G-Sync + ULMB TOGETHER with ASUS PG279Q!!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
sheepdog16

G-Sync + ULMB TOGETHER with ASUS PG279Q!!

Post by sheepdog16 » 21 Apr 2017, 22:57

Here is the video I posted showing it work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGdRk_9cXE

Yep, like masterotaku and others on these forums, I was able to get G-Sync + ULMB working together! This time with my ASUS PG279Q IPS G-Sync Monitor! I believe to date, that is four confirmed monitors that are able to have this tweak done.

However, will explain near the end of this post why I do not recommend to use this combo for extended periods of time. The purpose that I found while doing it was to simply show, like others have, that it is possible to have both G-Sync + ULMB work in tandum.

BIG THANKS to RealNC on this forum for providing the steps (http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... &start=180). I did modify the steps a tad bit though.

Here is my computer rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @ 4.4 Ghz Core at 1.270V, and @4.1Ghz Cache/Ring at 1.270V
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 with USB 3.1
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti (with EVGA all-in-one AIO liquid cooler) with Driver 381.65
PSU: EVGA 1000w G3 80+ Gold Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Define S
System RAM: 4 x 16GB G.Skills Ripjaws V 2400Mhz CL15 (15-15-15-35) RAM
Storage: Samsung SM961 NVMe (utilizing the 1.4.7.16 Drivers)

*** Monitor: ASUS PG279Q 144Hz (165Hz oveclockable) G-Sync IPS Panel Monitor.
You can see the monitor name within the video when I open the OSD. ***

Here are the steps that I took to make G-Sync + ULMB work together with my ASUS PG279Q Monitor
(I will use 120Hz as an example throughout the steps. I believe you can do this trick with 85Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz).

(1) After having the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers installed, switch to a refresh rate in the NVIDIA Control Panel to any other than 120Hz (switch to 100Hz or 144hz).

(2) Then run CRU (Custom Resolution Utility). Find the entry for 2560x1440 @ 120Hz. If this is not listed under "Detailed Resolutions" near the top-middle of CRU, then you may need to look under "Extension blocks" (Bottem-Middle), and double click your extension blocks entry.
In my case, it said: CEA-861: 5 detailed resolutions, 3 data blocks

(3) Then another dialog box will show, with a list of resolutions and refresh rates. The one you want to see and double click on is: 2560x1440 @ 120Hz (in terms of the refresh rate, it may be something like 119.997Hz)

(4) After double clicking 2560x1440 @ 120Hz, another dialog box will appear. Then click on the bubble that is next to the word "Total:" (Left-Middle).

(5) Then add 5 to the number that is in the "Total" Row, and "Vertical" Column
In my case, the original number was 1525. So I simply replaced it with 1530

(6) Click "OK" on all of the dialog boxes that involve CRU until CRU closes.

(7) Restart the Computer

(8) Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and set your refresh rate to 120Hz

(9) In the monitor's OSD, enable ULMB

(10) In the NVIDIA Control Panel, enable G-Sync, then click "Apply" near the bottom right of the NVIDIA Control Panel.
In my case, when I enabled G-Sync, I checked the bubble "Enable G-Sync for windowed and full screen mode"

(11) In the "Manage 3D settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel, make sure that "Preferred refresh rate" setting is set to "Application-Controlled." Then click "Apply" near the bottom right of the NVIDIA Control Panel.

(12) If the monitor has it, enable the "FPS Counter" within the monitor's OSD. This is to easily see if your refresh rate is actually changing with respect to your FPS, as this counter is NOT AN Framerate Counter (despite the name), but rather, a refresh rate counter.
In my case, the yellow number that I circle a few times in the video is the "refresh rate" counter that I activated within my PG279Q's OSD.

(13) Once you start a game, make sure that it is set to 120Hz within the game. Easiest game to test this with is Overwatch since you can change both Resolution and Refresh Rate.

(14) You may have to switch between either "Fullscreen" or "Windowed"/"Borderless Windowed" mode within the game in order to properly activate both G-Sync + ULMB

Done, G-Sync + ULMB may (or may not) work.

While the video shows it working in Overwatch using "Borderless Windowed" mode, I was later on also able to make G-sync + ULMB work using "FullScreen" mode, but I am not entirely sure how I did that. Still working on how I did that.

Now, a side-effect is the massive amount of flickering that can happen as the frame rate changes. This is likely because with ULMB activated alone, the screen flashes really fast at different speeds at different fixed refresh rates in such a way to emulate a CRT display. Now, with G-Sync + ULMB together, and a varying refresh rate due to varying Framerates, the rate that which the screen flashes to emulate a CRT monitor dynamically changes.
As a result, headaches and/or eye strain is quite likely.

This is why in my video, I have my framerate capped in the Overwatch Settings to 116 FPS. Even then, there is still some flickering due to the ever slight changes in framerates that can happen, and I would not recommend doing long play sessions with this G-Sync + ULMB Combo due to flickering.

To reset everything, go to the extracted CRU folder, launch "reset-all.exe" then restart

jesuadr

Re: G-Sync + ULMB TOGETHER with ASUS PG279Q!!

Post by jesuadr » 23 Apr 2022, 01:25

Could anyone verify if this works?

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 23 Apr 2022, 19:52

I did it a long time ago on my PG279Q and yes it worked flawlessly. If you could get a perfect lock on a specific framerate between 60hz and whatever upper limit was, then you were fine. But variable framerates caused a lot of flickering and even with a fixed fps lock, any stutters would cause a ton of unbearable flickering.

Balloba

Post by Balloba » 03 Oct 2022, 05:18

I'm trying this but i'm always stuck at step 9. ULMB is not selectable with the new 120hz resolution. Are you sure they didn't patch this with some nvidia driver update?