Low refresh rate Single Strobing (60hz+) interest

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
PanzerIV

Re: Low refresh rate Single Strobing (60hz+) interest

Post by PanzerIV » 11 Mar 2018, 15:42

Falkentyne wrote:You can't even use blur reduction under 120hz.
This was even mentioned in TFTCentral's review of the XL2730Z.
Yeah I know this now but I wish I did back then when I got the monitor. Thank god I did not have to pay for it as it was a compensation for all the trouble and harassment BenQ did to me when I had an RMA to do with the XL2420Z I had before as they pretended I never sent it back to them while I did, so they wanted to charge me for something I did not have just because some idiot at their warehouse either stole it, lost it or didn't do his job correctly. I wrote them several times and then went above to the HQ where they finally understood. They said they would exchange my monitor for the XL2730Z which I obviously accepted as it was worth a lot more, but now considering it's 2 major flaws of not being able to strob under 120Hz and not having the possibility of reducing crosstalk through higher VT, that's kind of like a poisonous gift as my cheaper XL2420Z could already do it heh.

I find that BenQ has changed a lot their mentality since they started the "Zowie" lineup and they went overpriced suddenly and are doing too much "gamer marketing bs" which doesn't gain much respect from me.

As you say Falken, it's hard to believe so few test has been done on the newer XL2735 after that much time. I didn't know it was already been 2 years. Heh now I undertand what happenned... they got ride of their old XL2730Z stocks knowing they were about to release the XL2735 shortly later.
Intel i5 8600K @ 5.0Ghz | EVGA GTX1080 8Gb @ 2100Mhz | MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | Corsair 2x8Gb DDR4-3200
Acer XB271HU + Shimian QH270 "1440P IPS"

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 24 Mar 2018, 05:01

Lg 24gm79g here.
Blur reduction (g's strobing mode) totally works on 60hz. I am not sure how to describe the effect.
It obviously lowers contrast and so on but the game feels a bit smoother? I don't see any flickering but it is visible with a camera.
It definitely have a lot of crosstalk but if someone prefers this to motion blur then it's here

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Mar 2018, 07:58

lexebidar wrote:Lg 24gm79g here.
Blur reduction (g's strobing mode) totally works on 60hz. I am not sure how to describe the effect.
It obviously lowers contrast and so on but the game feels a bit smoother? I don't see any flickering but it is visible with a camera.
It definitely have a lot of crosstalk but if someone prefers this to motion blur then it's here
If it doesn't flicker like crazy, then it's doing double-strobing (meaning you get 120Hz strobing at 60Hz.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lexebidar

Post by lexebidar » 24 Mar 2018, 09:04

It must be. Feels like interpolation/frame insertion rather than real 60hz strobing

MICk42

Post by MICk42 » 01 May 2018, 12:52

Hi guys!
I just wanted to join here and add some information.
First, I am also very much interested in 60 Hz single strobe. I'm playing Dark souls (among others) and the 60 fps lock leaves me no choice.
I just bought a BenQ XL2730 display (no "Z" - does anyone know if there's a difference between those two?) and quickly realized several things:
- MBR works and it's great.
- gives some crosstalk at the top and the bottom of the display, annoying and noticable in Windows, not so much in games
- the display single strobes on 100 Hz, 120 Hz and 144 Hz without a problem. Under 100 Hz however, I was unable to get a single strobe refresh rate.
The double strobe there is annoying.
On the other hand, in games from which I'm able to get 100 fps (Minecraft, for example) it works fabulous.

So, anyway: does anyone know, if there is currently any other option for me (regarding the 60 Hz single strobe)? I'm planning on returning this display and look for a better one. Any tips? I would prefer 27" TN display with QHD resolution. I don't care about Gsync/Freesync, as it cannot be run simultaneously with blur reduction (AFAIK).
For example, I'm currently looking at Dell S2716DG.
But from what I've read here, even this one cannot single strobe under 85 Hz, is that right? Or can it?

