G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
7bhsq

Re: G-Sync and ULMB at the same time is in fact possible!

Post by 7bhsq » 24 Sep 2017, 02:12

I got this working on the PG258Q with the +5 VT trick on 144Hz. It's really only usable on games that don't stream data during gameplay though because those stutters are extremely distracting. It looks great though, with only minor fluctuations in brightness on games that run smoothly once everything is loaded.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Sep 2017, 15:29

Glad it works easily and well on the ASUS PG258Q!

On my PG278Q (144Hz version, not the newer 165Hz versions), the +5 trick only enables LightBoost (fixed-Hz), and not simultaneous ULMB+GSYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vanu

Post by Vanu » 01 Oct 2017, 11:05

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I also have the Dell SG2716DG and I also succesfully got ULMB + G-Sync to work. Hower, I only used a +1 on the VT in CRU.
Using +5 VT would reset the screen to "Normal" in the OSD. But I also read RealNC said thats normal and it would work in games anyway.

It seems that +1 VT does the trick as well, since I could enable G-Sync and ULMB at the same time on the desktop as well. (OSD also kept showing ULBM was on and the screen stayed dimmed.)

Am I just fooling myself? Because I cant check if g-sync is working properly since I don't have a display native FPS counter.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Oct 2017, 12:05

If the microstutter of FPS < Hz is gone, g-sync works. Also, you can test by using an FPS cap. If you set the cap to, say, 60FPS, then you'd get immense flicker. Very easy to tell.

If changing the FPS does not affect flicker, then g-sync is not working.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Oct 2017, 12:20

You can see if it is working properly if the flicker is variable and the ULMB microstuttering disappears during framerate fluctuations (as long as framerate stays really high).

Also, it is my understanding that you can also use NVInspector to force-enable a "GSYNC indicator" and or frame rate counter.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Oct 2017, 04:08

Oh, forgot about the indicator.

No need for inspector for that. You can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia control panel. It's in one of the menus at the top of the window.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

click4dylan

Post by click4dylan » 19 Oct 2017, 20:06

Confirmed does NOT work on Acer XB240H. Adding +5 puts the monitor into lightboost only mode with no ULMB available, and attempting to enable gsync just makes the monitor say no signal

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 04 Nov 2017, 12:34

Cannot get this working on my PG279Q anymore. That's the weird part, it used to work just fine when I first got it. Now it just stays stuck in g-sync only mode when I enter a game. Desktop is ULMB only while the Nvidia Control Panel shows g-sync should be enabled. No idea what I'm doing wrong, or if Nvidia patched it in their drivers recently.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Nov 2017, 18:38

Strange. Was it a driver upgrade?

Can you try the tweak using ToastyX CRU, instead of NVIDIA Custom Resolution? (Or vice versa, if you did it the other way before)
If you did via ToastyX, maybe try ToastyX "reset-all.exe"

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 15 Nov 2017, 02:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Strange. Was it a driver upgrade?

Can you try the tweak using ToastyX CRU, instead of NVIDIA Custom Resolution? (Or vice versa, if you did it the other way before)
If you did via ToastyX, maybe try ToastyX "reset-all.exe"
I did use CRU the first time. Did try it in Nvidia control panel and still not working. I don't believe I updated my drivers between the first time and recent attempts.

A side note is that I noticed my PG279Q has "memory" when it comes to remembering what mode each refresh rate should be set to. Sometimes when I set the display to 120hz, it automatically enters ULMB without me touching the OSD or control panel. Sometimes it even decides to go back to normal mode when set to ULMB, and I have to reenable it in the OSD.

Is this all common with these displays? For it to be so finicky and random? I really don't like how unpredictable it's acting.