Alienware AW2518H

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Alienware AW2518H

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2018, 14:05

We don''t currently have the AW2518H, but:

From my experience, all the 240Hz G-SYNC monitors tend to resemble the left image at the left.

P.S. Currently, we are inventing new methods of monitor testing (taking longer than expected...) which we'll announce in due time. Several reviewers use various methods of tests that we've invented (including, of course, TFTCentral). We have additional new monitor testing methods coming soon that have not yet been released. Keep tuned throughout 2018!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 17 Feb 2018, 15:19

Thank you for the fast answer!
I take it the nVidia scaler has the potential to produce as sharp an image at 240hz non-strobed as the ASUS model has... but I assume that also depends on how the manufacturer implements it...

Anyhow, I ordered the AW2518Hf (the "f" at the end meaning, that it is the freesync model, as opposed to the regular g-sync one...this was cheaper), so even if I won't be able to confirm, whether the G-sync model is closer to the ASUS or the AOC, I will still be able to tell you guys how the freesync one fares...

I'm a little bit worried tbh after seeing how the AOC monitor performs, and knowing that just like it, the monitor I've ordered is also a freesync model... meaning that it doesn't have the nVidia scaler, and for better or worse, it could differ from g-sync 240hz monitors, in terms of motion blur...
I'd also very much like to see how the benq 240hz monitors look @240hz non-strobed... do u have experience with those?
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Feb 2018, 20:48

I'd love to hear your comments on the AW2518Hf.

Just one clarification:
It's actually the overdrive algorithm, not the scaler, that affects the clarity of TestUFO ghosting tests. A well-balanced overdrive algorithm makes a huge different on high-Hz monitors, to make motion clearer. Due to this, AOC G-SYNC monitor had clearer motion than the other AOC monitor. NVIDIA generally does a good job in calibrating their overdrive (even for non-GSYNC-modes).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2018, 01:39

Thanks for the info! I've learned something new.
Though that leaves me with even more doubts about the freesync model's non-strobed motion clarity...

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2018, 05:27

Sorry to ask again, but do you know how do the benq 240hz (2540, 2546, 2740) monitors compare to the Asus PG258Q?

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 19 Feb 2018, 07:31

Not in your list, but very good 27" 240hz one is LG 27GK750F.
Almost perfect overdrive even at max, barely to no overshoot visible (pics - 240 nonstrobed).

Image Image

[EDIT: Comment added by Chief Blur Buster: NOW, that's very good! This is as good as rail-less pursuit photography gets -- good accuracy from a hand-waved smartphone camera -- the ladder sync track is correctly photographed! Not very easy to do without a camera rail, but not impossible. Congratulations for good rail-less pursuit camera photography from a forum reader]

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 19 Feb 2018, 08:01

Wow! Thanks man!
This looks just as good as the ASUS, and it's a 27 inch monitor!
Actually, I was looking for a 27 inch one from the get go.

Now that I know how good it is, when it comes to motion blur @240hz non strobed, I'm curious to know more details about it, like how good the colors are and how much input lag does it have, compared to other 144/240hz monitors.

Do you own this monitor?

k2viper

Post by k2viper » 19 Feb 2018, 08:52

A Solid lad wrote:Do you own this monitor?
Yes, there is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3823
No downsides so far, its very responsive, bright, fine colors, build quality - nothing to complain about. Strobed 240hz looks acceptable, not ideal but still ok. Nonstrobed 240 is pretty fine too (pics above).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2018, 18:04

Looks about right (and good pursuit photography, too!) --
A good 240Hz monitor will have one-quarter the motion blur of 60Hz, when running at full framae rates.

There are often specifics/nuances (e.g. asymmetric blur artifacts such as ghosting and coronas -- LCD Motion Artifacts) but in general, the motion blur of 240Hz TN is quite noticeably lower than 60Hz and even 144Hz.

Based on that photograph (near-perfect ladder-track capture shows you did a unusually accurate hand-waved smartphone in railless pursuit camera for WYSIWYG motion blur photography), I have to say LG has done an excellent job at 240Hz overdrive. The motion blur looks very symmetric on the light and dark backgrounds, without obvious ghosting or coronas. Very balanced for 240Hz.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 19 Feb 2018, 19:00

k2viper wrote:
A Solid lad wrote:Do you own this monitor?
Yes, there is my thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3823
No downsides so far, its very responsive, bright, fine colors, build quality - nothing to complain about. Strobed 240hz looks acceptable, not ideal but still ok. Nonstrobed 240 is pretty fine too (pics above).
Thanks again for the pictures!
This monitor seems really promising.
The only thing I dislike about it is it's looks... I know that it shouldn't be a concern for a competitive, utilitarian person (like I usually am), but when I'm spending this much money on something... you start to care about such details as well :D

btw I've read that thread before, just forgot that OP was you, and that the monitor in question was the same one. :'D