Can strobing/BFI be used in conjunction with HDR?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
SeeNoWeevil

Can strobing/BFI be used in conjunction with HDR?

Post by SeeNoWeevil » 11 Sep 2016, 13:31

Or would the loss of light output make it impossible?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Can strobing/BFI be used in conjunction with HDR?

Post by RealNC » 12 Sep 2016, 09:59

HDR TVs that are LED-lit will keep using strobing and/or black frame insertion to reduce motion blur, so I'd say yes. It can be used.

Otherwise it would not be possible for manufacturers to keep putting those "480Hz" or "960Hz" stickers on their TVs, something their marketing department considers important ;-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Alamar

Post by Alamar » 12 Sep 2016, 13:44

Real HDR = OLED :]
Anyone working on improving motion in those oled TVs (without artifical frames inserting)?

SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil » 13 Sep 2016, 06:29

Wouldn't strobing at 60Hz with HDR be very hard on the eyes?

Are there any TVs currently that support low latency BFI AND HDR at a suitable nit?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Sep 2016, 14:18

SeeNoWeevil wrote:Wouldn't strobing at 60Hz with HDR be very hard on the eyes?
OLED TVs would simply interpolate, like they do now.

OLED monitors could play with high refresh and BFI. For example a monitor could take a 60Hz input and output in 180Hz where the first two scanouts use the input frame and the last scanout is a black frame.

I don't know if any such monitors are planned. But I doubt 60Hz will be given much thought in OLED gaming monitors to begin with.

In any event, 60Hz will always have some flicker. If you increase image retention (less black frames), you get more blur, if you decrease it (more black frames) you get more noticeable flicker. It's the nature of the beast.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

SeeNoWeevil

Post by SeeNoWeevil » 14 Sep 2016, 11:13

RealNC wrote:
SeeNoWeevil wrote:Wouldn't strobing at 60Hz with HDR be very hard on the eyes?
OLED TVs would simply interpolate, like they do now.

OLED monitors could play with high refresh and BFI. For example a monitor could take a 60Hz input and output in 180Hz where the first two scanouts use the input frame and the last scanout is a black frame.

I don't know if any such monitors are planned. But I doubt 60Hz will be given much thought in OLED gaming monitors to begin with.

In any event, 60Hz will always have some flicker. If you increase image retention (less black frames), you get more blur, if you decrease it (more black frames) you get more noticeable flicker. It's the nature of the beast.
I'd love to see higher refresh OLED with BFI.

Re. eye strain, I was more referring to a high nit display combined with the flicker of BFI. Is 60Hz flicker combined with ~1000nit highlights a problem?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 14 Sep 2016, 11:42

Is anyone else super excited that some day now we are going to be able to watch the testufo site at 240hz+ with zero blur and artifacts all in top quality pristine color. God i can't wait.