I was used to watch CRT at 50 Hz a lot (playing V-synced Pinball Dreams and Super Frog etc. in the WinUAE emulator), so I don't actually think the flicker would be such a problem for me...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 May 2018, 14:11

MICk42 wrote:Hi guys!
I just wanted to join here and add some information.
First, I am also very much interested in 60 Hz single strobe. I'm playing Dark souls (among others) and the 60 fps lock leaves me no choice.
I just bought a BenQ XL2730 display (no "Z" - does anyone know if there's a difference between those two?) and quickly realized several things:
- MBR works and it's great.
- gives some crosstalk at the top and the bottom of the display, annoying and noticable in Windows, not so much in games
- the display single strobes on 100 Hz, 120 Hz and 144 Hz without a problem. Under 100 Hz however, I was unable to get a single strobe refresh rate.
The double strobe there is annoying.
On the other hand, in games from which I'm able to get 100 fps (Minecraft, for example) it works fabulous.

So, anyway: does anyone know, if there is currently any other option for me (regarding the 60 Hz single strobe)? I'm planning on returning this display and look for a better one. Any tips? I would prefer 27" TN display with QHD resolution. I don't care about Gsync/Freesync, as it cannot be run simultaneously with blur reduction (AFAIK).
For example, I'm currently looking at Dell S2716DG.
But from what I've read here, even this one cannot single strobe under 85 Hz, is that right? Or can it?

I was used to watch CRT at 50 Hz a lot (playing V-synced Pinball Dreams and Super Frog etc. in the WinUAE emulator), so I don't actually think the flicker would be such a problem for me...
Some options may exist (black frame insertion) but these are application/game-specific, unfortunately! (at the moment)

There is a ULMB 60 Hz hack that works with PC content (not consoles).

I am not sure if the S2716DG is one of the monitors that support the ULMB 60 Hz hack at this time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 May 2018, 14:15

MICk42 wrote:So, anyway: does anyone know, if there is currently any other option for me (regarding the 60 Hz single strobe)? I'm planning on returning this display and look for a better one. Any tips? I would prefer 27" TN display with QHD resolution. I don't care about Gsync/Freesync, as it cannot be run simultaneously with blur reduction (AFAIK).
Many G-Sync monitors can single-strobe down to 40Hz or so. It's an undocumented function of the g-sync module and thus it's unknown whether a monitor supports it or not just by looking at the specs. You need to test yourself.

Another undocumented function of g-sync is strobing + g-sync at the same time. However, the results might not be very satisfactory.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

MICk42

Post by MICk42 » 01 May 2018, 15:00

Thanks a lot, guys! Meanwhile I browsed some more through the forums and found out by myself that some people report the cases you both mentioned - one of them even for the Dell monitor I intended to try, so I am probably going to, there might be a good chance it will work for me.
By the way, fantastic website, great forums, so much detailed and funded information! That must have been so much work! I am amazed and very grateful to all the people behind this!
It seemed like decades that I was convinced no one cared about the horrible blurring all LCDs do and I was the only one who minded. I felt like a douchbag sticking to my prehistoric 21" CRT monitor, which was very slowly decaying and dying of old age, and eagerly and endlessly waiting for those low persistency OLED displays, which never seemed to finally emerge. I was really excited to find the whole website dedicated mostly to this topic - and, moreover, to possibly find a viable replacement for my old CRT!
RealNC wrote: Another undocumented function of g-sync is strobing + g-sync at the same time. However, the results might not be very satisfactory.
Why not?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 May 2018, 15:22

MICk42 wrote:
RealNC wrote: Another undocumented function of g-sync is strobing + g-sync at the same time. However, the results might not be very satisfactory.
Why not?
Because of "blackouts" due to frame rate stalls.

MICk42

Post by MICk42 » 01 May 2018, 23:56

RealNC wrote:
MICk42 wrote:
Why not?
Because of "blackouts" due to frame rate stalls.
Hmm. So you would rather recommend leaving the G-sync off with just ULMB on, using the lowest refresh rate possible, and trying to V-sync the framerate to that refresh rate?
I'm quite sure my system would not manage to keep the framerate from falling under 100 fps in most games, which is currenty the lowest single-strobe refresh rate available for me (on my current monitor). Hopefully the ULMB on the Dell monitor will offer me better options.