LightBoost brightness

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
a2theziz

LightBoost brightness

Post by a2theziz » 08 Feb 2014, 14:45

Anyone else having an issue with adjusting the brightness?

It feels like I'm stuck on 10% LightBoost brightness, and adjusting the values yields to effect, ie there's no difference between 10% and 100% brightness.

I'm using the Benq XL2420TE

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LightBoost brightness

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 00:00

a2theziz wrote:Anyone else having an issue with adjusting the brightness?
It feels like I'm stuck on 10% LightBoost brightness, and adjusting the values yields to effect, ie there's no difference between 10% and 100% brightness.
I'm using the Benq XL2420TE
This would seem to be a defect!
Can you attempt to do the adjustments via the monitor's OSD instead of via Strobelight?
On BENQ on screen menus, you may have to scroll down to see the LightBoost adjustment.

Can you try the adjustment via the BENQ monitor, and see what happens?
Also do this, while viewing www.testufo.com/photo -- especially at 1440 pixels per second. You will see window frames become clearer/blurrier (1 pixel thick window frames versus 2 pixel thick window frames) as you adjust between LightBoost 10% through 100%.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

a2theziz

Post by a2theziz » 09 Feb 2014, 08:14

Didn't know there was an option to adjust the LightBoost using the OSD, but the adjustment bar was already full so I guess what I thought was 10% was actually 100%. So I guess the only way to adjust it is through the OSD as the program adjustment still doesn't work for me.

One question, is there that big of a difference between 100% lightboost and no lightboost, brightness-wise? 100% lightboost feels like 30% no-lightboost

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Feb 2014, 12:29

That is about right. LightBoost 100% brightness is roughly the same as non-LightBoost Brightness 30% on that model of monitor (give or take).

Obviously, the motion clarity would be vastly better with LightBoost during fast panning / strafing / turning at full framerate motion.

The loss of brightness with strobe backlights is normal in most monitors, except a few models that use much brighter than average strobing.

Motion clarity of LightBoost 10% versus 100% is marginal; however, some people value the extra motion clarity that this offers -- see www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/10vs50vs100 for a comparison between 10% vs 50% vs 100%.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!