119.843 no issue also. I don't know the reason behind this.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Dec 2017, 17:40

enterprise24 wrote:OK After I try with RTSS limit fps to 118 for 4 days I feel that monitor flicker more frequently despite no stuttering. I always monitor fps and frametime graph on OSD and both are linear !!! So I just try uncap fps and the issue was gone. Also back to my 119.843 no issue also. I don't know the reason behind this.
This might be because frametimes are varying a bit, and the maxing-out to the G-SYNC max behaves as VSYNC ON gives you a little framebuffer pileup whch gives you some margin for frametime variances. So even if there's transient frametime variances the VSYNC ON framebuffering, essentially smoothes that out.

You don't notice this during non-VRR strobing, but this is highly noticeable during VRR strobing.

You may be getting slightly more input lag letting it max out, but it might not matter if you're not playing competitive games, and that image quality is more important.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

7bhsq

Post by 7bhsq » 11 Jan 2018, 01:07

Are there any signs that this will become an officially supported mode? It already works quite well on certain games.

ixenovia

Post by ixenovia » 12 Jan 2018, 16:19

Hello, i've made ULMB working with G-sync at the same time while running 155hz on my PG258Q.
For what I've tested i can't strobe using default refresh rate, This means i coudln't use 60 100 120 144 240hz,
because If the monitor finds a default refresh rate, It will activate G-sync and i wouldn't be able to enable ULMB.

So, this is how i proceeded:
1. On Nvidia pannel you need to change on Manage 3D settings, Preffered refresh rate set to Application-controlled.
// I suggest every time you start your game you check this voice, because something Nvidia change this parameter

2. You need to create a new resolution. At the momemnt I use 155hz and is a really sweet spot for me,
However you just need to change the Hz in something no default, But I can give you other different settings for other hz
These are my settings for 155hz https://i.imgur.com/CuEBEKv.png

3.Now enter in game and select your new resolution and exit

4.Active G-Sync and join the game

5.Now you are enable to active ULMB

PS.
I try to add 5 to vertical total pixel too, everything is the same so you just no need to do that.
Remember to cap your FPS -3 of your hz, cap 152 if you play 155hz
There is just a little issue with this, in game you can have some little change of brightness sometime, because you have like 155 refresh rate capped to 153.
Wanna avoid this? You can, is just a your preference there is just a compromise.
If you cap to the Max, like 155hz, you have some tearing on the screen, not so annoying but still better than no G-Sync.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2018, 10:10

7bhsq wrote:Are there any signs that this will become an officially supported mode? It already works quite well on certain games.
As far as I know, the usable range is too tight (75Hz thru 144Hz or 155Hz), the flickers are very bothersome below ~75fps, so this mode is extremely picky. There seems people happy with GSYNC and happy with ULMB, but fewer that want both together.

Thus, my judgement is that I don't think NVIDIA wants to make it an officially supported mode, unless a huge number of users on Blur Busters helps petition NVIDIA to make this an official mode.

A different way of combining VRR and low-persistence is accomplishing it without strobing. Basically strobeless ULMB, or in other words blurless sample-and-hold. Aka 500fps@500Hz (2ms persistence), or 1000fps@1000Hz (1ms persistence) which we've predicted will come for the mid 2020's, seen in Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays.

What we can make sure, is that NVIDIA keeps including this as an unofficial mode, preferably with strobing capability as low as 60Hz and all the way to 240Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Zazie

Post by Zazie » 27 Mar 2018, 10:31

Works with PG248Q?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Mar 2018, 11:48

Yes, the ULMB+GSYNC trick should work with that.

Remember, the combined ULMB+GSYNC trick works best only over a tight framerate fluctuation range (e.g. 75Hz-120Hz, or 75Hz-144Hz).

howiec

Post by howiec » 02 Apr 2018, 23:02

Thanks for sharing this method guys. I got it working @ 155Hz on my PG258Q as well.

Too bad PUBG has such lousy code and game design such that the FPS keeps dropping/stuttering resulting in ULMB light flickering that could cause seizures...

KindOldRaven

Post by KindOldRaven » 07 Apr 2018, 01:32

Haven't had time to read all pages in this thread yet, but this is *very* interesting stuff! I'm actually receiving my XB252Q this afternoon, so unless I get a faulty panel again; I'll be sure to test this out as well over the weekend ;)

KindOldRaven

Post by KindOldRaven » 10 Apr 2018, 05:05

Just tested this and it works at 144hz, ULMB+Gsync on the Acer Predator XB252Q. The flicker at times is distracting and kind of makes me nauseous (I still sit too close to monitor due to small desk) so I can't properly use it for longer than half an hour currently, but *man* that makes things look like nothing I've ever seen before! That's quite insane actually!

The monitor OSD thinks it's in 3D-Vision Lightboost mode and the Control Panel thinks it's in Gsync mode, but it worked! Adding +5 VT to 144hz mode to enable Gsync & ULMB @ 144hz confirmed.

I knew something was up when I checked the OSD and saw ''Lightboost 3D 80%'' and I could barely touch other settings. I can't usually enable this mode (only have access to ULMB via OSD or Gsync through Control Panel normally) so I went ahead and tried the rest of the how-to and... victory!

EDIT: Nvm. I'm behind a year. Was already widely known to work on this model :lol: