Acer XZ271

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
deadheaddraven

Acer XZ271

Post by deadheaddraven » 27 Jul 2017, 04:14

Hey Guys
I have a problem with my Acer XZ271 144hz Monitor

I'm getting a kind of Ghosting effect but only on dark spots and only when I pan the camera
It's like anything that a really dark or black flickers/smudges if I pan the camera but is fine if I am stood still
Also, it's not on everything, If I play Overwatch everything is fine but if I play Dark Souls 1 it's really bad, If I turn black boost down the blur goes away but then I get a lot of background stuttering when panning the camera, same if I turn over drive off (turn overdrive to extreme makes the blur/flickering really really bad)

also, almost anything played on my PS4 (Via HDMI) does this too (but the ps4 is fine if it's on my TV) I also noticed that if I play my PS4 via the remote app it doesn't have this problem but is only in 720p so kinda crappy quality
Does anyone have any idea at all what the hell is going on, I'm finding it very hard to work out what the problem is let alone solve it (I've tried every setting I can and nothing seems to work)

(if it matters my rig is an Intel Core I7 7700 with a GTX 970 4GB)
Any ideas are very much appreciated 

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Acer XZ271

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2017, 12:11

The Acer XZ271 is a monitor sold chiefly overseas (not on US Amazon), so I am not familiar with that model.

However....

VA panels have extreme difficulties with dark color pixel transitions. What you are often seeing with this is quite normal in ghosting.

However, I'm not familiar with the stuttering -- it could simply be that the sharper motion is making stuttering easier to see. But you might want to check www.testufo.com/frameskipping to figure out if your monitor is frame-skipping. Also, make sure you're using a high-Hz mouse (1000Hz gaming mouse) since that helps reduce microstutters during high refresh rates (144Hz, 240Hz).

Failing that, and if motion clarity with less ghosting, is more important than good colors and viewing angles -- then you may want to consider a TN-panel monitor. Check our Official List of Best Gaming Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!