Lightboost problems? ASUS VG248QE

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
CrazyEyes

Lightboost problems? ASUS VG248QE

Post by CrazyEyes » 21 Feb 2014, 23:37

I'm a total noob when it comes to lightboost and other strobing features so bear with me. My display options say my monitor is running 120hz as I installed 120hz strobed. But When I go to Testufo it only registers 60hz on a 120hz browser (chrome). Ingame (csgo) I notice visual tearing when strafing next to surfaces idk if this has to do with the fact that my graphic options ingame are as low as possible with little to no anti aliasing.

660ti graphics card if thats relevant
Last edited by CrazyEyes on 21 Feb 2014, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyEyes

Re: Lightboost problems? ASUS VG248QE

Post by CrazyEyes » 21 Feb 2014, 23:38

Also I just installed the basic strobelight.exe didnt change any resolutions with the program in various how to's, and I'm not doing any 3d emitting. Any insight on lightboost is greatly appreciated. I couldnt find anything on uninstalling lightboost completely as im sure its not as easy as deleting the .exe

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Feb 2014, 23:44

Hello!

TestUFO doesn't always accurately detect the refresh rate, so let's verify http://www.testufo.com/browser.html

-- Windows, Mac, or iOS. Unfortunately most Linux/Android browsers do not use VSYNC yet.
-- Supported browser. Run directly. VMWARE and Parallels will not reliably support VSYNC.
-- GPU acceleration enabled in browser. For Chrome, everything enabled in chrome://gpu
-- If using a laptop, use "Performance Mode" for faster performance. Close other apps/tabs.
-- Single-monitor is usually more reliable. Temporarily disable multi-monitor if needed.
-- For Microsoft Windows 7 (or Vista), keep Aero enabled for better VSYNC performance.

The most common culprit in affecting TestUFO is "Classic Mode" of Windows 7, that is incompatible with TestUFO. Re-enable the fancy mode (Aero) in order to get 120Hz TestUFO capability back. Testing a different web browser (e.g. Opera vs Chrome vs FireFox) can also help, too. In my experience, Chrome has been the most reliable, however, Opera is nearly equally so, and FireFox is the next one after.

If this all fails, let me know!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

CrazyEyes

Post by CrazyEyes » 21 Feb 2014, 23:48

You are correct sir. Running classic mode glitched testufo. Is there anything I can do to enhance lightboost considering I have a 3d monitor? I dont have a 3d emitter or glasses? I think a 3d emitter is aftermarket hardware that doesnt come with the monitor? will the more complicated install of lightboost with 3d emitting reduce input lag even more?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2014, 00:16

CrazyEyes wrote:You are correct sir. Running classic mode glitched testufo. Is there anything I can do to enhance lightboost considering I have a 3d monitor? I dont have a 3d emitter or glasses? I think a 3d emitter is aftermarket hardware that doesnt come with the monitor? will the more complicated install of lightboost with 3d emitting reduce input lag even more?
Actually, using stereoscopic 3D has more lag. LightBoost was made for improving stereoscopic 3D orginally (see FAQ -- www.blurbusters.com/lightboost/faq ...) but has become more popular for 2D motion blur reduction.

ToastyX is the lowest-lag method of LightBoost, so you're all set to go if you're not interested in stereoscopic 3D.

If you want both 2D and 3D, you can also use the emitter for LightBoost 3D and ToastyX Strobelight for LightBoost 2D -- there are some tricky changes that are needed in order to make it successfully work, but at least some people are using such setups.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gragento

Post by gragento » 25 Feb 2014, 10:09

One question:
I have this monitor, i play only world of tanks (online game) 144mhz TF100.
If i turn on ligthboost i will have a better latency (response time) or only better image?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2014, 13:27

gragento wrote:One question:
I have this monitor, i play only world of tanks (online game) 144mhz TF100.
If i turn on ligthboost i will have a better latency (response time) or only better image?
Not in the way you're thinking
-- LightBoost darkens the image and worsens color quality.
-- LightBoost adds a slight amount of input lag.

However, LightBoost improves motion clarity, helping to improve your reaction time during very fast action games. Strafing, turning, panning. A good example is Scout versus Scout in Team Fortress 2. See Photos: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost. This can give you an advantage when motion blur is affecting your gameplay.

I don't think Tanks benefit much from LightBoost, however Tanks will benefit from just getting 120Hz, making everything smoother.

gragento

Post by gragento » 25 Feb 2014, 14:21

ok, tks very much.
For example: if i use this ligthboost method: Alternate Instructions (Advanced EDID Override Method)
How can i go back to the default settings?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2014, 15:16

gragento wrote:ok, tks very much.
For example: if i use this ligthboost method: Alternate Instructions (Advanced EDID Override Method)
How can i go back to the default settings?
Most people use the Strobelight method because it's easy to turn ON/OFF LightBoost via a keypress.
It's much easier to uninstall.

If there's a big reason you can't use Strobelight, or even simply use the "lightboost.bin" method of ToastyX the EDID override method is harder to uninstall, but worse comes to worse, you simply unplug your monitor for 5 seconds to get LightBoost disabled if it's stuck on.