VG248QE Lightboost Problems

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Xaven

VG248QE Lightboost Problems

Post by Xaven » 09 Feb 2014, 18:39

I just recently purchased a VG248QE and was attempting to use Toastys lightboost method for 2d. I have a GTX 770 by the way.

Anyways, once I install the refresh rates and put the exe in start up and restart, when I get back to desktop my my brightness is quite dark and everything has a reddish tint to it. If I access my OSD it will not let me change anything except the Lightboost brightness which is defaulted at 100% and the OSD brightness is at 100% as well however I cannot change it. It also says "3D-Mode" in the top right of the OSD.

Is this just how it has to look to have lightboost or is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for any help!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: VG248QE Lightboost Problems

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Feb 2014, 02:59

Xaven wrote:Is this just how it has to look to have lightboost or is there a fix for this? Thanks in advance for any help!
The purple tinting on the VG248QE can be adjusted somewhat by recalibration.

However, it's come to a point where there's now several options on the market with much better LightBoost / strobed quality (e.g. EIZO FG2421, or the ULMB of G-SYNC or G-SYNC upgrade, or several 27" models), if you don't mind paying extra. ASUS VG248QE is the most popular LightBoost monitor, since it is cheaper than the others. However, it is not the best quality when it comes to LightBoost.

(Check out List of 120Hz Monitors for other options)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Xaven

Post by Xaven » 10 Feb 2014, 07:53

Ah ok thanks for the advice. I purchased this monitor because I was lead to believe it was one of the only ones that was able to have the DIY G-Sync kit added to it. I am ordering my kit today, do you think that would help it sustain lightboost? Also is the 27 inch version of this monitor compatible with G-Sync kit?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Feb 2014, 11:01

Xaven wrote:Ah ok thanks for the advice. I purchased this monitor because I was lead to believe it was one of the only ones that was able to have the DIY G-Sync kit added to it. I am ordering my kit today, do you think that would help it sustain lightboost?
G-SYNC includes ULMB, which is the "sequel" to LightBoost 2D.
It will greatly improve the colors, although it will not improve brightness.
Xaven wrote:Also is the 27 inch version of this monitor compatible with G-Sync kit?
Not to my knowledge.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!