Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
A Solid lad

Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2018, 06:07

As the title states, I'd be curious to know, what's the input lag difference (if any) between these technologies...

Also, as a side question, does DyAc differ from classic Benq blur reduction in any other area than maximum brightness?
Discord | Youtube | Twitch
Steam with a list of monitors & mice I've used/use.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2018, 15:15

A Solid lad wrote:As the title states, I'd be curious to know, what's the input lag difference (if any) between these technologies...
In general, the average input lag penalty of strobing is one-half refresh cycle.

There are minor differences, but will need to be tested much more closely.

That said, it can vary a bit based on strobe phase -- e.g. "Strobe Area" on BenQ/Zowie monitors. Moving the crosstalk zone upwards from the bottom of the screen, will slightly reduce the input lag of screen centre (crosshairs area).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2018, 16:52

Thank you for the answer!

From the wording in your other post (HOWTO: Using ULMB Beautifully or Competitively)
I deducted, that DyAc has an edge over the other technologies mentioned.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Some monitors, like the BenQ XL2546, have strobing (DyAc) on by default, since they've reduced strobe lag to extremely low levels.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2018, 19:09

Yes, currently, monitors that support 240Hz strobing has the lowest strobe lag.

The new LG 27GK750F 240Hz also supports what looks like usable-quality strobing at 240Hz too:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3823

A head-to-head between the LG 27GK750F and the Zowie XL2546 would be needed to figure out which has lower strobe lag, though!

One consideration is that the higher the Hz you try to strobe at, the more difficult it is to fully fix crosstalk. But reports on the the two monitors indicate quite usable (and bright) strobed image quality.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 18 Feb 2018, 19:40

hmm!
This seems really interesting for me, as my ideal monitor would be a 27 inch 1080p 240hz one, which does strobing even at 240hz, with minimal amout of crosstalk, and also has relatively decent colors... maybe this LG could be it.

...Or maybe I'll have to wait for BenQ to release a DyAc enabled version of the XL2740, and pay a ton of money for it...since BenQ tax is now a thing.
First things first, I'll have to wait until more 240hz monitors get tested by sites like tftcentral...

Techno Viking

Post by Techno Viking » 25 Feb 2018, 07:59

A Solid lad wrote:hmm!
This seems really interesting for me, as my ideal monitor would be a 27 inch 1080p 240hz one, which does strobing even at 240hz, with minimal amout of crosstalk, and also has relatively decent colors... maybe this LG could be it.

...Or maybe I'll have to wait for BenQ to release a DyAc enabled version of the XL2740, and pay a ton of money for it...since BenQ tax is now a thing.
First things first, I'll have to wait until more 240hz monitors get tested by sites like tftcentral...
I am in exactly the same boat.
I want a 27inch screen, 240 hz, with strobe but i'm just not sure which strobefunction is better.

Yes i realize that they work the same in principle and that benq's strobe is not some magic sh*t, but i also know that strobing on some monitors can be a real pain in the ass .

I don't even care about 0.5 ms of input lag difference, i just want to know which of the two (DYAC vs LG's new monitor ULMB) gives the best end-result in terms of stutter-free crispyness.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 25 Feb 2018, 11:19

Techno Viking wrote:
A Solid lad wrote:hmm!

I am in exactly the same boat.
I want a 27inch screen, 240 hz, with strobe but i'm just not sure which strobefunction is better.

Yes i realize that they work the same in principle and that benq's strobe is not some magic sh*t, but i also know that strobing on some monitors can be a real pain in the ass .

I don't even care about 0.5 ms of input lag difference, i just want to know which of the two (DYAC vs LG's new monitor ULMB) gives the best end-result in terms of stutter-free crispyness.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3823&start=10

Techno Viking

Post by Techno Viking » 25 Feb 2018, 13:14

Yep, i've read that.

It doesn't say how LG's ulmb compares to Benq's DyAc though.

It would help if anyone would actually know how DyAc differs from other ULMB configs.

A Solid lad

Post by A Solid lad » 25 Feb 2018, 13:47

Techno Viking wrote:Yep, i've read that.

It doesn't say how LG's ulmb compares to Benq's DyAc though.

It would help if anyone would actually know how DyAc differs from other ULMB configs.
I'm curious about that one as well.
Nobody has bothered to even compare classic benq blur reduction to DyAc... I don't want to believe, that maximum brightness is the only difference.

Techno Viking

Post by Techno Viking » 25 Feb 2018, 14:12

Exactly . However, the fact that BenQ is so secretive about it, leads me to believe that DyAc may be just that: Normal ULMB with a slightly higher brightness.

As a 40 year old csgo Supreme, i can't deal with 24 inch , it's already hard enough to see my enemies @ 27 inch :oops:

So that LG screen is really what i've been wanting for a while. However, my current Acer predator is supposed to be able to do ulmb @ 144 hz, but whenever i turn it on the screen just goes black 7 out of 10 times. And it's a complete B*TCH to get it working normally again.

The fact that the BenQ is basically developed with ulmb in mind , is appealing.