Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby A Solid lad » 27 Feb 2018, 08:04

Doom Slayer wrote:No... it is not like you are playing on 100hz if you have 100 fps. As chief explaines it dozen of times... you will have lower input lag on 240hz wtih 100fps then on 120hz with 100fps.
Yes in order to see 240hz you need to have 240 fps obviously but still you'll have less input lag on 240hz even if you can't reach 240 fps

+1
Youtube Twitch
Steam profile with PC Specs
Monitors I've used/use: IBM p275, Benq XL2411Z, Alienware AW2518Hf, Alienware AW2518H, Acer XF270HA, LG 27GK750F-B, Benq XL2740, ACER XB271HU, ACER XG270HUa, Benq XL2720Z, Benq XL2540
User avatar
A Solid lad
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 08:07
Location: Slovakia

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 27 Feb 2018, 16:38

Just to cover my bases:
-- This, indeed, assuming same delivery/processing lag (cable lag, pixel by pixel refreshing, similar panel tech) -- you can have a laggier high-Hz display than a low-lag low-Hz display.

That said, assuming everything else equal, using a higher refresh rate always reduces input lag and lag jitter (MIN/MAX) from real world high-speed-camera game lag measurement tests.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6374
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby lexlazootin » 28 Feb 2018, 05:42

It's very nice to have the lower latency but i personally think a bigger deal is the less noticeable screen tearing at 240hz. Because the picture is getting updated to often the screen tears become so much less noticeable. HL speedrunning is limited by 100fps if you play on the WON version and it's a much nicer experience on 240hz because of this.

When we get 1000hz OLEDs we might not even need G-Sync. :lol:
User avatar
lexlazootin
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 02:57

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby PanzerIV » 01 Mar 2018, 05:11

Doom Slayer wrote:No... it is not like you are playing on 100hz if you have 100 fps. As chief explaines it dozen of times... you will have lower input lag on 240hz wtih 100fps then on 120hz with 100fps.
Yes in order to see 240hz you need to have 240 fps obviously but still you'll have less input lag on 240hz even if you can't reach 240 fps
Ahhh! That is really good to know, thanks for the info. I've been following the chief a lot but that was long ago with my previous monitors. I did less with my XL2730Z seeing that it wasn't compatible at all with the utility and that I had no way to improve it anyhow.

Guess at least I was just half-wrong, there are still some benefits from having an "overkill Hz" unless there are huge diminishing returns and that going from 120Hz to 240Hz only provide 1-2ms gain of input lag.

However now if I understand correctly that time, in order to get the best results with any "Motion Blur Reduction" strobing, you MUST match the Hz/FPS and in that scenario, you will get much better results at 100Hz/100FPS than being at 240Hz/100fps right? If yes, then it's gonna be useless to have a 240Hz monitor as they will cost a shitload more, it will never be possible to get that many frames at all time... and most importantly, I would rather priorize motion blur reduction over a 1-2ms reduction of inputlag for playing Quake, BF1, UT, etc.
Intel i5 8600K @ 5.0Ghz | EVGA GTX1080 8Gb @ 2100Mhz | MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | Corsair 2x8Gb DDR4-3200
Acer XB271HU + Shimian QH270 "1440P IPS"
User avatar
PanzerIV
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 12:55
Location: Canada > Quebec

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby RealNC » 01 Mar 2018, 05:24

PanzerIV wrote:However now if I understand correctly that time, in order to get the best results with any "Motion Blur Reduction" strobing, you MUST match the Hz/FPS and in that scenario, you will get much better results at 100Hz/100FPS than being at 240Hz/100fps right? If yes, then it's gonna be useless to have a 240Hz monitor as they will cost a shitload more, it will never be possible to get that many frames at all time... and most importantly, I would rather priorize motion blur reduction over a 1-2ms reduction of inputlag for playing Quake, BF1, UT, etc.

These monitors are targeted at CS:GO, OW, Quake, etc players. For other games, you'd be using 120Hz, 100Hz, or something like that when using blur reduction.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
User avatar
RealNC
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby Techno Viking » 03 Mar 2018, 15:25

Well, i ordered the LG .
BenQ can suck my balls with their secretive sh*t about their "DyAc" and pussy move to stick to 24,5 inch .
Techno Viking
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 07:56

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby lexlazootin » 03 Mar 2018, 22:59

Techno Viking wrote:Well, i ordered the LG .
BenQ can suck my balls with their secretive sh*t about their "DyAc" and pussy move to stick to 24,5 inch .


