What monitor for ~$500? Main priority is CSGO

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: What monitor for ~$500? Main priority is CSGO

Post by RealNC » 24 Oct 2017, 05:57

Try a 240FPS cap (fps_max 240).
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Oct 2017, 11:20

Capping versus uncapping has their pros and cons that are often system-specific (CPU bound versus GPU bound) and how much frame rate margin you have, and whether you're using VSYNC OFF or GSYNC.

VSYNC OFF has no sudden-lag-changes when crossing the max-Hz threshold (and see Are There Advantages to Frame Rates Higher Than the Refresh Rate?), while GSYNC can have a sudden lag change when slamming against the Hz limit unless you cap it just below (e.g. 235fps), so the decision to cap is less important during VSYNC OFF than it is for GSYNC.

Once done, 240Hz GSYNC feels essentially lagless, and unlike lower-Hz VRR (144Hz or less), multiple reports by competitive players are saying properly-configured 240Hz VRR feels far closer to VSYNC OFF than any past "non-VSYNC-OFF" technology, so some competitive gamers use it now, especially for things like PUBG which benefits more from VRR (framerates fluctuate below max Hz) than CS:GO does (framerates hit against 240Hz more often).

For VSYNC OFF on newer systems with fast GPUs, uncapping consistently provides the better experience.

Fluctuating input lag of fluctuating frame rates (input lag of lower frame rates) is less of an issue during 200-400fps fluctuations than during 30fps-60fps or even 100fps-200fps fluctuations. Capping can keep this in check, but at consistent triple-digit lag, absolute lag overcomes the now-much-smaller fluctuating input lag. High framerates + high Hz = much more consistently low input lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gimmejokers

Post by gimmejokers » 25 Oct 2017, 20:51

thanks for your input guys.
I tried 240FPS capped, it still has the occasional mini hick up, you can call it micro stutters.
Uncapping it again does feel way better though. Right now I'm trying out setting high priority for CSGO.exe in the task manager
Once again, as long as it runs without the microstutter the feeling is absolutely godlike ;) so i want to fix this badly

I run a fresh installed Win10, all drivers up to date, i set it up all for gaming with minimal amount of backround processes
So it really does look like i'm just having a weired hick up somewhere in the system

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Oct 2017, 21:21

Well it's very hard to say without personally seeing it but that could just be normal hickups due to the random-ness of frame timings and refresh timings causing a 'skip' every now and then.

You can always try playing at a lower game settings and resolution, i like to create a custom resolution in NVCP at 1440x1080 so you can play using your full vertical resolution at 4:3 aspect ratio.

But the ultimate way of removing micro stutters and tearing is with variable refresh monitor. G-Sync or FreeSync can have no add latency and feel great to play on.

fliperpl

Post by fliperpl » 15 Nov 2017, 08:20

guys should i use overdrive on my dell? What are benefits with that?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Nov 2017, 14:55

gimmejokers wrote:thanks for your input guys.
I tried 240FPS capped, it still has the occasional mini hick up, you can call it micro stutters.
For CS:GO specifically, the game usually performs better uncapped.
There is still a minor input lag fluctuation from varying-framerate, but 200fps-vs-330fps is only ~5ms versus ~3ms

Capped (at ~235-238) is recommended if you enable GSYNC without VSYNC OFF. The input lag change of framerates suddenly increasing all the way to the maximum refresh rate often adds a big sudden increase (>10ms), so that's why capping framerates below the Hz is the lesser of evil when it comes to VRR tech such as GSYNC or FreeSync. ==This does not apply to VSYNC OFF, so capping is not as important for VSYNC OFF unless you have a specific different reason (e.g. fluidity issue, etc).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!