Does the LG 34UC89G-B really have no ULMB mode?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
erack

Does the LG 34UC89G-B really have no ULMB mode?

Post by erack » 24 Feb 2018, 21:16

This monitor seems to be very absent from discussions online. It's price recently came down I figured it's a good time to ask.

On Blur Buster's List of Best Ultrawide Monitors, it is the only Ultrawide with a 2560×1080 resolution and G-SYNC. However, the list says there's no Blur Reduction option of any type. I can't seem to find any other confirmation online that there really is no ULMB mode. Isn't having a ULMB mode a requirement to get the G-SYNC certification? Also, the FreeSync version does come with LG Blur Reduction, it seems odd they would remove it from the G-SYNC version.

Can any owners comment if there really is no Blur Reduction modes present on the 34UC89G-B?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Does the LG 34UC89G-B really have no ULMB mode?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2018, 22:39

Unfortunately, not all G-SYNC monitors have ULMB.

As a rule of thumb:
- Most G-SYNC monitors 144Hz and up, have ULMB.
- No G-SYNC monitors 100Hz-or-less have ULMB.
- ULMB is harder to engineer well on VA/IPS than TN.

However, curiously, the FreeSync version of this same ultrawide monitor, apparently does have LG's motion blur reduction mode ("1ms Blur Reduction" is the code name for the LG strobe backlight)

Nothing stops a monitor manufacturer from engineering blur reduction at any refresh rates. A Blur Busters article, Electronics Hacking: Creating A Strobe Backlight has already helped some manufacturers begin engineering motion blur reduction (strobe backlights) for the first time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Feb 2018, 23:25

Chief Blur Buster wrote:However, curiously, the FreeSync version of this same ultrawide monitor, apparently does have LG's motion blur reduction mode
That's up to nvidia. There's no freesync certification process, but there is for g-sync. If nvidia thinks the panel is not good enough for strobing and has unacceptable levels of crosstalk, they will not enable ULMB on it. For freesync, you can do whatever you want. AMD doesn't care.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

erack

Post by erack » 24 Feb 2018, 23:47

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:However, curiously, the FreeSync version of this same ultrawide monitor, apparently does have LG's motion blur reduction mode
That's up to nvidia. There's no freesync certification process, but there is for g-sync. If nvidia thinks the panel is not good enough for strobing and has unacceptable levels of crosstalk, they will not enable ULMB on it. For freesync, you can do whatever you want. AMD doesn't care.
Ah, so LG's motion blur reduction mode did not met Nvidia's quality requirements, so they weren't allowed to include it on a G-SYNC certified display?

Hopefully the overclocked 165Hz refresh rate on this monitor is a good enough alternative to a ULMB mode, as I am very sensitive to blurring/ghosting, even at high refresh rates.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Feb 2018, 23:50

erack wrote:Ah, so LG's motion blur reduction mode did not met Nvidia's quality requirements, so they weren't allowed to include it on a G-SYNC certified display?
LG probably didn't want to raise costs by including two scalers in the monitor (the g-sync module and their own). If we assume nvidia didn't allow them to enable ULMB, they would need to add their own scaler in the monitor in order to use their own blur reduction mode. BenQ is known for doing this. But this adds cost to the monitor.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2018, 00:56

RealNC wrote:
However, NVIDIA is not 100% consistent about this.

There's plenty of panels that can do ULMB better than the worst ULMB, if only ULMB will be provided.

You can do ULMB at 85Hz and 100Hz only (skipping 120Hz) for example.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ahmedpc03

Post by ahmedpc03 » 13 Jun 2018, 03:33

if we compare this monitor with the asus pg279q, which one have less motion blur ?

erack

Post by erack » 21 Apr 2020, 00:56

Follow up to my old post instead of creating a new thread (built a new gaming PC so have more time and reason to play around with this)

This monitor can do 144hz with Fast response time or 166hz with Normal response. When I do the UFO ghosting test, at 144hz/Fast the little legs of the UFO, I see what looks like 4 legs sticking out (original dark pair and 1 ghosted pair). When I do 166hz/Normal it looks like it has 6 legs sticking out (2 original and 2 pairs of ghosted ones). That would indicate that 144hz/Fast is the better mode to use, correct?

erack

Post by erack » 23 Sep 2020, 23:47

^bump for my previous question