Does LightBoost harm the monitors warranty?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Gummiglas

Does LightBoost harm the monitors warranty?

Post by Gummiglas » 25 Aug 2016, 08:59

Hey guys,
i searched for this information, but i couldn't find it, maybe because of my bad english :P

I bought the ASUS vg248qe and it's standing right in front of me. I would love to test the LightBoost hack, but I'm thinking about using the BenQ xl2411z instead. So my plan was to buy both monitors, test them and send the bad one back. But if the monitor loses its warranty if i use the LightBoost hack, i cant send it back :(

Can i test the LightBoost on my vg248qe without harming the warranty of the monitor?

Falkentyne

Re: Does LightBoost harm the monitors warranty?

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Aug 2016, 13:28

Lightboost is the strobe mode for 3d vision 2 and is part of the specification designed by Nvidia. The Nvidia drivers allow you to enable it in 2D mode if you have an emitter. ToastyX's Strobelight program (which you need) simply initializes that mode without the emitter, allowing you to use it on Nvidia or AMD cards without having a 3d vision 2 kit. Not only is the warranty NOT affected, Asus also has NO way of even knowing if you used Lightboost or not--nor would they even care in the first place.

Gummiglas

Re: Does LightBoost harm the monitors warranty?

Post by Gummiglas » 25 Aug 2016, 14:47

Thank you for the answer Flakentyne :)

That's good news!
I wasn't sure, because last thing i did was trying to overclock my BenQ GL2460 (without good results) and before i could do that in the nvidia driver, there was a message, telling me, i would lose the warranty if i continue. Because StrobX is called a LightBoost "hack", I wasn't sure if its changing something in the monitor.

I'll try it :)