What monitor for ~$500? Main priority is CSGO

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: What monitor for ~$500? Main priority is CSGO

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Oct 2017, 12:14

I haven't heard any issues with the Alienwares, though the FreeSync version of the Dell historically had worse overdrive during FreeSync than the G-SYNC version. (It's also a testament to how well NVIDIA calibrates G-SYNC their variable refresh rate overdrive). But it's no worse than VRR during the other FreeSync monitors. You're probably mainly interested in fixed-Hz 240Hz so this wouldn't affect you. There is no blur-reduction mode on the 240Hz FreeSync monitor, but there is ULMB on the 240Hz G-SYNC version.

The 240Hz Dell Alienwares are now listed in the Official List of Best Gaming Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fliperpl

Post by fliperpl » 17 Oct 2017, 11:15

this allienware stolen my heart
i just bought it with freesync, should be tommorrow in my hands :)

dont need g-sync to be fair i will be playing mostly CSGO and time to time path of exile

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Oct 2017, 20:11

Great, let me know how your new Dell Alienware AW2518Hf monitor performs!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 18 Oct 2017, 07:32

dont need g-sync to be fair i will be playing mostly CSGO and time to time path of exile
I'm curious why you say this? What do you think FreeSync/G-Sync do? Why is it a bad choice for CS:GO and Path of Exile?

I'm generally curious because almost no one thinks FreeSync/G-Sync is good for CS:GO and i'm wondering why that is.

fliperpl

Post by fliperpl » 18 Oct 2017, 08:57

u dont want to have any of modules that higher your input lag.
U want to have fastest screen that is possible
also i didnt have additional $100 for that

mello

Post by mello » 18 Oct 2017, 09:11

fliperpl wrote:u dont want to have any of modules that higher your input lag.
U want to have fastest screen that is possible
And this the biggest misconception going around for a very long time. The increased input lag because of blur reduction, gsync or freesync will not be noticeable to anyone, not even for a professional gamers, no matter who they are. And this increased input lag (which is very minmal) is completely irrelevant to 99% of the human population... it only matters on LAN when best players are playing against other best players, and in this scenario every advantage you can get is worth it, even if you can't really feel it.

But of course, playing with uncapped FPS (300, 500 or more) is always better for input lag, then being limited to 120 FPS (BR) or 240 FPS (GSYNC). So in these instances input lag difference will be higher, just because of higher vs lower FPS.
fliperpl wrote:also i didnt have additional $100 for that
From what i understand it is still worth buying GSYNC monitor even if you don't want to use GSYNC...
The advantage is that NVIDIA is providing much better calibration for GSYNC monitors, which means better overdrive and motion clarity.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Oct 2017, 14:03

fliperpl wrote:u dont want to have any of modules that higher your input lag.
Not necessarily....

You can also use VSYNC OFF on GSYNC monitors -- and the GSYNC module (With GSYNC disabled) actually has less VSYNC OFF input lag than many monitors. Many sites have shown pretty good latency results.

I certainly understand it's an extra cost not everyone wants; just wanted to clarify you do have the option of VSYNC OFF on GSYNC monitors too, and VSYNC OFF mode on GSYNC monitors are already pretty good. Not everyone wants the extra features (e.g. GSYNC, ULMB) if you only play certain games/gameplay tactics that works best with VSYNC OFF.

The existence of GSYNC module simply adds extra options like GSYNC and ULMB, without removing your option of using VSYNC OFF when you need to. Also, GSYNC monitors often have better overdrive in non-GSYNC mode than many monitors witout GSYNC too, so that's also a potential buying consideration, too.

ULMB is useful competitively sometimes too, for certain games: For example, see HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively, especially the animation. ULMB doesn't help crosshairs fixed-gaze (common in eSports) but it helps track-the-moving-target (e.g. balls, flying objects, fast scrolling) improving human reaction time lag far beyond the ULMB lag, improving scores despite the higher lag. It's often the "Right Tool For The Right Job".

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 19 Oct 2017, 04:44

Yea, "It has lag" was what i was expecting.

This misconception will never be fixed unless they do some serious rebranding or just mass advertising like forcing competitive lan matches to have G-Sync enabled with fps caps haha.

I will just internalize my anger every time someone says G-Sync is shit for cs:go lul

mello

Post by mello » 19 Oct 2017, 06:03

lexlazootin wrote:Yea, "It has lag" was what i was expecting.
Yeah, but people are not aware that this additional lag is literally nothing compared to:

- lag variation when using different refresh rates (60Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz) as shown on these tests, basically the higher the refresh rate the less lag variance there is. It is not as simple as having exactly the same input lag at all times, as most people might believe in. I think it will be a non issue at 480Hz and at 1000Hz, but it will be at least a few more years before we start getting 480Hz monitors.

- lag variation caused by your internet connection, because network performence is constantly changing based on many variables. For example, on not so good connection you might experience lag/packet loss at different hours during the day (peek hours when most ppl are using internet), but even good/great connections might be affected to a certain degree, you might notice it in your hit registration, sometimes it might feel great, and other times you will see and feel that soemthing is off and you are not getting hits when you should be.

These two things create far more lag and performance issues, than blur reduction or gsync ever will.
lexlazootin wrote: This misconception will never be fixed unless they do some serious rebranding or just mass advertising like forcing competitive lan matches to have G-Sync enabled with fps caps haha.
I think that all of it will go away when we will start getting monitors with very high refresh rates (480Hz/1000Hz) and when frame rate amplification technologies will arrive in all GPU's.
lexlazootin wrote: I will just internalize my anger every time someone says G-Sync is shit for cs:go lul
There are still A LOT of people that are playing CS:GO on older PC's, so if they can't hit 500FPS or more and are in a 100-200range (sometimes even less!) then blur reduction and gsync are perfectly viable option for them.

fliperpl

Post by fliperpl » 19 Oct 2017, 08:47

my dell is here

damn, 240hz feels so sick compare to my last 144hz LG 34"

build quality is fine, but back of the monitor looks plastic-fantastic. by accident i touch back with my screwdriver and it made a little scratch...

leg of monitor is sick, heavy and stable as hell

its so smooth without any blur, screen is bright, clear and its eye-care friendly (using 30% brightness and 75% contrast with comfortview mode and i see everything fine in games)
in csgo when frame drops lower than 240 its not even catchable, i dont feel any difference in gameplay
monitor works fine with 240hz via HDMI
there is no BLB, white is white - black is black
view angles are bad - when u are looking little higher,lower,to the left/right then your screen is going yellowish - but its TN so..

definitely worth buying for fps gamers.