Monitor Suggestion? Overwatch Specifically

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
NoMaD.oW

Monitor Suggestion? Overwatch Specifically

Post by NoMaD.oW » 20 Nov 2017, 22:46

Hi,

So as of late one thing that annoys me thoroughly about my LG Gaming monitor is the ghosting.
I've tried multiple things to make it go away but it's just extremely present and it's just tilting me to a point where I'm getting sick and tired of it. This got noticeably worse the moment I increased my sensitivity to a higher cm/360.

I could really use some advice.
ofcourse money isn't a super big issue, but I'd still like to keep my budget as low as possible without paying a premium for just the brand itself while they add absolutely nothing.

Significantly reduced/removed blurring/ghosting is a huge must.

Now, I've already been looking at replacement models.
So far I've just seen the BenQ ones, specifically the;
XL2435, XL2546 , XL2540 , XL2735

I run a 1070GTX with a i7-6700k
Run my game on the lowest possible settings at all times as well.

Only reason I consider the XL2735 is the 27inch (making stuff bigger and better to see, compared to the 24inch) and the 1440p addition for when I ever decide to play something other than a shooter.

I've also considered G-sync, but I'm still unsure whether or not the additional premium price is worth it since I do play a lot of destiny 2 and I'm getting sub par framerate under <144hz regardless of settings.

I have read through the post aboutfinding a monitor for his primary game (CS GO)
But me being somewhat simple when it comes to all the monitor talk I can't really make much sense of it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor Suggestion? Overwatch Specifically

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Nov 2017, 23:16

NoMaD.oW wrote:I've also considered G-sync, but I'm still unsure whether or not the additional premium price is worth it since I do play a lot of destiny 2 and I'm getting sub par framerate under <144hz regardless of settings.
To evaluate whether not the G-SYNC cost premium is worth it or not:
-- G-SYNC monitors makes low framerates look much better -- e.g. 40fps and 50fps looks a lot less stuttery with G-SYNC.
-- G-SYNC monitors also have ULMB, which is a motion blur reduction mode. It only has a few fixed refresh rates e.g. 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, (and 144Hz ULMB on 240Hz monitors -- but they are quite high quality and pre-adjusted for low strobe crosstalk.
-- Most G-SYNC monitors also generally have less ghosting than the average monitor, even in non-G-SYNC mode. This is because these monitors have gotten the "NVIDIA overdrive calibration" treatment.
NoMaD.oW wrote:I have read through the post aboutfinding a monitor for his primary game (CS GO)
But me being somewhat simple when it comes to all the monitor talk I can't really make much sense of it.
The "Better Than 60Hz" can be quite confusing.
However, we try to simplify it as much as possible!

If your maximum priority is significantly reduced/removed blurring/ghosting -- you may be extremely interested in motion blur reduction mode (strobe backlight modes) such as ULMB or DyAc. However, ULMB pretty much demands very high consistent framerates if you're very sensitive to stutter.

On G-SYNC monitors you have both the option to use G-SYNC (to make low framerates look better) or ULMB (to reduce motion blur of high frame rates).

On the other hand, most BenQ/Zowie monitors can strobe at any refresh rate (literally in 1Hz increments all the way to the max refresh rate). But all of the Blur Reduction methods use the same technique (strobe backlight) to reduce motion blur.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NoMaD.oW

Post by NoMaD.oW » 20 Nov 2017, 23:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
NoMaD.oW wrote:I've also considered G-sync, but I'm still unsure whether or not the additional premium price is worth it since I do play a lot of destiny 2 and I'm getting sub par framerate under <144hz regardless of settings.
To evaluate whether not the G-SYNC cost premium is worth it or not:
-- G-SYNC monitors makes low framerates look much better -- e.g. 40fps and 50fps looks a lot less stuttery with G-SYNC.
-- G-SYNC monitors also have ULMB, which is a motion blur reduction mode. It only has a few fixed refresh rates e.g. 85Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, (and 144Hz ULMB on 240Hz monitors -- but they are quite high quality and pre-adjusted for low strobe crosstalk.
-- Most G-SYNC monitors also generally have less ghosting than the average monitor, even in non-G-SYNC mode. This is because these monitors have gotten the "NVIDIA overdrive calibration" treatment.
NoMaD.oW wrote:I have read through the post aboutfinding a monitor for his primary game (CS GO)
The "Better Than 60Hz" can be quite confusing.
However, we try to simplify it as much as possible!

If your maximum priority is significantly reduced/removed blurring/ghosting -- you may be extremely interested in motion blur reduction mode (strobe backlight modes) such as ULMB or DyAc. However, ULMB pretty much demands very high consistent framerates if you're very sensitive to stutter.

On G-SYNC monitors you have both the option to use G-SYNC (to make low framerates look better) or ULMB (to reduce motion blur of high frame rates).

On the other hand, most BenQ/Zowie monitors can strobe at any refresh rate (literally in 1Hz increments all the way to the max refresh rate). But all of the Blur Reduction methods use the same technique (strobe backlight) to reduce motion blur.
In general is Dyac just marketing and would I actually get the same out of a ULMB/Gsync monitor?
To me after reading this, it would seem like the better option to look for a ULMB/Gsync monitor.

But, if Dyac would reduce the ghosting to such an extend that it's better than your average ULMB I still lean towards that.

(Just trying to figure out if this is true, I mostly play with a Tracking aim style in games. With some exceptions towards Flickshotting. So to me just getting the least amount of ghosting is possibly THE most important part of the monitor.)

Also just realized that this might be the wrong section to post, even though it's like 50-50 because I'm trying to work out what the best possible blur reduction is for my specific need.

Edit;

So after looking at it for example;
AOC AGON AG251FG http://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/ag251fg

had ULMB and Gsync, is 244hz .

Does that mean ULMB + 120hz or ULMB + 144hz ?

And the BenQ variant can go as far as it wants without artifacts?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Nov 2017, 05:25

You should probably also specify whether you want to enjoy games, or don't care about enjoyment and only worry about esports. If the former, I'd stay away from 240Hz monitors. If the latter, then yeah, go for it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

NoMaD.oW

Post by NoMaD.oW » 21 Nov 2017, 05:40

RealNC wrote:You should probably also specify whether you want to enjoy games, or don't care about enjoyment and only worry about esports. If the former, I'd stay away from 240Hz monitors. If the latter, then yeah, go for it.
My enjoyment definitely comes from the e-sport part.
I don't mind playing a game here and there for the fun of it, but yeah most of it is just about competing.