They don't really have a choice? They have a 27inch 240hz and a 24.5inch 240hz because those are the two panels that can do 240hz. it's not like they make their own panels.

Yea, i'm still not sure what DyAc is and I've been here for a while :lol: i think it might be a voltage boost to their backlight?! But their demonstration video would indicate it's something to reduce bluring which idk...
User avatar
lexlazootin
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 02:57

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby A Solid lad » 04 Mar 2018, 02:19

I don't think anyone really knows (besides Benq employees) what DyAc does, other than increasing the brightness... (assuming it does more...)

...and even less so, HOW it does it.
Which is equally interesting imo.
Youtube Twitch
Steam profile with PC Specs
Monitors I've used/use: IBM p275, Benq XL2411Z, Alienware AW2518Hf, Alienware AW2518H, Acer XF270HA, LG 27GK750F-B, Benq XL2740, ACER XB271HU, ACER XG270HUa, Benq XL2720Z, Benq XL2540
User avatar
A Solid lad
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 17 Feb 2018, 08:07
Location: Slovakia

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby Techno Viking » 04 Mar 2018, 03:20

lexlazootin wrote:
Techno Viking wrote:Well, i ordered the LG .
BenQ can suck my balls with their secretive sh*t about their "DyAc" and pussy move to stick to 24,5 inch .


They don't really have a choice? They have a 27inch 240hz and a 24.5inch 240hz because those are the two panels that can do 240hz. it's not like they make their own panels.

Yea, i'm still not sure what DyAc is and I've been here for a while :lol: i think it might be a voltage boost to their backlight?! But their demonstration video would indicate it's something to reduce bluring which idk...


BenQ's 27 inch screen does not strobe @ 240 hz. Only their 25 inch screen does.
Techno Viking
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 25 Feb 2018, 07:56

Re: Lightboost vs ULMB vs Benq BlurR. vs DyAc INPUT LAG

Postby PanzerIV » 04 Mar 2018, 03:41

Techno Viking wrote:Well, i ordered the LG .
BenQ can suck my balls with their secretive sh*t about their "DyAc" and pussy move to stick to 24,5 inch .

I'm thinking the same and the price of the new BenQ has just gone crazy yet even without G-Sync. I'm gonna try selling my (XL2730Z) which I find useless now that I know it can't even strob at 100Hz and it's getting hard in AAA games at 1440p to always have 120FPS or 144FPS. Also I'm getting tired of TN panels and it's dumb to use a TN as a main panel and have to use a secondary monitor on a dual-arm on my desk so my other one can have good colors and angles for photo editing. Why not have just 1 monitor that can do it all instead?

I was kind of scared though of going from 1ms to 5ms as it is what most IPS are but I've seen the new one at 165Hz are 4ms which now reduces the gap between my TN and their IPS to only a loss of 3ms which I doubt is a big deal. Definitely a compromise I will be willing to do for much better angles, no more color shifting from moving a few inch my head while sitting at 1 arm of distance of a 27" monitor, etc.

Now I'm just hesitating between the (Acer XB271HU) or (Asus PG279Q) and both have very good reviews, absolutely the same specs... and my guess is that since it is IPS it is prolly both the same panel behind and something from LG anyhow but you do pay the "Asus Tax" for the brand name but it is a lot when you see about +200$CAD!

Now is it true that it is possible on all G-Sync monitors that supports ULMB, to use both at the same time with some custom resolution/timing tricks or is it a huge pain in the ass and very complicated to do, buggy, and not worth it?
Intel i5 8600K @ 5.0Ghz | EVGA GTX1080 8Gb @ 2100Mhz | MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | Corsair 2x8Gb DDR4-3200
Acer XB271HU + Shimian QH270 "1440P IPS"
User avatar
PanzerIV
 
Posts: 48
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 12:55
Location: Canada > Quebec

PreviousNext

Return to Eliminating Motion Blur — LightBoost / ULMB / ELMB / DyAc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 5 guests