Noise on dark colours with light boost enabled?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
lost4468

Noise on dark colours with light boost enabled?

Post by lost4468 » 17 Feb 2014, 09:33

I'm running a BenQ XL2420T with a gtx 680 with lightboost on.

When it's on, on this (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php) colour calibration website I get noise on the leftmost blocks of colour (particularly the yellow and white row). The noise doesn't change over time and is very dark but it's still noticeable. Here's an attempted simulated view (because my phone camera is shit).

It's not actually as bad as the picture I made is.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Noise on dark colours with light boost enabled?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2014, 12:19

I assume you only see it when you look really closely, and not when you're a bit over an arm's length away from the screen?

This may be an interaction between LightBoost and 6-bit FRC. It's lesser on some monitors, and more on others. I see it on some LightBoost monitors (but only very barely -- not as bad as that photo) Eizo FG2421 (using Turbo240, the Eizo version of LightBoost) does not have this artifact, and I would also hope that the upcoming ASUS ROG PG278Q (superior 8-bit TN LCD) would not have this artifact.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!