Cheapest GPU to enable LB on the ASUS VG248QE?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ikjadoon

Cheapest GPU to enable LB on the ASUS VG248QE?

Post by ikjadoon » 12 Dec 2017, 19:47

The FAQ here says
LightBoost is an nVidia technology, so nVidia GPU’s are recommended.
IIRC, the VG248QE only will do Lightboost via DisplayPort, so I do need a GPU with Displayport. A GT 1030, maybe? It's $70 new, which is a a fair bit just for Lightboost, but I'll do what I need to do! It doesn't support G-SYNC, but it should be fine for the LB Hack, right?

Of course, not for any games or anything intensive at high refresh rates.I just like having Lightboost in the Windows UI.

daggertx

Re: Cheapest GPU to enable LB on the ASUS VG248QE?

Post by daggertx » 12 Dec 2017, 19:48

GTX 750ti should work, but not sure how well it will run at 1080p. Probably ok if you turn down settings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2017, 19:48

Unofficially, for the VG248QE specifically, ToastyX Strobelight will also work on AMD cards too. This is because ToastyX found a way to crack LightBoost's DRM for a few models of monitors (and VG248QE is one of them). There's an unlocking step (initialization) and an activation step (timings). So I've seen sub-$50 cards work with Strobelight, as long as it has the ability to transmit a DDC/CI signal to the monitor.

I believe, it may also even include Intel GPUs built into your motherboard but I can't remember if that worked. Either way, you can also borrow a PC with AMD/NVIDIA and initialize the monitor, and then swap back to our existing computer..... LightBoost stays unlocked and enableable (if using the ToastyX timings) on any 1080p120Hz-capable GPU until the monitor's unplugged from power.

NOTE: For new readers, if buying a new monitor today, I now recommend ULMB, DyAc, ELMB, or other modern strobe-backlight technology that is much more easily enabled via monitor on-screen menus rather than hacks. Check the monitor lists below.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ikjadoon

Post by ikjadoon » 16 Dec 2017, 15:23

Thank you for the reply, all.

I didn't know how ToastyX's Strobelight worked--he had to crack their DRM? Gosh, what a trooper.

I can be another confirmation for you: I bought a $50 Zotac GT 710 2GB, ran a dual-link DVI cable, and I am living the life of Lightboost! It worked flawlessly. It's a single-slot, low-profile card, too, so if any mini-ITX users wanted the Lightboost life, it's more than possible. No gaming benches on this work machine, but it runs Windows, Firefox, Word, etc. at 120Hz strobed without a hitch.

The iGPU: no way, that's amazing. I wonder if the iGPU can handle 120Hz well enough. I like the reliability of having a NVIDIA GPU always in the system (as I do move the system around often enough, the primary motivator for going to mini-ITX), but I know others kind of "stay put" with their mini-ITX systems, so an iGPU Lightboost setup would be handy. Thank you for the info.

And yes! I just happened to repurpose the VG248QE for work, but a newer monitor would be better sans all these hacks, if you didn't have one. A good point to mention.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Dec 2017, 19:15

Great to hear!

iGPU's have no problems at least doing Windows at 120Hz. It's whether ToastyX can force LightBoost via an iGPU. Most newer iGPU's capable of 4K60 are capable of 1440p120 and 1080p240 -- at least with with an unlocked Custom Resolution Utility such as ToastyX's version. It's the dotclock -- number of pixels per second -- that's the bottleneck -- so quarter-resolution can do quadruple-Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!